Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Field of Glory Napoleonics?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Field of Glory Napoleonics? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/4/2017 3:49:52 PM   
tanespain

Any chance of a Field of Glory: Napoleonics release?

Theres is a void in PC games about the Battles of Napoleon at the Grand Tactical level, and FOG: Napoleonics fits very well , using the engine of Field of Glory II.

I hope that it will be released any time :)
Post #: 1
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/4/2017 3:55:52 PM   
zakblood

sounds good to me

and welcome to the forum

(in reply to tanespain)
Post #: 2
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/4/2017 4:03:44 PM   
Orm

Sounds good to me as well.

And welcome to the forum.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 3
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/4/2017 4:30:08 PM   
KurtC

Sounds really good to me. Or a 7 Years War Field of Glory. Or a Civil War Fields of Glory.

But, beef up the campaign module.

My known forum name is H Gilmer

He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 4
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/4/2017 5:16:16 PM   
redcoat

Sounds good to me too.

(in reply to KurtC)
Post #: 5
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/7/2017 9:42:36 AM   
Agathosdaimon

Napoleonic Era of Friedrich der Groesse Era - either of those would be a sure buy!!

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 6
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/7/2017 10:59:15 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Too many napoleonic games as it is. That's all we ever get mostly is Napoleonics, American Civil War and WWII(eastern front most common). Kinda sick of those 3 myself. Ready for some more ancients and from what I've read the developer is going back in history first before going forward I'm happy to read.

(in reply to Agathosdaimon)
Post #: 7
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/7/2017 12:12:58 PM   
rico21

+1, +1 and +1

(in reply to tanespain)
Post #: 8
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/7/2017 12:37:28 PM   
ReinerAllen

If you think about it, other than the John Tiller series, there is no definitive grand tactical Napoleonic battles game. The goes for the Frederick the Great era. For either one, Matrix/Slitherine has my support all the way. I look forward to either one.

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 9
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/7/2017 1:01:35 PM   
Alan Sharif

I agree with all statements above. I want everything up to the Franco-Prussian War, ideally in time for Xmas :)

< Message edited by Alan Sharif -- 11/7/2017 1:02:07 PM >

A Sharif

(in reply to ReinerAllen)
Post #: 10
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/7/2017 4:34:10 PM   
TDefender

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Too many napoleonic games as it is. That's all we ever get mostly is Napoleonics, American Civil War and WWII(eastern front most common). Kinda sick of those 3 myself. Ready for some more ancients and from what I've read the developer is going back in history first before going forward I'm happy to read.

Definitely not, a decent napoleonic tactical turn based game is longed for since Battleground/HPS series

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 11
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/7/2017 5:58:56 PM   
Blond_Knight

I bought Bonaparte's Peninsular war last week and its a lot of fun. I specifically bought this title because I thought the smaller battles would be easier on the AI and my patience. The funny thing is I also bought Scourge of War Waterloo Collectors edition last week too and I think the John Tiller title better captures the Napoleonic era. Scourge was designed for the Civil war and that's how it still feels to me. Wish Matrix has a return policy. ;)

(in reply to TDefender)
Post #: 12
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/7/2017 6:23:03 PM   
rico21

Do you know this goodies?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to tanespain)
Post #: 13
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/7/2017 7:23:11 PM   
Kuokkanen

quote:

Too many napoleonic games as it is. That's all we ever get mostly is Napoleonics

Care to name few for me?

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

Post #: 14
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/8/2017 12:03:13 AM   
Agathosdaimon

Imperial Glory is a good old game, but its pretty simplistic, it was like a NTW lite.

A really good oldie in terms of Napoleonics and one that can still work on systems now with a few compat tweeks is War and Peace from Microids - it is brilliant and fun and a decent challenging AI,

but as for napoleonic tbs that is actually historical and based on specific campaigns/years there hasnt been anything since John Tiller and Frank Hunters Campaigns on the Danube
Napoleons Campaigns and Victory and Glory are superb but are not at the tactical level that something like Field of Glory Napoleonics could be .
absolutely nothing has been done regarding 1813 and 1807 - two massive years of campaigns in Poland and Germany, not even John Tiller has done 1807 yet.
If any developer was interested in doing something new napoleonically or something like a new Horse and Musket - for Friedrich the Great's era, i would keenly provide art for it too

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 15
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/8/2017 10:41:39 AM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: rico21

Do you know this goodies?

Have it

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 16
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/8/2017 10:46:45 AM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

but as for napoleonic tbs that is actually historical and based on specific campaigns/years there hasnt been anything since John Tiller and Frank Hunters Campaigns on the Danube ...

Yes an excellent game that far too many haven't tried.

Post #: 17
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/9/2017 2:12:23 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Alan Sharif

I agree with all statements above. I want everything up to the Franco-Prussian War, ideally in time for Xmas :)

Alexander and Persian wars and Early Spartans is likely to happen before all that.

(in reply to Alan Sharif)
Post #: 18
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/9/2017 2:14:28 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

Too many napoleonic games as it is. That's all we ever get mostly is Napoleonics

Care to name few for me?

Nope; look em up yourself; I'm not your potato peeler.

(in reply to Kuokkanen)
Post #: 19
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/9/2017 6:12:47 PM   
tanespain

I - and some wargamers more, I think- am not looking for strategical Napoleonics, or quasi-tactical (Battleground), but for a similar scale as the Field of Glory games.

And at that scale, no, there is not a lot of games :(

Post #: 20
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/12/2017 9:23:51 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: tanespain

I - and some wargamers more, I think- am not looking for strategical Napoleonics, or quasi-tactical (Battleground), but for a similar scale as the Field of Glory games.

Battles of Napoleon circa 1980's and it still works on modern computers with DosBox. May not have the pretty graphics of FOGII but a good rendition just the same.

Then today you have Norbsoft's Napoleonics series and Fields of Glory from the early 90's. So yes you are ahead of the scope when it comes to Napoleonics wargames. It doesn't have to be identical to be too many.

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 11/12/2017 9:26:21 AM >

(in reply to tanespain)
Post #: 21
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/14/2017 1:25:49 AM   
Agathosdaimon

quote:

ORIGINAL: tanespain

actually apart from teh JTS games, there have been some other napoleonic games of late from Hexwar, which are tactical turn based but i think they are only on mobile platform still, i wouldnt be surprised if they appear on steam eventually, they had a peninsular campaign, russian campaign and waterloo campaign and they make for a bit of light fun.

Does anyone recall the "Napoleon's Battles" game from around 2001 or so - it ended up being a free cd in the boxed copy of Eric Youngs Squad Assault, - possibly the worst ever tactical napoleonic game made,(though still better than much of cheap asset flip garbage on steam)

(in reply to tanespain)
Post #: 22
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/14/2017 3:13:14 PM   
TDefender

quote:

actually apart from teh JTS games, there have been some other napoleonic games of late from Hexwar, which are tactical turn based but i think they are only on mobile platform still, i wouldnt be surprised if they appear on steam eventually, they had a peninsular campaign, russian campaign and waterloo campaign and they make for a bit of light fun.

I have a couple of them, good games but just for "very easy and relaxing time" (yes, expecially that kind of moments...) not else.

I really would enjoy something more similar to an evolution of the old Napoleon 1813 a buggy but very interesting game .

< Message edited by TDefender -- 11/14/2017 3:17:51 PM >

Post #: 23
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/14/2017 9:44:54 PM   
Agathosdaimon

quote:

ORIGINAL: TDefender

quote:

I have a couple of them, good games but just for "very easy and relaxing time" (yes, expecially that kind of moments...) not else.

I really would enjoy something more similar to an evolution of the old Napoleon 1813 a buggy but very interesting game .

you have my absolute agreement! Wargamer: Napoleon 1813, made by Steven Green (who was also behind the old microprose Field of Glory) is the greatest napoleonic game that almost was - if Scourge of War took up the 1813 campaign it would be the greatest, though i guess that is getting away from the Turn-based style that is the main topic here

(in reply to TDefender)
Post #: 24
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/15/2017 3:30:32 AM   
aaatoysandmore

I like Norbsoft's games as they are more command and control than having to move every individual unit though you can if you take up the Army command. I like to take a regiment or battery and play; dealing with the orders the ai sends me (usually right into the thick of things) and find those types most enjoyable.

Someday we may see Napoleonics in Fog2 but, not any time soon I would think. They have a lot of history to go through before they get to Napoleonics unless they bypass a lot of history which I don't recall them doing in FogI.

Post #: 25
RE: Field of Glory Napoleonics? - 11/15/2017 9:48:36 PM   
Agathosdaimon

quote:

I like Norbsoft's games as they are more command and control than having to move every individual unit though you can if you take up the Army command. I like to take a regiment or battery and play; dealing with the orders the ai sends me (usually right into the thick of things) and find those types most enjoyable.

Someday we may see Napoleonics in Fog2 but, not any time soon I would think. They have a lot of history to go through before they get to Napoleonics unless they bypass a lot of history which I don't recall them doing in FogI.

well thats fin by me, i mean you are right FoG have alot and i would welcome more Renaissance and 17th-18th century too. I have for now too many games and not enough time, even less with a 5 month old now to look after, so really this is all just a bit of delighting in fantasy of what could possibly be and i am sure eventually will come to be

Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Field of Glory Napoleonics? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI