Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

newbie corp hq

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> newbie corp hq Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
newbie corp hq - 12/7/2017 9:22:53 AM   
tonyscrase

I think I am right in saying the further away a corp hq is from the unit the less chance you will get any benefit from it.

for leader combat benefits is the distance measured at the time of combat or is the distance measured at the beginning of the turn

THANK YOU
Post #: 1
RE: newbie corp hq - 12/7/2017 10:50:29 AM   
loki100

Theres a few rules that relate to this, basically:

a) must be within 5 hexes at the moment of combat to be allocated Support Units from the HQ (artillery etc);
b) Leader effectiveness starts to decline with range and HQ hierachy.

In this case a corps commander gives out their full leadership scores if within 5 hexes, army commanders work at 15 and so on. Morale ratings have no distance modifier (which is often one reason why putting high morale commanders into the most senior posts can be a good idea).

For leadership checks, basically the corps commander is tested. If they pass then the planned action (allocate SU, supply etc) happens, if they fail then the next up the chain is tested. Each step back from the front line, the actual leader ratings are reduced but if you have good commanders at each stage, you have a very high chance of passing the checks.

There was a rule in WiTW when it was first released that encouraged keeping Corps at 1 hex - *I think* this was removed some time ago.

AARs:
WiTW: Once Upon a Time (somewhere)in the West; Fischia il vento; (oh) For a few Panzers More; XXX Corps Diary; Infamy, Infamy!
Others at AGEOD
PoN: A clear bright sun

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 2
RE: newbie corp hq - 12/7/2017 11:12:17 AM   
tonyscrase

THANK YOU VERY MUCH

I now understand

(in reply to tonyscrase)
Post #: 3
RE: newbie corp hq - 12/8/2017 12:22:24 AM   
Lovenought

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

Theres a few rules that relate to this, basically:

a) must be within 5 hexes at the moment of combat to be allocated Support Units from the HQ (artillery etc);
b) Leader effectiveness starts to decline with range and HQ hierachy.

In this case a corps commander gives out their full leadership scores if within 5 hexes, army commanders work at 15 and so on. Morale ratings have no distance modifier (which is often one reason why putting high morale commanders into the most senior posts can be a good idea).

For leadership checks, basically the corps commander is tested. If they pass then the planned action (allocate SU, supply etc) happens, if they fail then the next up the chain is tested. Each step back from the front line, the actual leader ratings are reduced but if you have good commanders at each stage, you have a very high chance of passing the checks.

There was a rule in WiTW when it was first released that encouraged keeping Corps at 1 hex - *I think* this was removed some time ago.

Sounds like the system in Steel Panthers WW2. Does every leader only get 1 failure per turn? Or can they keep doing checks to compensate for the failures of every subordinate? In SP, if the captain of a company fails in his attempt to provide Rally for an infantry squad, that's it, he can't try to help any more subordinate units that phase.

So if Eisenhower fails the roll to help one Corps, can he still try to help other Corps?

< Message edited by Lovenought -- 12/8/2017 12:24:00 AM >

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 4
RE: newbie corp hq - 12/8/2017 1:45:36 AM   
Joel Billings

They try to help everyone.

All understanding comes after the fact.
-- Soren Kierkegaard

(in reply to Lovenought)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> newbie corp hq Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI