Today's Wn 10 update is causing...

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

ny59giants

Today's Wn 10 update is causing...

Post by ny59giants »

I did a long Win 10 update this morning. Now the game has random squares/rectangles from the main screen show up and make it difficult to click on anything. Any possible solutions for this??
[center]Image[/center]
witpqs

RE: Today's Wn 10 update is causing...

Post by witpqs »

Did you already try this? I don't know what else to suggest.

Attachments
Win10Trans..tSetting.jpg
Win10Trans..tSetting.jpg (133.72 KiB) Viewed 678 times
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Yep same problem this morning. [8|]
ORIGINAL: ny59giants

I did a long Win 10 update this morning. Now the game has random squares/rectangles from the main screen show up and make it difficult to click on anything. Any possible solutions for this??
Banner designed by rogueusmc
USSAmerica

Post by USSAmerica »

Sounds like it may be the same Win 10 update that was seen to cause problems in this thread: tm.asp?m=4366960

I'm not looking forward to when my two computers eventually force me to upgrade. One thing mentioned in that thread that might help is to close all other windows before starting AE so there is nothing else to "bleed through".
Mike

"Good times will set you free" - Jimmy Buffett

"They need more rum punch" - Me

Artwork by The Amazing Dixie
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Yeah, looks like the same problem I had. I never got it fixed, I just learned to live with it. I hope you come up with something I can try.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I’ve gone with Windows mode (-w) and closed all other windows. Seems to work, but have some jitters when air bombardment screen is up. Need to get bottom taskbar to hide.
[center]Image[/center]
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

My bleed through is wallpaper, same for any of you?
Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

Mine flashes back & forth. I will be clicking, then the time/date box will pop in. Move the mouse a bit, it goes away. A few clicks later and maybe this time the whole thing minimizes into the top left corner. Moving the mouse over the newly created AE hot bar brings everything back. Changing the switches fixed the problem, but created a 1 minute delay between clicks [:(]
offenseman

Post by offenseman »

This is exactly my problem. What switches did you try? I tried -w but now I have a smaller game window. Inconvenient and annoying unless I get new resolution to correct it. I have not tested it yet
Sometimes things said in Nitwit sound very different in English.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

I took out -dd_sw, but that slowed the game to a crawl. I put it back in, game plays, but I have the video issue. I just live with it.
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Well, I rolled back to update 1703. Then switched windows update to manual (thru control panel, administrative tools). I will skip update 1709. [:D]
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

ORIGINAL: patrickl

Well, I rolled back to update 1703. Then switched windows update to manual (thru control panel, administrative tools). I will skip update 1709. [:D]
Sadly, you can't. They only let sou slide for a certain period of time.
patrickl

Post by patrickl »

Tough. Just pray they solve the bugs before long.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Still holding on to my old DOS games which were promised to play on win 3.1....(lol)

BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Still holding on to my old DOS games which were promised to play on win 3.1....(lol)
[:D]

I have the "Archives Silver Edition" of the old DOS "Forgotten Realms" series of D&D role-play games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pool of Darkness, etc). They work fine in a DOS window but combat and movement happen uber-fast! Still fun after all these years.

EDIT: Sad thing is they are on a CD with a security key system to start the games, and newer PCs do not have CD/DVD players. Wish I knew how to port the games to a memory stick device and get around the security software (which requires you to find a word in the manual by page and line).
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
valkyrion

Post by valkyrion »

Yeah did the 1709 update today. Not super brutal but annoying enough, same thing with the wallpaper showing up where mouse over pop up boxes have been.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I have the "Archives Silver Edition" of the old DOS "Forgotten Realms" series of D&D role-play games (Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, Secret of the Silver Blades, Pool of Darkness, etc). They work fine in a DOS window but combat and movement happen uber-fast! Still fun after all these years.

EDIT: Sad thing is they are on a CD with a security key system to start the games, and newer PCs do not have CD/DVD players. Wish I knew how to port the games to a memory stick device and get around the security software (which requires you to find a word in the manual by page and line).

Just so you know, you can get these from Gog for very little money and they come preconfigured for dosbox use.
Look for Forgotten Realms archive #2
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown
ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

Just so you know, you can get these from Gog for very little money and they come preconfigured for dosbox use.
Look for Forgotten Realms archive #2
Thanks Bill! I have never heard of Gog so will do some searching.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

Before starting AE, I click on "Settings" and "Personalization" and "Taskbar" and "Automatically hide taskbar in desktop mode" to ON. I undo it after I'm through the turn and ready to send it back to my opponent. Yes, its a few more clicks each turn, but I already do too many. [:D]

My switchs are....
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition - Brian\Beta2\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -deepColor -archive -dd_sw -px1920 -py1080 -w

Yes, I still get a some jitter in the Combat Replay screen, but its tolerable.
[center]Image[/center]
Theages

Post by Theages »

I have done some testing. It seems that running Fullscreen (the -f switch) will always have the "bleed-through" effect.
Using the -w switch (windowed mode) does not seem to have this effect. The problem with windowed mode is the size of the window.
When you use your monitors native resolution for the -px and -py switches, the window is too big. Especially the taskbar is overlapping the game window. The Hide Taskbar option will alleviate this, but there are still some pixel overlapped by the tiny bar on the bottom.

To solve this problem you have to adjust the size of the window.
For a monitor with a native resolution of 1920x1080 (at 60Hz) that would mean to set the window size using -px1980 -py1000.
If your graphics card does support this resolution (unlikely) that is all what it takes.
On my Intel HD 530 that resolution does not work, since 1980x1000 is no valid monitor resolution.

BUT: The Intel driver allows to define custom monitor resolutions. My native language is german, so I have guess at what the english translation is. I think it should be something like this: In the taskbar there is an icon for the Intel Graphic Settings. Opening this settings leads to a screen, where you click on the Display picture. On the following screen choose Custom Resolution. Confirm with Yes. Enter the values for Width (1980), Height (1000) and Refresh rate (60). Click Add. Confirm with Yes.
That's it.

If your window seems to wide you can also use a lower value instead of 1920. NOTICE: sometimes the value you enter is not the value that is created. Eg.: when I entered 1900 x 1000 x 60, the created resolution was 1904 x 1000 x 60. You have to adjust your -px and -py values accordingly.

For different GPU manufacturers there should be a similar method.

Return to “Tech Support”