Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

3D models and 2d map

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> 3D models and 2d map Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
3D models and 2d map - 12/4/2017 10:42:57 AM   
fulcrum28

may someone tell me the format of the 3D models files or how to edit them to paint them for example? Is it possible to add them on the 2D map?

Thanks!

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)
Post #: 1
RE: 3D models and 2d map - 12/4/2017 11:39:59 PM   
sPzAbt653

Pictured below are some of the 3D Units, there are 1540 of them !

Probably easier to change the map. I haven't had time to do it, but I intend to mess with changing the 3D map to the 2D one. That would require renaming all 'tile' and 's_tiles' to 'D3_tiles' and 's_D3_tiles', to see what effect there is, and what else might need to be done, and if it even works.

Edit: I tried a quick change of file names but that didn't fool TOAW, and the result was quite a graphics mess!

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by sPzAbt653 -- 12/5/2017 1:20:02 AM >

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 2
RE: 3D models and 2d map - 12/5/2017 11:00:00 AM   
fulcrum28

you mean you failed with the map?
thank you for the screenshot.
is there some excel file that associate each bmp file name e.g. i99115tbmp with the real unit name e.g. Panzer IV ? itwould be helpful, so I can quickly find and edit/improve the ones I'm interested in for my scenario.

The most comprehensive website on the IJN Imperial Japanese Navy Y:"Let us enjoy the beauty of the moon (sinking aboard Hiryu)

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: 3D models and 2d map - 12/5/2017 1:04:57 PM   
sPzAbt653

Yes, a map failure, it was a jumbled mess.
I don't know of a way to associate the bmp's with the unit, I have never messed with the 3D fella's.

(in reply to fulcrum28)
Post #: 4
RE: 3D models and 2d map - 12/5/2017 1:50:37 PM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: fulcrum28

may someone tell me the format of the 3D models files or how to edit them to paint them for example? Is it possible to add them on the 2D map?

Thanks!

Here's my 0.02, not quite sure but looks like the 3D models date from the Talonsoft days, they are very similar (if not the same) to original Campaign Series unit images from that era.

Looks like there's four versions, one ending in 'g', 'o', 't', and 'y' respectively.

So looking at i10025g.bmp for instance, I'd guess

• 'i' is an identifier of a sort?
  • '10' is the country code? 10 is the US in Talonsoft's Campaign Series, so maybe here too. At least those look like US tanks there for instance. (00 is Soviet Union, seems to check, 01 Germany, ditto...)
  • '025' is the individual unit ID?

then, the letter is a camo color?

• 'g' is gray
  • 'o' is olive
  • 't' is tan
  • 'y' is yellow

In Campaign Series, the four camo colours were "Normal", "Early War", "Late War", and "Snow Camo". So something different here perhaps.

The files seem to be 8-bit bitmaps, 256 color format in other words. That is a PITA format, but with Campaign Series, the game engine did not mind saving them as 24-bit bitmaps. So if you wanna work with them, the very first thing I'd try is just to convert one to 24-bit color and to check if it works, and if it does always convert first then do the editing.

Hope this helps.

Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
    ---
    CS: Vietnam | CS: East Front 1939-1941 IN-THE-WORKS
    CS: Middle East 1948-1985 Fully reimaged v2.0 available now!

(in reply to fulcrum28)
  • Post #: 5
    RE: 3D models and 2d map - 12/5/2017 2:06:20 PM   
    Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

• '10' is the country code? 10 is the US in Talonsoft's Campaign Series, so maybe here too. At least those look like US tanks there for instance. (00 is Soviet Union, seems to check, 01 Germany, ditto...)

• Nation IDs between TOAW and CS seem to matchhaving looked at unit images a bit.

If so, here's the Nation IDs available for 3D images in TOAW:

• 00 Soviet Union
  • 01 Germany
  • 02 Italy
  • 03 Romania
  • 04 Hungary
  • 05 Finland
  • 07 Poland
  • 08 France
  • 09 UK
  • 10 USA
  • 21 Japan
  • 50 ??
  • 99 ??

I've never bothered with 3D side with either game really , I am a boardgame guy, so take this with a grain of salt...

Visit us at: Campaign Series Legion
    ---
    CS: Vietnam | CS: East Front 1939-1941 IN-THE-WORKS
    CS: Middle East 1948-1985 Fully reimaged v2.0 available now!

(in reply to Crossroads)
  • Post #: 6
    RE: 3D models and 2d map - 12/7/2017 11:12:14 AM   
    fulcrum28

thank you, that is very helpful. I'm succeeding to change or improve the 3d models, the main problem comes from the fact it is not so evident to insert them on the 2D map. The 3D seems out of date compared with the new beautiful 2D map. It is a pity this details where not included in the new TOAWIV.

(in reply to Crossroads)
    Post #: 7
    Page:   [1]
    All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Mods and Scenarios >> 3D models and 2d map Page: [1]
    Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
    Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
    Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
     Post New Thread
     Reply to Message
     Post New Poll
     Submit Vote
     Delete My Own Post
     Delete My Own Thread
     Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI