Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Carrier air combat

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> NetPlay Tech Support >> Carrier air combat Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Carrier air combat - 12/9/2017 2:13:26 AM   
Sabre21

Bill and I are playing a Global war scenario again using 2.7.1 and I as the allies declared war on Italy and moved around 20 or so ships into a sea zone with a half a dozen Italian ships.

I initiated combat and did a search which the allies ended up with 6 surprise points. I had 3 CV's in the task force and when asked if I wanted to do a naval air attack I selected yes.

I choose two of the aircraft as bombers since there were no Italian fighters in the zone and placed all 6 surprise points into increasing damage.

A window popped up saying the allies were taking anti-aircraft fire, but no fire was received and when I tried clicking on the pop-up OK button, I couldn't and the game locked up.

We tried this multiple times with every time the anti-aircraft window popped up on the screen, the game wouldn't advance past that phase. Just so you know at this point I couldn't click on anything. I had to use ctrl-alt-del to close the game out.

We finally gave up on this and went with a straight naval engagement. I sunk 1 and damaged 2 ships but he was able to select the 3 ships to be sunk or damaged. I thought the one that got the surprise did the first ship, then the non-phasing side does one and this alternates back and forth?

Is anyone else running into either of these 2 problems on netplay?

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 12/9/2017 2:16:36 AM >

Post #: 1
RE: Carrier air combat - 12/9/2017 3:31:05 AM   
paulderynck

Have not seen this issue, but have not been playing much Netplay lately.

But the defender selects all damage in surface combat unless the attacker spends 3 surprise to select a target (so that part is OK). FREX you could have spent all six to select the first two targets.

But the result you got seems wrong, wouldn't 20 ships give you a LOT of surface factors? I usually have the WiF charts at hand for making naval combat decisions and without spending surprise I'd estimate you'd have something like 2X 2D 3A against 6 enemy ships.

If each of you could post a Phasing Naval Combat saved game from that turn, it would help Steve a lot in chasing down the bug(s).

Paul

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 2
RE: Carrier air combat - 12/9/2017 4:11:40 AM   
Sabre21

The result you posted seems pretty close to what we had, it was 2 and not 1 destroyed. Anyhoos, I will try and see if we have those save games, buy since we just bypassed the air and went straight to naval and finished that turn, I suspect those savegames may be over written. I'll check though.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 3
RE: Carrier air combat - 12/9/2017 6:37:32 AM   
paulderynck

It may be in the Auto Save folder if that was the last impulse. If not, it gets overwritten in the next impulse.

Paul

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 4
RE: Carrier air combat - 12/14/2017 12:17:19 AM   
Sabre21

Ok..an update on this. Bill an I ran into another situation where the British carriers are hitting the Italian fleet in western med. This is on Netplay by the way. In solo mode I do not run into this issue.

The same exact thing is happening again where the game crashes during this phase. It looks like the non-phasing side's air defense is out of sequence or just not working properly that is messing up the whole thing.

In this instance I had a search of a 2 and the Italians had an 8 I think. I had a total of 6 surprise points. When asked if I wanted to conduct an air attack I selected yes. I didn't put any points into reducing his air defense and planned on putting them all into increasing my air attack damage.

As I passed the first screen with the decrease enemy anti-air option we each got a pop up indicating there was no Axis fighters and another indicating Allies receiving anti-air fire. He selected both of the pop-up ok's and they went away. When I selected the ok's on my screen, the fighter one went away but the AA one remained.

The screen where you assign damage or abort to ships popped up and we each selected ships until all the choices were finished then hit Done and that screen went away, but my AA pop-up was still there but then another AA pop-up occurred running through the various hits my planes were receiving. This was after my allied air attack took place. Bill then got a crash occurrence on his screen. So we managed to have current games with this problem on it.

I'm attaching both of our copies. Make an air attack from the British carriers onto the Italian fleet following a successful allied search. Run through the sequence watching for those AA pop-ups. I don't think we are pressing them at the same time since we are talking over a speaker phone to ensure we don't do that and walking thru this problem slowly. I'm pretty sure the air defense is messing this all up and we cant find a work around other than not to conduct CV based air attacks onto another fleet.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 5
RE: Carrier air combat - 12/14/2017 12:19:31 AM   
Sabre21

Here is the Axis game save. I hope this problem can be figured out and fixed in Netplay. Otherwise our upcoming battles in the Pacific whenever the US comes in will be Fubar'ed.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 6
RE: Carrier air combat - 12/14/2017 3:04:34 AM   
Dabrion

I there a conclusion in there that reads: "net play does not work!" Or Jedi version of it ?

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to Sabre21)
Post #: 7
RE: Carrier air combat - 12/14/2017 4:04:49 PM   
Sabre21

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

I there a conclusion in there that reads: "net play does not work!" Or Jedi version of it ?

Netplay does work. I've logged a couple hundred hours on it over the last couple months and to the most part it is doing fairly well.

There are a few bugs that crop up here and there and are aggravating at times (like air to air combat) but this last one we can't find a way to make it work. Steve squashed a couple bad ones last month that helped out and I hope he can get on this one soon. I would have liked to have sunk a couple Italian BB's without exposing my British CV's, but oh well, that's what I have French BB's for, unfortunately, neither they nor the Italians seem to be able to find each other.

Since Bill and I are again only about half way thru 1940, the war in the Pacific hasn't really kicked off yet so it's still mainly a land war in Europe and China with a few naval skirmishes in the Med and north Atlantic.

< Message edited by Sabre21 -- 12/14/2017 4:12:59 PM >

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support >> NetPlay Tech Support >> Carrier air combat Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI