The Artillery Bug is fixed for SPWaW

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Major_Mess

The Artillery Bug is fixed for SPWaW

Post by Major_Mess »

Ladies and Gentlemen.

We've done it.

The Artillery Bug is fixed.

Come take a look at this Thread.
Or you can go directly to my sig. [8D]

So while y'all are waiting for ST, you can play the game it will be trying to measure up to.

cheers

Major Mess
Click below. You know you want to!!

Kuokkanen

RE: The Artillery Bug is fixed for SPWaW

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Major Mess

So while y'all are waiting for ST, you can play the game it will be trying to measure up to.
Keep up the awesome work and Steel Tigers never has a chance! [&o]
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Are there any screen shots or examples of play for Steel Tigers?
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Kuokkanen

Post by Kuokkanen »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Are there any screen shots or examples of play for Steel Tigers?
It has been said in other threads something like this: "No, the game has not got that far yet"
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

Is it some kind of take off from Steel Panthers? I'm just wondering because of your "never has a chance" comment. I'm always on the lookout for new turn based tactical level games. Not been many lately.
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: Lobster

Is it some kind of take off from Steel Panthers? I'm just wondering because of your "never has a chance" comment. I'm always on the lookout for new turn based tactical level games. Not been many lately.

You are correct Sir.

It is a mod of Matrix's Steel Panthers World at War.
With a lot of things fixed - including now the Artillery Issue.
A lot of value added features along with a tonne of Scenarios and Campaigns

cheers

MM

MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

So I get up at the OMG late hour of 11:30 (it's a me thing, I've been in bed for hours), and I see this.

Awesome. It will give me something to fuss with tomorrow.

A serious thank you.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Had the time and desire to test out the new efforts.

It's looking good. I'm running 8.1 on a laptop with a few years on it.

I gave a go at both the Depot's newest Enhanced install and the General's Edition install with the replaced new Mech.exe. The Mech.exe stated during startup that there was something wrong, and then went on to run the game anyway. No idea what the initial message was about.

Either way, thanks to the guys that brought this effort to us. To me, Steel Panthers only shines through a Mega Campaign, or through some of the gems in the scenario archive. But I haven't really been able to play it for some time. And Steel Panthers remains, to me at least, one of the crowning glories of computer wargaming. It has yet to be beaten by anything since, and barely if at all, equaled in most cases. It will be a VERY hard sell convincing us that Steel Tigers is as good.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
jimi3

Post by jimi3 »

Thank you very much for this. You made an old fan a happy fan. And works with win 10 !!!
Cheers, Jim
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Thank you very much for the artillery fix..I did download the entire file, (it creates a seperate file from that of the Matrixgames file), and I have been experiencing problems.
On one game, I was kicked out to the desktop during the artillery phase.
On a second game, the crash actually re-booted my computer, lol....No harm of course, and the game (otherwise) looks as great as ever.

I tried to enter the Depot as I was a member years ago when Goblin was still around.
It said some old accounts had been purged, so I then tried to open a new account...It stated I would be getting an e mail to verify, and on two attempts, I never got a response?

I am not a "bot", and am one of the older original Steel Panthers players around, (from the DOS days), lol....
Help?.....Thank you....Bob

rico21

Post by rico21 »

+1
Riitaoja2

Post by Riitaoja2 »

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Thank you very much for the artillery fix..I did download the entire file, (it creates a seperate file from that of the Matrixgames file), and I have been experiencing problems.
On one game, I was kicked out to the desktop during the artillery phase.
On a second game, the crash actually re-booted my computer, lol....No harm of course, and the game (otherwise) looks as great as ever.
These patched mech.exe files have been extensively tested. However even with the unmodified game executable there may be random crashes. To avoid these I personally prefer running the game through the Dxwnd program that in my experience has eliminated the random crashes. Particularly the Dxwnd option "Handle Exceptions" seems to be very useful.

The crash to desktop from the artillery screen might be explained by one of these random crashes but the system reboot is highly unusual. Usually if the PC reboots it is indicating a hardware failure or driver problem. That should definitely not be caused by SPWAW or the unofficial patch.

Finally I have not personally tested the "Enhanced FR Full Install" since I play just the standard stock version of the game.

I am also attaching here a text file detailing all the technical aspects of the unofficial mech.exe patch.
Attachments
SPWAW_AVI.zip
(6.37 KiB) Downloaded 221 times
mech-8403d-R2.zip
(662.35 KiB) Downloaded 1164 times
mech8403dreadme.txt
(5.06 KiB) Downloaded 32 times
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Thank you...Still unable to get the e mail from the depot.

My CPU is a desktop, 6 months old, win10 factory installed, all the bells and whistles, and SPWAW has not been an issue till win10 on this CPU...Looking forward to getting it going again..
All apps and drivers are updated.[:)]

Riitaoja2

Post by Riitaoja2 »

My CPU is a desktop, 6 months old, win10 factory installed, all the bells and whistles, and SPWAW has not been an issue till win10 on this CPU...Looking forward to getting it going again..
All apps and drivers are updated.[:)]

Still a reboot would only happen if something went very wrong with the system. Since it is a new computer and SPWAW has a tendency to use quite a lot of the CPU power even without doing much it might be an issue with the heat sink for the processor. In this case the computer would shut down automatically to prevent damage from over heating.

Can you replicate this problem? For example is the crash happening only at the artillery screen? And if you leave the computer on for a longer time period running SPWAW does the system reboot?

For a possible driver related issue one easy trick could be to try and run the game with all the sounds turned off from the preferences. Or by renaming the "SND" folder to "SND-off". If the game then runs without a crash it might be related to the sound.

And you could also grab Dxwnd from here and see if it helps:
tm.asp?m=4060116

P.S. I can't help you with the SPWAW depot login but maybe Major Mess or Falcon can.
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

Took your excellent advice, went back and downloaded just the mech.exe patch, applied it to SPWAW in the Matrixgames folder and it plays as good as the day I took the game out of the SPI box, (except better, lol)....No problems with artillery, mouse, nor anything..Thank you very much..

Glad they are re-working this game, which is as much a "must have" classic as Drang Nach Osten was for those of us old enough to remember cardboard!

Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

PM sent

aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

does this work with random scenarios and random campaigns?
m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Yes...It is a great patch to correct the artillery problems some folks have experienced for years..

It works so well I even patched it over an existing SPWAW file and it works like a champion!..

Once I realized how well it worked, I then saved some of the files to a seperate folder and then replaced them with DEPOT's files to "update" my original SPWAW main folder.
(This would be the shp, snd, enc, IBM, EXTRA folders, which I put into the main game folder.

WARNING!!!..If not sure how to do this, get ahold of one of us and we can talk you thru it if need be, but ALWAYS save any sub folders you plan to replace, or the newer sub folder will over-ride the old one.

m10bob

Post by m10bob »

ORIGINAL: Major Mess

PM sent

TY Geoff....Got it!......

Major_Mess

Post by Major_Mess »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Yup!, and Yup again.

MM

Return to “General Discussion”