Wing L-band radar

Post bug reports and ask for game support here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

User2

Wing L-band radar

Post by User2 »

Is it safe to assume that serial Su-35S does not have the subject?

I've read different Russian articles about this plane and have not found a single clue about wing radar. Russian wiki is already rather detailed source of information about Su-35 but again it does not mention the subject.

It seems wing radar talks were started by the Ausairpower article "Assessing the Tikhomirov NIIP L-Band Active Electronically Steered Array". The article is old and I assume there was little info about Su-35 at that time.

Wing L-band radar was revealed at MAKS 2009 air show. It was said that the planes like Su-35 can be fitted with it and PAK-FA would have it.
Su-57 wing radar is confirmed by different sources. It is part of Byelka radar system. However Su-35S wing radar is still not confirmed.
Filitch

RE: Wing L-band radar

Post by Filitch »

For such questions there is a joke: "Who answers right will be sentenced for a ten years"
User2

Post by User2 »

I doubt the presence of that radar is classified. Most likely Su-35S does not have it.
Even the patriotic military channel Zvezda did not say a word about wing radar in their documentary about Su-35S. However Zvezda as a patriotic channel is known to exaggerate things.

Still no one posted a link to any public source to prove that su-35s has that radar. So we can just accept that Su-35S wing L-band radar is a myth and move on.
Scar79

Post by Scar79 »

1) It's not RADAR, but AESA of IFF.
2) It's in place on every Su-35.
User2

Post by User2 »

Interesting.
Is it the first time Russian designers put IFF in to the wings? Is Su-30SM's Bars system IFF antenna located in the plane's wings too?

Wiki: "The design of the N011M Bars antenna like the earlier N007 antenna consists of two separate electronically controlled arrays, an X band radar and an L band IFF transponder with a total weight of 100 kg and a diameter of 960 mm."
Scar79

Post by Scar79 »

Yes, it's the first time.
No, Bars main antenna consists both.
14yellow14

Post by 14yellow14 »

I put this here :)

fb.asp?m=5104987

Su-35S L-Band Wing Radar (sensor_5714) is too powerful (even more than ground-based L-Band radars xD) and it's a mistake, that antenna on the Su-35 works more like IFF or ESM than anything else. I think it's not a radar. Same with the Su-57.
The Su-57 is also said to incorporate L-band radar arrays blended inside its large maneuvering leading edge extensions. These radars are more for target discrimination and identification than anything else.

I think it's the Type 4283 IFF:

ON-BOARD MULTIFUNCTIONAL
DIGITAL INTERROGATOR WITH ACTIVE
PHASED ANTENNA GRILLE (AFAR)

ORIGINAL: KLAB

https://rg.ru/2021/11/22/reg-cfo/u-su-3 ... celej.html

It may be something to do with terminology and translation but this article is unequivocal that it's three L band phased array "radars".
K

Thanks.

I've been doing some research and those claims of L-band anti-stealth radar functions are very dubious.

An antenna can be AESA and have other functions, such as IFF or communications. It doesnt mean its a search radar.
(THALES example https://www.edrmagazine.eu/thales-unvei ... -panel-iff)

The article you quote appeared yesterday and seems to confuse the SU-35 IFF suite (4283MP) with the SU-57 (N036L-1-01).

https://militarywatchmagazine.com/amp/a ... ct-stealth

Most sources I have consulted refer to these antennas as IFF or EW (including ECM and maybe search in the case of the much powerful SU-57 suite).
The (SU-35S) Type 4283MP IFF interrogator has an active electronic scanning array (AESA) located along the wing leading edges.

https://www.keymilitary.com/article/gam ... ng-flanker
The (SU-57) suite also has two N036L-1-01 L-band arrays on the wing's leading edge extensions that are not only used for friend-or-foe identification but also for electronic warfare purposes. Computer processing of the X- and L-band signals enable the systems information to be significantly enhanced.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Byelka_(radar)

Other aircraft have the same type of antennas in the same position for EW or communications.
https://img.militaryaerospace.com/files ... rmat&w=720

If it had a search function, an L-band radar needs to be huge to be able to track VLO targets at a certain distance and what these aircraft have are very small antennas.

In any case these sensors are incorrectly modelled in the game, it is not possible for an antenna with just a dozen modules on a fighter to have as much search power as a dedicated ground radar like the NEBO M L-BAND. Right now a Su-35S can detect VLO targets like the F-35 at the same distance as a dedicated L-band radar like the NEBO M...

Cheers
:)
Dysta

Post by Dysta »

If this is the case, then China’s cautious and pessimistic approach to procure Su-35S from Russia is making quite a sense. Before the reassessment due to the dubious claim of L-band sensors for anti-stealth searching purpose, it was rumored to be PLAAF’s sidekick for countering LO assets and aiding J-20 (or any future Chinese stealth aircrafts) to bypass or even flanking them.

Looks like China’s persistent approach to use EOTS on J-20, J-20S and now J-35 are far safer options, and fortunately they have 10 years of developments over other anti-stealth methods.
jannas34

Post by jannas34 »

months go by, no fix or comment

90 USD? lololol

Return to “Tech Support”