The Operational Art of War IV Manual Preview

The sequel of the legendary wargame with a complete graphics and interface overhaul, major new gameplay and design features such as full naval combat modelling, improved supply handling, numerous increases to scenario parameters to better support large scenarios, and integrated PBEM++.
Muso

The Operational Art of War IV Manual Preview

Post by Muso »

As promised, we're releasing a little sneak peek of the manual that you will receive if you purchase The Operational Art of War IV's physical copy!
If all you ever wanted was to become a proper warlord, with medals and everything, this books is what you're looking for!

This little preview contains 40 pages abstracted from the full manual, that will be 176 pages long, so click HERE to open the PDF.
Don't forget that the game will come out in two days, the 16th of November, don't forget to buy it!
BroodingPhobos

RE: The Operational Art of War IV Manual Preview

Post by BroodingPhobos »

Thanks for the post. Can't wait to play it.
fiambre

Post by fiambre »

TY!!!
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxZGYjU1PRc

Sorry couldn't resist. [:D]

Please don't ban me. [&o]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
larryfulkerson

Post by larryfulkerson »

Double post
If you need to put warheads on foreheads who you gonna call? An FO...just one will do.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

Thanks for the preview.
So there are five map view levels, just like in TOAW III, although they were supposed to be some extra ones.
But now there is this Y-zoom setting with 10 steps, what is that? The interface zoom?

Attachments
Capture.jpg
Capture.jpg (80.54 KiB) Viewed 322 times
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

When in your current zoom level Y-zoom allows you to zoom in and out of THAT zoom level you are currently in. In other words, each zoom level you can achieve with your mouse wheel has it's own separate ten zoom levels that can be adjusted with the Y-zoom. I hope that helps. Not long and you can see for yourself. [;)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

When in your current zoom level Y-zoom allows you to zoom in and out of THAT zoom level you are currently in. In other words, each zoom level you can achieve with your mouse wheel has it's own separate ten zoom levels that can be adjusted with the Y-zoom. I hope that helps. Not long and you can see for yourself. [;)]
Gotcha, that's a lot of zoom levels... very nice.
Meyer1

Post by Meyer1 »

So looks like the manual is identical in structure to the TOAW III manual, including of course the novelties, at least looking at the index and the preview pages.
Not saying that this is bad, but if people are anxious to read the manual before the game release, they would well served by reading the III manual.
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: Meyer1

So looks like the manual is identical in structure to the TOAW III manual, including of course the novelties, at least looking at the index and the preview pages.
Not saying that this is bad, but if people are anxious to read the manual before the game release, they would well served by reading the III manual.

Not really, to be honest. Sure, a lot of things are the same, but there are crucial changes, like Battlefield Time Stamps, that make parts of the old manual obsolete.
TheTom

Post by TheTom »

I know, I asked this question before, but I didn't get any respond whatsoever, so....

Will there be additional translations of the manual available? Spanish, Italian, German, French...?

Any answer? Maybe jut "No", or "We plan to have the manual translated, but we don't know when it'll be done", or "We don't know, quit asking", or maybe something like "We don't plan to have it translated, but if you really want to, you can do it yourself, we will give you whatever you need..." ?
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

The manual will only be available in English.
TheTom

Post by TheTom »

Thaks for the answer. Too bad, so I'm afraid I won't buy, the game is too complex for a foreign language manual.[:(]
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: TheTom

Thaks for the answer. Too bad, so I'm afraid I won't buy, the game is too complex for a foreign language manual.[:(]

I think they mean just the print manual, I assume they'll be localisations for the digital manual?
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Tamas

Post by Tamas »

ORIGINAL: OxfordGuy3

ORIGINAL: TheTom

I think they mean just the print manual, I assume they'll be localisations for the digital manual?

The game will only ship with an English manual, true for both digital and printed. Unfortunately the translation of it would not have been feasible.
Shadrach

Post by Shadrach »

Thanks for the preview, I will order the printed version since I prefer to read on paper and this is definitely a game you'd need to read the manual.

By the way, is there a scale UI setting? The screenshots look fine but worried it might look small on 2560x1440? Or even 4K?

With windows DPI scaling the results can be varying, I assume since this game seems to use standard windows (GDI) it will scale but then it might be blurry so sometimes one wants to leave scaling to the application and then sometimes the UI is very tiny...
OUW (Order of the Upgrade Wars)
There are folks out there with way too much time on their hands.
- Norm Koger
jjdenver

Post by jjdenver »

What does this mean? Can someone explain more?

"Also, note that movement recovery is done twice
for each side (start of each player-turn). This
will clear the “Retreated” condition for both
sides during their own player-turn (previously
an unfair advantage for side-one). It may even
make use of reserve deployments more palatable
to players"

Specifically why would players _nnot_ make use of reserve deployments? Is there some problem with them? I'm new to the game so curious.
AARS:
CEAW-BJR Mod 2009:
tm.asp?m=2101447
AT-WW1:
tm.asp?m=1705427
AT-GPW:
tm.asp?m=1649732
VegasOZ

Post by VegasOZ »

Will the final release version have the choice to use 3D Units on the Map?
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: stian

Thanks for the preview, I will order the printed version since I prefer to read on paper and this is definitely a game you'd need to read the manual.

By the way, is there a scale UI setting? The screenshots look fine but worried it might look small on 2560x1440? Or even 4K?

With windows DPI scaling the results can be varying, I assume since this game seems to use standard windows (GDI) it will scale but then it might be blurry so sometimes one wants to leave scaling to the application and then sometimes the UI is very tiny...
There is no scale UI setting as such,there are two alternatives, all the fonts are windows fonts, so you can change them. I expect that someone will come out with a large font file before too long. You can also set it to play in full screen mode at a specified resolution. Setting that isn't as friendly as it could be.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.
ralphtricky

Post by ralphtricky »

ORIGINAL: VegasOZ

Will the final release version have the choice to use 3D Units on the Map?
There are 3D style units you can use, they haven't been changed since the last version. They aren't true 3D units.
Ralph Trickey
TOAW IV Programmer
Blog: http://operationalwarfare.com
---
My comments are my own, and do not represent the views of any other person or entity. Nothing that I say should be construed in any way as a promise of anything.

Return to “The Operational Art of War IV”