Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Southern Storm

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Southern Storm Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Southern Storm - 11/4/2017 10:25:14 AM   
goodwoodrw

Bought Flashpoint campaigns ages ago, but ever got into it I am now playing as I took the time to read the manual and run through the tutorials. My question is will SS have infantry units only or is it still going to be a mech orientated game. I would like to see infantry and air infantry units in the games.

Formerly Goodwood

Post #: 1
RE: Southern Storm - 11/4/2017 11:32:43 AM   
cbelva

I don't know if I know exactly what you are asking since Red Storm has both infantry and air units. If you are asking if there is non-mechanized infantry I can answer that one. I don't believe that there are any scenarios in Red Storm with non-mechanized infantry such as airborne/air-mobile units. However, the system supports them. It would be fairly easy for someone to build a scenario with them. Right now the system does not support air-mobile insertions or airborne drops where you see the helo or aircraft fly in and deposit the infantry. However, it can be simulated by bringing the units in as reinforcements. There has been talk among the team to hopefully bring that ability into the game. It not moved past the talking phase and it will not be in Southern Storm.

The theater that Red Storm and Southern Storm is set is basically a mechanized theater. Just about all the forces that would have fought in the terrain of Red Storm (and in Southern Storm too) would have been mechanized. But unlike Flashpoint Germany, the mechanized infantry units in Red Storm have actual infantry and not just the vehicles. If a mech infantry plt would lose all of its vehicles, then the infantry would move at leg speed only and would not have the protection of the vehicles when moving.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 2
RE: Southern Storm - 11/4/2017 3:06:08 PM   
larrybush

Might be possible to create a credible scenario using Soviet or US airborne units or German reserves called up that lack mechanization.

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 3
RE: Southern Storm - 11/4/2017 6:17:14 PM   
pzgndr

quote:

ORIGINAL: cbelva
Just about all the forces that would have fought in the terrain of Red Storm (and in Southern Storm too) would have been mechanized.

Might want to look at old REFORGER exercises where the 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault) participated. Most all NATO and Warsaw Pact forces at corps level had some airmobile assets and capability. Regardless, mechanized infantry can certainly split to conduct some dismounted operations more than 500m away from their carriers. The game should allow for this.

(in reply to cbelva)
Post #: 4
RE: Southern Storm - 11/5/2017 8:29:05 AM   
goodwoodrw

Thanks for the info, I have just browsed the OOB in the editor and have noticed all sorts of infantry only units. You have answered my question about the OOB RS too thankyou. I wasn't aware it was a Mech only theatre. Thanks.

Formerly Goodwood

(in reply to pzgndr)
Post #: 5
RE: Southern Storm - 12/3/2017 1:52:54 PM   
Mad Russian

This is an easy one to create. There are ways to adjust what a unit has in the editor. Simply go in and remove the vehicles and you have leg infantry units.

The scenario 'Purple One' is a good example of that.

Airborne/Airmobile are a bit more challenging since RS doesn't allow helicopters to transport units. SS should see a change in that status.

Hope this helps.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to goodwoodrw)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Southern Storm Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI