Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Experience levels

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Experience levels Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Experience levels - 11/22/2017 4:25:21 AM   
tomeck48

The rule book says that "Ground elements that have an experience level lower than their unit's morale will increase their experience at least one point per turn, but have a chance to gain up to a total of five experience points. The normal experience gain is two to three points per turn. Ground elements in units in good supply, especially if they are located on a railhead (20.1.1) will be able to gain more experience during training, as will ground elements that participated in combat the previous turn."

I'm playing the Soviet and we are in November '42 of a '41 campaign game. I've done some spot checking here and there and have rarely seen more than a +1. Occasionally +2, never 3 or more.

The particular units I'm tracking right now are the rifle squads of five Guards Rifle Divs. The units are well behind the front line, on a railhead and in good supply. The units morale are all 59 and the experience levels range from 36 to 39. They haven't been in combat since they were reformed. The guards units are connected to the 2 Ural HQs.

I don't see that I'm doing anything wrong per the rules, but I sure would love to see some +3, +4 and +5s happening.

Any ideas?
Post #: 1
RE: Experience levels - 11/22/2017 4:47:15 AM   
morvael

Are they all at full strength? Replacements will lower experience.

(in reply to tomeck48)
Post #: 2
RE: Experience levels - 11/22/2017 5:36:46 AM   
tomeck48

The Divisions are at 98-103%. The rifle squad elements are all at 100%, though I can't say what they were 8 turns ago.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 3
RE: Experience levels - 11/22/2017 7:04:14 AM   
MrBlizzard

Did you put them on refit mode?
In my experience units gain more experience when they have less experience than half the morale and are in refit more than 9 hex from the frontline

Blizzard

(in reply to tomeck48)
Post #: 4
RE: Experience levels - 11/22/2017 3:13:17 PM   
tomeck48

Yes, they've been on refit since day 1. And they're in the Urals so they are far more than 9 hexes from the front.

Now I didn't start tracking them until they were at or just over 50% of morale, but the way I read the rule is that going over 50% doesn't relegate you to only one point per turn. But maybe that's the way it works.

(in reply to MrBlizzard)
Post #: 5
RE: Experience levels - 11/22/2017 3:27:48 PM   
morvael

Morale 59 looks correct for Guards units at this point of the war. It won't grow higher without combat. I will check experience growth and will report back.

(in reply to tomeck48)
Post #: 6
RE: Experience levels - 11/22/2017 6:14:02 PM   
Nix77

The extra refit xp bonus is only for inexperienced units with xp less than half of morale. The rest usually get one xp/turn. Haven’t experimented but I guess combat can give more xp, but tbh I haven’t seen any sudden dramatic increases (which is probably a good thing).

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 7
RE: Experience levels - 11/23/2017 5:12:34 AM   
tomeck48

Well, that's what the rule should say then, because in it's present form it's misleading. But thanks for the explanation.

(in reply to Nix77)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Experience levels Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI