Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of Giza

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of Giza Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of Giza - 11/2/2017 8:49:23 PM   
Zorch

A new place for the Nazi Gold train!

https://www.sciencenews.org/article/mystery-void-discovered-great-pyramid-giza?tgt=nr

High-energy particles from outer space have helped uncover an enigmatic void deep inside the Great Pyramid of Giza.

Using high-tech devices typically reserved for particle physics experiments, researchers peered through the thick stone of the largest pyramid in Egypt for traces of cosmic rays and spotted a previously unknown empty space. The mysterious cavity is the first major structure discovered inside the roughly 4,500-year-old Great Pyramid since the 19th century, researchers report online November 2 in Nature.

“It’s a significant discovery,” says Peter Der Manuelian, an Egyptologist at Harvard University not involved in the work, “although precisely what it means is unclear.”

The open space may comprise one or more rooms or corridors, but the particle-detector images reveal only the rough size of the void, not the details of its design. Eventually, though, this detail of the Great Pyramid’s architecture could offer new insights into one of the world’s largest, oldest and most famous monuments. The only one of the ancient Seven Wonders of the World that’s still standing, the Great Pyramid was built as a burial tomb for Pharaoh Khufu.

“Imagine you’re an archaeologist and you walk into this room no one has walked in for [over] 4,000 years,” says Nural Akchurin, a physicist at Texas Tech University in Lubbock who wasn’t involved in the study. “That’s huge. It’s incredible.”

Researchers probed the Great Pyramid’s interior with devices that sense muons — by-products of spacefaring subatomic particles called cosmic rays striking atoms in the atmosphere. Muons continuously rain on Earth at nearly the speed of light. But while the subatomic particles easily streak through open air, rock can absorb or deflect them. By placing detectors near the base and areas deep inside of the Great Pyramid and measuring the number of muons that reach the detectors from different directions, scientists could spot empty spaces inside the ancient edifice.

For instance, if a detector inside the pyramid picked up slightly more muons from the north than the south, that would indicate there was slightly less rock on the north side to intercept incoming muons. That relative abundance of muons could indicate the presence of a chamber in that direction.

Muon imaging an enormous, dense construction like the Great Pyramid “is not an easy game,” Akchurin says. The monument obstructs 99 percent of incoming muons before the particles can reach detectors, so collecting enough data to spot its hollow spaces takes several months.

The newly identified void was first seen with a type of muon detector called nuclear emission film, which the researchers laid out in a space called the Queen’s chamber and the adjacent corridor inside the pyramid. When muons zip through these films, the particles’ chemical interactions with the material leave silver trails that reveal which direction the particles came from, explains Elena Guardincerri, a physicist at Los Alamos National Laboratory in New Mexico not involved in the work.

Upon developing these films, the researchers saw a surprising excess of muons coming through a region above the Grand Gallery, a sloping corridor that runs north-south through the center of the pyramid. The cavity appears to be at least 30 meters across — about the size of the Grand Gallery itself. “Our first reaction was a lot of excitement,” says study coauthor Mehdi Tayoubi, cofounder of the Heritage Innovation Preservation Institute in Paris. “We said, ‘Wow, we got something big!’”

Tayoubi and colleagues confirmed their discovery with observations from two other types of muon detectors, which generate electrical signals when muons pass through them, placed inside the Queen’s chamber and outside at the base of the pyramid.

Akchurin hopes this finding will pave the way for muon imaging of other ancient monuments around the world — particularly at archaeological sites where traditional excavation may be difficult, like deep in the jungle or on mountainsides.

Attachment (2)
Post #: 1
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 2:32:16 AM   
operating

But where are the railroad tracks? Is it an armored train? How did they get the train in there without the Egyptians knowing it?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 2
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 2:47:16 AM   
nicwb

Aliens did it !

(in reply to operating)
Post #: 3
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 4:14:34 AM   
Zap

Is it the void that takes us to another dimension? On a serious note. Most likely an empty spot made necessary by the design of the pyramid.

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 4
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 4:46:38 AM   
zakblood

everyone knows, men need some quite space for gaming, so maybe a gaming room?

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 5
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 7:04:34 AM   
warspite1

If Carlsberg did mystery voids in pyramids.....*

*I don't know if these "If Carlsberg adds were shown outside the UK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0WjvlrcUVo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tlLDwFn50k

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 11/3/2017 7:16:26 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 6
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 8:25:10 AM   
rico21

Pffff, Napoleon Egypt Expeditionary had for goal to discover the secret void of Pyramids.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 7
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 10:53:55 AM   
Greybriar

My guess is that the "void" is a treasure room. Now that its location has been revealed and broadcast around the world, the Egyptians had better be on the lookout for grave robbers.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to rico21)
Post #: 8
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 2:31:39 PM   
redcoat

Maybe best to leave the secret void alone.

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 9
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 2:56:24 PM   
zakblood

i married worse ^^

then i made her happy, and left

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 10
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 4:12:25 PM   
Zap

After being disappointed because no evidence of the Elusive Sasquatch, Yeti, Lock nest Monster. Here we have a chance of finally capturing the Mummy. No way he can elude the world now.

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 11
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 5:02:39 PM   
JReb

Never fear. Geraldo is on top of the story.

"This could be Al Capone's real vault!" said Geraldo

Attachment (1)

MM3: CVN-70 USS Carl Vinson

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 12
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 7:58:37 PM   
Rebel Yell

Egyptian man cave

Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't.

(in reply to JReb)
Post #: 13
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 9:53:44 PM   
Jevhaddah

I wonder if that's where the Stargate is hidden..
Better watch out for the Goa'uld

Cheers
Jev

I am really quite mad yoo know!

(in reply to Rebel Yell)
Post #: 14
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/3/2017 10:09:57 PM   
Zorch

I bet there's snakes.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Jevhaddah)
Post #: 15
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/4/2017 2:28:25 PM   
redcoat

It seems that an explanation for the mystery void might be found in Assassin’s Creed Origins.

https://kotaku.com/this-week-s-giza-pyramid-discovery-was-already-built-in-1820130886

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 16
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/4/2017 3:25:44 PM   
Orm

Lots of splendid posts that made me laugh. Thank you.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to redcoat)
Post #: 17
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/4/2017 3:26:54 PM   
Orm

Thank you, Zorch, for sharing.

Although it is very likely that what they found was actually nothing at all.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 18
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/4/2017 3:49:36 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

warspite1

Or in other words, they found a void

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 19
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/4/2017 4:02:01 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Just what I said.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 20
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/4/2017 4:44:55 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

Just what I said.

Much ado about nothing. Very much about very nothing.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 21
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/4/2017 9:19:21 PM   
sullafelix

Maybe it is where all lost socks in the world go?

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 22
RE: Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of ... - 11/5/2017 11:58:17 AM   
Zorch

It's Edgar Allen Poe's Cask of Amontillado come to life.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 23
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Mystery void is discovered in the Great Pyramid of Giza Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI