Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Edit save game to play longer?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Edit save game to play longer? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Edit save game to play longer? - 12/7/2017 3:27:37 PM   
Shadrach

I'm currently playing a scenario (Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944), where it's obvious I will never ever finish in the allocated number of turns. In fact this is my second play, and I don't think it's possible to finish this as the designer intended as the Russians. Maybe borked because of new rules in TOAW4, I don't know...

But I'd still like to play it as 'what if' and just continue to clear out the Germans.

I've found I can open the save (sal file) in the editor, and edit the end turn. But not if this is enough, or if this is a recommended way of doing this?

Are the other settings in the editor I need to be aware of, to make sure I can continue playing it after turn 30?

Maybe better to edit the sce file directly and start it from scratch? But I don't really want to do this...
Post #: 1
RE: Edit save game to play longer? - 12/7/2017 3:30:54 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shadrach
I'm currently playing a scenario (Petsamo-Kirkenes 1944), where it's obvious I will never ever finish in the allocated number of turns. In fact this is my second play, and I don't think it's possible to finish this as the designer intended as the Russians. Maybe borked because of new rules in TOAW4, I don't know...

But I'd still like to play it as 'what if' and just continue to clear out the Germans.

I've found I can open the save (sal file) in the editor, and edit the end turn. But not if this is enough, or if this is a recommended way of doing this?

Are the other settings in the editor I need to be aware of, to make sure I can continue playing it after turn 30?

Maybe better to edit the sce file directly and start it from scratch? But I don't really want to do this...

I've heard through the grapevine that when you edit an ongoing game the editor automatically set's the current turn to 1
as if you're starting over again with the game. Good luck with your project. Let us know if we can help.

"If it disagrees with experiment, it's wrong. And that simple statement is the key to science." Anon.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 2
RE: Edit save game to play longer? - 12/7/2017 3:40:21 PM   
Shadrach

Yeah... I just tried, didn't notice the turn thing, but what happens is I get an error saying the scenario can't be played in this version of TOAW

I guess editing save games in not the same as editing a scenario, I was hoping it would be basically the same type of file.

Maybe if I save it as a SCE file instead, but then all the events will be broken since I would start on turn 1?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 3
RE: Edit save game to play longer? - 12/7/2017 3:43:44 PM   
larryfulkerson

I'm not sure what works 'cause I've never done it but there are people
who have, mostly multi-player game types. Try saving it as an SCE
file and I have no idea what the events will do. Probably start
over at turn one.

"If it disagrees with experiment, it's wrong. And that simple statement is the key to science." Anon.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 4
RE: Edit save game to play longer? - 12/7/2017 4:07:51 PM   
Shadrach

I saved it as an SCE file, but it loads up on turn 1, so all events will be off. I might have to go through and delete all events before the turn I am on.

Or just start from turn 1 again, may as well I guess...

Unless someone has some clever hacks to trick the game into loading an edited save game?

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 5
RE: Edit save game to play longer? - 12/7/2017 5:28:55 PM   
sPzAbt653

Don't fiddle with editing a sal-converted-sce file. Easier to make a new scenario and start over.

Turn on 'Scenario Variability' in the Game Options. This will extend the game beyond its' End Date. I don't know for how long.

(in reply to Shadrach)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> Edit save game to play longer? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI