Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

TOAW IV / XP

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> TOAW IV / XP Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
TOAW IV / XP - 11/16/2017 2:12:13 PM   
secadegas

TOAW IV doesn't play on XP anymore, right?
Post #: 1
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 11/16/2017 2:14:50 PM   
zakblood

Game Requirements
Processor: Pentium 4 or better
RAM: 512mb
Sound Card: Any Windows
compatible
CD-ROM: Only for physical
version
Hard Drive: 650MB of free,
uncompressed disk space
Microsoft .Net 4.0

but as it's not mentioned, no idea, but hopefully someone will comment on if it was tested on it etc

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 2
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 11/16/2017 2:19:29 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

...but hopefully someone will comment on if it was tested on it etc....

IIRC Steve Sill had an XP machine that he was testing on at one time. Years ago
maybe. I don't know what his experience is / was. Sorry, that's all the info I have
too.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 11/16/2017 2:22:12 PM   
Tamas

It may work on XP, but we do not officially support it, as we cannot be sure.

(in reply to larryfulkerson)
Post #: 4
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 11/16/2017 2:32:12 PM   
Oberst_Klink

So far it works fine in the XP compatibility mode; both Opart4 and Opart4 - Slow.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.
Visit CS Legion on Twitter & Facebook for updates.

(in reply to Tamas)
Post #: 5
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 11/16/2017 3:04:24 PM   
larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink
So far it works fine in the XP compatibility mode; both Opart4 and Opart4 - Slow.

Klink, Oberst

XP has a compatability mode for WIN7 or WIN10? Coolness.

(in reply to Oberst_Klink)
Post #: 6
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 11/16/2017 3:13:22 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Oberst_Klink

Klink, Oberst

XP has a compatability mode for WIN7 or WIN10? Coolness.

The other way around, Larry. The newer versions have the option to run programs in more previous versions. ;)

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

Post #: 7
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 11/16/2017 3:15:14 PM   
larryfulkerson

Yeah, I know. That was my lame attempt at a joke. See, he's trying to use
an XP machine to run T4 and you're using the compatibility mode to mock up
a working copy of XP to run your application and I'm not sure it's 100%
accurate and that there still might be XP problems. I hope not.

Post #: 8
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 11/16/2017 3:23:55 PM   
secadegas

You're right. I'm trying to run TOAW 4 on XP and it gives me a "Opart 4.exe isn't a valid Win32 aplication" message error

Post #: 9
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 11/16/2017 3:42:33 PM   
Oberst_Klink

quote:

ORIGINAL: secadegas

You're right. I'm trying to run TOAW 4 on XP and it gives me a "Opart 4.exe isn't a valid Win32 aplication" message error

Try running it in admin mode; might help. Not sure though.

Klink, Oberst

My Blog & on Twitter.

(in reply to secadegas)
Post #: 10
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 11/16/2017 5:11:25 PM   
Curtis Lemay

There is an alternate executable in the main folder:

Opart 4 - Slow.exe

You can try running that if you have XP. It might help.

My TOAW web site:

Bob Cross's TOAW Site

Post #: 11
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 11/16/2017 5:58:28 PM   
sPzAbt653

quote:

ORIGINAL: larryfulkerson
quote:

...but hopefully someone will comment on if it was tested on it etc....

IIRC Steve Sill had an XP machine that he was testing on at one time. Years agomaybe. I don't know what his experience is / was. Sorry, that's all the info I havetoo.

That was five years ago, the old XP crapped out on me at that time, followed shortly by my lovable W98
Had three at one point, now down to one W7.

Post #: 12
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 11/17/2017 12:32:36 AM   
RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

Game Requirements
compatible
version
uncompressed disk space
Microsoft .Net 4.0

but as it's not mentioned, no idea, but hopefully someone will comment on if it was tested on it etc

Is the .Net requirement because the game is written in a .Net language like C# or is it just because a minor DLL needs it.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 13
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 12/20/2017 3:31:05 PM   
rtropp

forgive an ignoramus but what effect does slow.exe have? I am assuming it runs at a slower speed but are there any other changes noticeable in game play? I ask because I am fighting an issue of frequent game crashes and may just go back to version III. My computer is fairly new and pretty powerful. I had been using it for heavy graphics and statistical analysis. But the constant crashes are interfering with enjoying the simulations.

Richard

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 14
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 12/20/2017 4:30:44 PM   
mccartyg

I think all it does is remove the CPU check where "Opart 4.exe" returns an error for anything older than a Pentium 4 (which happens to be what I use, Preschott). All these errors are probably due too the fractured state of operating systems and graphics accelerators these days in conjunction with this game being a Frankenstein's monster of different coding.

(in reply to rtropp)
Post #: 15
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 12/22/2017 11:01:00 AM   
rtropp

Thanks mccartyg.

Richard

(in reply to mccartyg)
Post #: 16
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 12/24/2017 4:49:07 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: RogerBacon

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

Game Requirements
compatible
version
uncompressed disk space
Microsoft .Net 4.0

Is the .Net requirement because the game is written in a .Net language like C# or is it just because a minor DLL needs it.

The game is written in C++. The launch program may require it, but you can luaunch the program without it. The actual program doesn't.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to RogerBacon)
Post #: 17
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 12/24/2017 4:51:10 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: rtropp

forgive an ignoramus but what effect does slow.exe have? I am assuming it runs at a slower speed but are there any other changes noticeable in game play? I ask because I am fighting an issue of frequent game crashes and may just go back to version III. My computer is fairly new and pretty powerful. I had been using it for heavy graphics and statistical analysis. But the constant crashes are interfering with enjoying the simulations.

When it craches, it should generate a crashlog file in the My Documents/My Games/The Operational Art of war IV Directory. If you could start a new thread with what caused the crash and that file, I'll be glad to look into it more. I know there's a problem with international characters that shows up sometimes, but I haven't been able to reproduce it.

Thanks,
Ralph

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

(in reply to rtropp)
Post #: 18
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 12/24/2017 6:14:24 PM   
ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: mccartyg
I think all it does is remove the CPU check where "Opart 4.exe" returns an error for anything older than a Pentium 4 (which happens to be what I use, Preschott). All these errors are probably due too the fractured state of operating systems and graphics accelerators these days in conjunction with this game being a Frankenstein's monster of different coding.

Actually, it changes the code. The normal code uses a separate part of the processor for doing arithmetic (floating and integer) It makes those a lot faster so should make the overall program run slower when you use the 'Slow' program. Hence the name .

Unfortunately, some of the crashes and strange behavior may be due to drivers. The coding is actually pretty clean. Norm wrote clean C code and I've updated everything to be modern C++. While not fully agile, I've been very careful to avoid side effects and use small functions. Bob Cross has also written modern C++. The reason I don't support XP is that there isn't a lot of demand. I thought that VS2017 didn't support XP since it was far past it's sell by date, but it looks like it does. I'll think about adding an unoffical and unsupported XP version.

Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
---

(in reply to mccartyg)
Post #: 19
RE: TOAW IV / XP - 12/24/2017 8:49:49 PM   
DanNeely

quote:

ORIGINAL: ralphtricky

quote:

ORIGINAL: mccartyg

Actually, it changes the code. The normal code uses a separate part of the processor for doing arithmetic (floating and integer) It makes those a lot faster so should make the overall program run slower when you use the 'Slow' program. Hence the name .

Unfortunately, some of the crashes and strange behavior may be due to drivers. The coding is actually pretty clean. Norm wrote clean C code and I've updated everything to be modern C++. While not fully agile, I've been very careful to avoid side effects and use small functions. Bob Cross has also written modern C++. The reason I don't support XP is that there isn't a lot of demand. I thought that VS2017 didn't support XP since it was far past it's sell by date, but it looks like it does. I'll think about adding an unoffical and unsupported XP version.

I'm kinda surprised they're still supporting XP on the C++ side too. A few years ago they cut XP off from new versions of the .net framework to much wailing and gnashing of teeth. To be fair at the time I thought pulling the plug on XP was a bit premature, official end of life or not. Them still doing it now for C++ is a bit surprising; maybe they're keeping the C++ tools working to make things easier internally. (There's an embedded XP version still in support until April 2019.)

Did you ever see history portrayed as an old man ... weighing all things in the balance of reason?
Is not [it] an eternal, imploring maiden, full of fire, with a burning heart and flaming soul, humanly warm and humanly beautiful?
--Zachris Topelius

(in reply to ralphtricky)
Post #: 20
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> The Operational Art of War IV >> Tech Support >> TOAW IV / XP Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI