Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

supply basics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> supply basics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
supply basics - 11/27/2017 3:17:18 PM   
Phoenix100

So I thought I was doing quite well with the Kasserine tutorial, but now, on turn 7, I notice that the supply situation is dreadful. Supply isn't anything I've paid any attention to yet, except to make sure there weren't enemy units left behind to cut my supply lines. So now I'll go read the manual and search for videos, documents, threads on supply. But, looking at the picture below, can anyone who has already done all this give me a clue? Why, for example, would the circled unit (from 21st Panzer) have such low supply? Many thanks.

And this unit isn't alone. Nearly all the Axis units are in single figures for supply.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Phoenix100 -- 11/27/2017 3:18:16 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: supply basics - 11/27/2017 4:19:00 PM   
sPzAbt653

Maybe this helps:

TOAW Tutorial - Supply
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhVdL9ukZa8

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 2
RE: supply basics - 11/27/2017 6:22:21 PM   
Phoenix100

Very helpful. Thanks. So, I watched that, read the manual part on supply, loked at Obesrt Kilmt's ongoing supply tutorial.

I still have a few questions, though.

What does the supply radius number control? This isn't explained anywhere I can find, I think....

I can now work out that the reason my Axis units are so low on supplies is that the scenario setting for supply (my force stockpile level) is only 25, and hence, more or less, the highest we get, right at the supply entry points at map edge, is around 29. This goes down as you go off into the map, ending up in single figures near the middle of the map, where my units presently are. So even if they can trace clean supply lines they aren't going to get a super-abundance of stuff. So another question - tactically, what should I be doing in this situation to try to get them more supply? They can operate only badly on 1% or 8%. They are placed on hexes, or surrounded by hexes that have a very low supply figure. What can I do? I can move an HQ adjacent, I've learned. That gives some boost. If there are supply units in the scenario I can move them near (but there are not). Does resting the units increase their supply - does their doing nothing allow them to stockpile a little? (You rest them how? - by just keeping them still doing nothing?) Anything else?

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 3
RE: supply basics - 11/27/2017 6:29:50 PM   
thewood1

There are at least 4-5 pages dedicated to supply in the manual section 9.1.7. Its for advanced rules, but is a pretty good description of supply impact in the game.

When I have a question about a specific topic, the first thing I do is use search in the PDF manual. Its how I found the supply section. The radius is detailed in a couple parts of the above section.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 4
RE: supply basics - 11/27/2017 6:53:24 PM   
Phoenix100

Yeah, read all that, thanks. My tactical question (above) still stands. That is - what do you do - given all that - to get more supply?

quote:

I can now work out that the reason my Axis units are so low on supplies is that the scenario setting for supply (my force stockpile level) is only 25, and hence, more or less, the highest we get, right at the supply entry points at map edge, is around 29. This goes down as you go off into the map, ending up in single figures near the middle of the map, where my units presently are. So even if they can trace clean supply lines they aren't going to get a super-abundance of stuff. So another question - tactically, what should I be doing in this situation to try to get them more supply? They can operate only badly on 1% or 8%. They are placed on hexes, or surrounded by hexes that have a very low supply figure. What can I do? I can move an HQ adjacent, I've learned. That gives some boost. If there are supply units in the scenario I can move them near (but there are not). Does resting the units increase their supply - does their doing nothing allow them to stockpile a little? (You rest them how? - by just keeping them still doing nothing?) Anything else?
Tips here would be much appreciated.

< Message edited by Phoenix100 -- 11/27/2017 6:54:55 PM >

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 5
RE: supply basics - 11/27/2017 6:58:19 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: Phoenix100

Yeah, read all that, thanks. My tactical question (above) still stands. That is - what do you do - given all that - to get more supply?

quote:

Tips here would be much appreciated.

I will try (as good as I can) in a Tutorial '43...there's airlift supply, kinda, and other stuff. There's always a way to get supply (courtesy to the event editor and other surprises). :)

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 6
RE: supply basics - 11/27/2017 7:22:30 PM   
thewood1

You asked specifically what supply radius was...It is in that section.

Here is a little more...

"U Supply Unit Capability: These units extend
supply by a supply radius."

That would say it is how far supply can be pushed out to a unit from a supply unit/location.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 7
RE: supply basics - 11/27/2017 7:40:16 PM   
Phoenix100

Ah. Someone else just gave me a different interpretation of it, based on other material, I assume - but thanks. It doesn't seem to be so important (which seems to be Mr Sill's opinion in his older supply video, which I watched). So now I have it's either the distance roads can extend a higher level of supply (beyond themselves, I assume) or the distance a supply 'boost' extends beyond a supply unit (not an HQ, but a specific supply unit). Thanks for the help!

(in reply to thewood1)
Post #: 8
RE: supply basics - 11/27/2017 9:03:56 PM   
sPzAbt653

I just re-watched that video and I did not say specifically what it does. Sometimes I try to keep things too simple, but I felt if I said all of the following in the video, people would have tuned out.
The Supply Radius is the distance that Full Supply is distributed from a Supply Point. So if the Supply Point is worth 25 and the Supply Radius is 4, then 4 hexes from the Supply Point you still get 25 [all other factors taken into consideration]. If the Supply Radius is 10, then that same Supply Rate of 25 would extend out 10 hexes. Note that Rail Lines connected to Supply Points always act as Supply Points

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 9
RE: supply basics - 11/27/2017 9:21:49 PM   
Phoenix100

Very precise, Steve. Thanks! The video was great, by the way, and seemed to apply to TOAW 4 quite easily.

< Message edited by Phoenix100 -- 11/27/2017 9:22:19 PM >

(in reply to sPzAbt653)
Post #: 10
RE: supply basics - 11/27/2017 11:05:07 PM   
Meyer1

You have to be accustomed to the fact that units are going to be low in supply, specially as the Germans in WW2. That's something that I struggle with too, I like my units all green and shiny

(in reply to Phoenix100)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> supply basics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI