Experience levels

Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: The German-Soviet War 1941-1945 is a turn-based World War II strategy game stretching across the entire Eastern Front. Gamers can engage in an epic campaign, including division-sized battles with realistic and historical terrain, weather, orders of battle, logistics and combat results.

The critically and fan-acclaimed Eastern Front mega-game Gary Grigsby’s War in the East just got bigger and better with Gary Grigsby’s War in the East: Don to the Danube! This expansion to the award-winning War in the East comes with a wide array of later war scenarios ranging from short but intense 6 turn bouts like the Battle for Kharkov (1942) to immense 37-turn engagements taking place across multiple nations like Drama on the Danube (Summer 1944 – Spring 1945).

Moderators: Joel Billings, elmo3, Sabre21

tomeck48

Experience levels

Post by tomeck48 »

The rule book says that "Ground elements that have an experience level lower than their unit's morale will increase their experience at least one point per turn, but have a chance to gain up to a total of five experience points. The normal experience gain is two to three points per turn. Ground elements in units in good supply, especially if they are located on a railhead (20.1.1) will be able to gain more experience during training, as will ground elements that participated in combat the previous turn."

I'm playing the Soviet and we are in November '42 of a '41 campaign game. I've done some spot checking here and there and have rarely seen more than a +1. Occasionally +2, never 3 or more.

The particular units I'm tracking right now are the rifle squads of five Guards Rifle Divs. The units are well behind the front line, on a railhead and in good supply. The units morale are all 59 and the experience levels range from 36 to 39. They haven't been in combat since they were reformed. The guards units are connected to the 2 Ural HQs.

I don't see that I'm doing anything wrong per the rules, but I sure would love to see some +3, +4 and +5s happening.

Any ideas?
morvael

RE: Experience levels

Post by morvael »

Are they all at full strength? Replacements will lower experience.
tomeck48

Post by tomeck48 »

The Divisions are at 98-103%. The rifle squad elements are all at 100%, though I can't say what they were 8 turns ago.
MrBlizzard

Post by MrBlizzard »

Did you put them on refit mode?
In my experience units gain more experience when they have less experience than half the morale and are in refit more than 9 hex from the frontline
Blizzard
tomeck48

Post by tomeck48 »

Yes, they've been on refit since day 1. And they're in the Urals so they are far more than 9 hexes from the front.

Now I didn't start tracking them until they were at or just over 50% of morale, but the way I read the rule is that going over 50% doesn't relegate you to only one point per turn. But maybe that's the way it works.
morvael

Post by morvael »

Morale 59 looks correct for Guards units at this point of the war. It won't grow higher without combat. I will check experience growth and will report back.
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

The extra refit xp bonus is only for inexperienced units with xp less than half of morale. The rest usually get one xp/turn. Haven’t experimented but I guess combat can give more xp, but tbh I haven’t seen any sudden dramatic increases (which is probably a good thing).
tomeck48

Post by tomeck48 »

Well, that's what the rule should say then, because in it's present form it's misleading. But thanks for the explanation.

Return to “Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series”