Noobquestion/attack

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
schmolywar

Noobquestion/attack

Post by schmolywar »

So sometimes I can use on unit to quickly "push" and chase an enemy unit aside without planning an attack. What is this called and what is it?
"The Russian advance over this hastily improvised road, constructed with the aid of the most primitive facilities, was, for a time,accompanied by the strains of band music.".

-Peculiarities of russian warfare
Shadrach

RE: Noobquestion/attack

Post by Shadrach »

I believe this is called an "Overrun" attack and is done when the enemy unit is very weak compared to your own. Be aware though, it still has a time cost - so moving another unit into a hex you overran, will cost you the time it took for the movement of the attacking unit.
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Retreat Before Combat [RBC]. Some sources call it an RFC [Retreat From Combat]. Not an overrun attack, bu the retreating unit usually suffers a Disengagement Attack [and sometimes will evaporate as a result].
schmolywar

Post by schmolywar »

Right, so im playing the Korea tutorial and Ive noticed that when the AI plays against South Korea, instead of surrounding units and "planning an attack" it just pushes them around a bit before killing them off. How do I realistically know if this is something I can do in a scenario?
"The Russian advance over this hastily improvised road, constructed with the aid of the most primitive facilities, was, for a time,accompanied by the strains of band music.".

-Peculiarities of russian warfare
sPzAbt653

Post by sPzAbt653 »

Knowing would be unrealistic [;)]
KaiserMaulwurf

Post by KaiserMaulwurf »

I'm also curious about this mechanic. Is there a way of preventing your forces from advancing after overrunning an enemy? I've had cases where I want to make a limited attack but this happens and I end up forced to defend a salient I never intended to create.
Flg, Court-Martialed for impersonating Wilhelm II of Prussia.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

ORIGINAL: KaiserMaulwurf

I'm also curious about this mechanic. Is there a way of preventing your forces from advancing after overrunning an enemy? I've had cases where I want to make a limited attack but this happens and I end up forced to defend a salient I never intended to create.
Yes, in order to avoid the RBC of the enemy you have to use the "combat planner" either by using the key P over the enemy hex or the context menu by holding the mouse right click (the needed delay can be configured in the options).
Also, if you don't want that you unit advance to the enemy location use the "limited attack" option.

EDIT: the holding of the right click to wait for the context menu doesn't work, the overruns happens anyway. So the only choice is using the P key.
bde4soldier223

Post by bde4soldier223 »

or you can double click the enemy hex. that brings the planner as well
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

ORIGINAL: bde4soldier223

or you can double click the enemy hex. that brings the planner as well
Yes, thank you. Forgot about that one because I deactivated it.
bde4soldier223

Post by bde4soldier223 »

with the left mouse button, if you were wondering.
KaiserMaulwurf

Post by KaiserMaulwurf »

Nice- thank you, I wasn't sure the locked auto-advance was a deliberate mechanic or not.
Flg, Court-Martialed for impersonating Wilhelm II of Prussia.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”