Scenario Editor

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

djr007

Scenario Editor

Post by djr007 »

I just bought the game. But when, I open the Editor, I find that there are no scenarios to modify or edit. Help please
Alfred

RE: Scenario Editor

Post by Alfred »

Scenario slots 1-25 inclusive are reserved for official scenarios.  It is not possible to save any alteration to these slots.

You will have to open one of the official scenarios and save it to a slot higher than #25.  Then open this "new" scenario and do your edits.

Alfred
djr007

Post by djr007 »

That's the problem. Slots 1-25 are blank.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Forget about trying to edit or modify a scenario.

Start up the game and confirm you can select a scenario to start play as either the Japanese or Allied player.  If none are available, then you haven't properly installed the game.

Alfred
djr007

Post by djr007 »

I was able to do that. Are you suggesting that I must settle for a less than complete product?
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

If you can start a game using any of the official scenarios then you can load any of them into the editor and do what I said in post #2.  If your post #3 is true then you can't start a game at all because there are no scenarios in those slots.

Read the Editor PDF manual found in your manual sub-folder.

Alfred  
djr007

Post by djr007 »

I have started the Ironman scenario, played the first turn, then saved in slot 26. However, the Editor slots are still blank, with none of the pre-loaded scenarios or my saved turn.

Perhaps I should add that my laptop uses Window 10?
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: djr007

I have started the Ironman scenario, played the first turn, then saved in slot 26. However, the Editor slots are still blank, with none of the pre-loaded scenarios or my saved turn.

It sounds like you are confusing the "Save Game" slots which are for gameplay use with the "Scenario Slots" which have the actual database info. As Alfred said, once you start the Editor program, it is blank because it does not know which scenario you want to look at. So you must go to the disk icon at the upper left and select "Open File" and it will list the scenarios it has available. Choose the one you want and it will load up the info.
The various data is arranged according to the headings at the top so you need to try each of the headings to find everything you are looking for.
For example, "Locations" contains Base info as you might expect, but also unit info since they must be on the map already or appear later in one of the locations in the DB.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

You cannot edit a saved game.

1. Launch the editor.
2. Open one of the official scenarios.
3. Immediately "save as" the chosen official scenario to a scenario slot above #25.
4. Exit editor.
5. Really read the PDF editor manual. You are not that knowledgeable to be able to "wing" your way without knowing what the different editor fields represent.
6. Launch the editor.
7. Open the scenario # you saved in step 3 above.
8. Edit the scenario.
9. Save scenario #.
10. Exit the editor.

For further modifications follow steps #6-10 inclusive.

Alfred
djr007

Post by djr007 »

I appreciate your advice, and have played the game for years on an older computer. I also understand that when opening the editor I must slect one of the pre-loaded scenarios. The problem is that none of those scenarios exist in the editor. They do in the Game Menu, but not the editor.
djr007

Post by djr007 »

I understand what you are saying, but when I open the scenario editor and click on open file, all the slots are blank...there are no official scenarios present. I know this is not right as I have the game on an older computer and the information is all there.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

It sounds like your scenarios are in a different directory in the file system than the game. Did you have the game previously and then update it or re-install in a different directory. Post a screenshot of the file system that includes the game files if you can.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
djr007

Post by djr007 »

Is it possible to transfer a game installed in one game and transfer it to another?
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

If you are unable to see the stock scenarios in the editor, the editor is not looking at the correct folder whatsoever.
Check the path of the game itself, (normally it will be inside the Matrixgames folder.)
Open that Matrixgames folder and look for the WITPAE folder.
Open it and look for the editor icon.
Open it and at top left corner, load the scenario folder. (It will show the path which you wish to open.)

For ease, as I edit OFTEN, and have for years, I create a desktop shortcut for the editor.
Just remember when you "load" the scenario file to check the path you with to edit.

djr007

Post by djr007 »

What is the Matrix folder? I assume it is not the desktop icon.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

What is the Matrix folder? I assume it is not the desktop icon.
Open "Windows Explorer" (should be an icon on your screen edge with a folder in a holder).
Win Explorer will display your file system as a "Root" structure. Your main storage device is your hard drive "C:" and everything else branches off from it.
DO NOT mess with the Windows set of files if you do not know what you are doing.
If you let the game install with no changes there should be a set of files under a folder called Matrix Games. You may need to click on the C: to expand the list of files there, then click on Matrix Games folder to expand that. From there your WITP-AE stuff should be easy to see. Just click on any folder to see contents.
djr007

Post by djr007 »

I followed your instructions (BTW in Windows 10 it's called "File Explorer") Located the Editor files. They are all blank. No scenarios.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

Well the game knows where to find the scenarios so you could just copy the game scenario files over to wherever you have the editor. Any scenarios you create in editor you might have to copy back to the game area to play them.

But if installed properly, the editor should be able to find the scenario files the game is using. I suspect you changed the "Look in" path in the shortcut you have for the Editor or the Autorun.exe if you start the Editor from there. Make sure the path follows all the folders to where the files are.
djr007

Post by djr007 »

I thank everyone for their help, but this is sounding just wy too complex for me. I already have the game on another computer and the files were all where they were supposed to be. I suspect that if I have o alternative that to buy another copy from Matrix. It sounds like a rip-off, but what else can I do?
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

Have started the correct Editor and clicked on File do you see anything on the left side of the Scenario List box?

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (65.43 KiB) Viewed 89 times

Return to “Tech Support”