Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Can my old comp' run it decently ?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Can my old comp' run it decently ? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Can my old comp' run it decently ? - 12/2/2017 11:13:28 AM   
Splatsch

Hi all
I would like to buy a good space 4x game and I am thinking about buying Distant Worlds Universe (or maybe Polaris Sector, but DWU seems really awesome), but I read here and there that performances... can be "not the best" -or even really bad-, especially if you don't have a very good CPU. And I have a very old pc, so I'm a bit worry and I don't really want to buy a game which doesn't runs properly :/
So I preferred to ask you what do you think about it

Here are my specs :
Win7 64bits
Intel Core i5 2300 @ 2.80GHz
6,00 Go Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
1535MB NVIDIA GeForce GT 440

Can I expect to play the game mostly fine ?
Thanks in advance for any help :)

< Message edited by Splatsch -- 12/2/2017 11:14:36 AM >
Post #: 1
RE: Can my old comp' run it decently ? - 12/2/2017 11:27:04 AM   
Erik Rutins

Should work fine on that system, the CPU and 4GB of memory are the main things with DWU and I've seen it run well on systems with lower specs than yours. Keep in mind that if you decide to play on the largest galaxy settings and with the largest number of factions, you will see slow downs, but on medium settings it should be pretty smooth for you.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Splatsch)
Post #: 2
RE: Can my old comp' run it decently ? - 12/2/2017 11:42:52 AM   
Splatsch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Should work fine on that system, the CPU and 4GB of memory are the main things with DWU and I've seen it run well on systems with lower specs than yours. Keep in mind that if you decide to play on the largest galaxy settings and with the largest number of factions, you will see slow downs, but on medium settings it should be pretty smooth for you.

Regards,

- Erik

Ok, sounds good
Nah, I'm not expecting it to be perfectly smooth with the max galaxy size with the largest number of factions don't worry I was really more worried for a "normal" or "big" game, because for such a game playing on a small galaxy must certainly be a bit frustrating.

Thank you very much for your clear & fast answer :) I'll very certainly buy it next week, when I'll have my anniversary coupon !

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 3
RE: Can my old comp' run it decently ? - 12/2/2017 1:55:45 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

I play it on a very, very old Intel CPU T2060, 1.60 GHz, 2,0 GB RAM, Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset family..

nonetheless, it run decently smooth with seldom crashes

< Message edited by Hattori Hanzo -- 12/2/2017 1:56:44 PM >

(in reply to Splatsch)
Post #: 4
RE: Can my old comp' run it decently ? - 12/2/2017 8:20:46 PM   
SirHoraceHarkness

Oddly enough you will probably see better graphical performance with that older card due to it being more optimized for the still common pixel graphic engines of the time. The newer gpu can start to get poor performance or even buggy performance with 2d sprites as they are not really geared for it anymore. I see that as some older pixel graphics games run smoother on my old pentium dual core with gtx 9800 than my newer pc with 4th gen i5 and gtx 960.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 5
RE: Can my old comp' run it decently ? - 12/7/2017 9:51:48 PM   
Splatsch

Thank you both of you for sharing your experience, and for reassuring me :) For once I have an advantage to own an old comp' :D
I'll definitely buy it as soon as I have my anniversary coupon ! (which should arrive tomorrow if I'm not wrong !)

(in reply to SirHoraceHarkness)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds Series >> Can my old comp' run it decently ? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI