RNG Combat

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

grenadier98

RNG Combat

Post by grenadier98 »

Is there a way to switch the off RNG for combat results? If I understand this correctly, the combat results are calcultaed and AFTER the calculation is done, it adds or subtracts one for each side. I think this is a bad implementation, because it alters the combat results by a total of one point, regardless what the percentage chance was.

Additionally, if your expected casulaties are greater than 0, the RNG can give you an advantage or disadvantage. If the expected casualties are 0, than it can only be a disadvantage. Because of that, I think an expected casualty of 0 shouldn't be randomized at all. I end up having a lot of silly one point casulaties where normaly I would steamroll weak and cheap enemy units with very strong and expensive units of my own, mostly tanks against garrisons/waek corps, with expected losses like 0:6 or even higher. Losing points on these units when there shouldn't have taken any casualty at all ist really anoying and expensive.

DeriKuk

RE: RNG Combat

Post by DeriKuk »

I could give my opinion ... if you could expand your TLA. [;)]
PJL1973

Post by PJL1973 »

Personally I'd argue the opposite - all combat should have a minimum of 1 step per attack for both sides to reflect attrition and wear and tear. To compensate you could bump up the steps of damage to the unit being attacked in favourable conditions.
Christolos

Post by Christolos »

Hi grenadier98,

I also don't know what you mean by "RNG"...

C
“Excellence is never an accident. It is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, and intelligent execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives - choice, not chance, determines your destiny.”

-Aristotle-
grenadier98

Post by grenadier98 »

ORIGINAL: PJL
Personally I'd argue the opposite - all combat should have a minimum of 1 step per attack for both sides to reflect attrition and wear and tear. To compensate you could bump up the steps of damage to the unit being attacked in favourable conditions.

That would mean a full strength, fully supplied, highly upgraded tank with high morale under the command of a 9 or 10 HQ should allways suffer one point of casualties, even when fighting against weakend garrisons or this junk Soviet Corps with no upgrades, low morale, no entrachement and not being under a HQ.
One point of strength on a tank like this costs more MPP than the rest of the other unit. I strongly disgraee with you're point.
As I mentioned before, some losses make no sense to me. Like my above mentioned tank example. Also bomber losses when bombing subs...
grenadier98

Post by grenadier98 »

ORIGINAL: CC1

Hi grenadier98,

I also don't know what you mean by "RNG"...

C

Hi, I mean random number generator.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: grenadier98

As I mentioned before, some losses make no sense to me. Like my above mentioned tank example. Also bomber losses when bombing subs...

Subs have AA guns, most WWII subs spent more time on the surface than submerged
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Hubert Cater

Post by Hubert Cater »

Hi Grenadier,

The intent of the +/- 1 system is to not only reflect some of the randomness in combat but also wear and tear and other damages that can occur from military actions due to combat, i.e. unexpected vehicle damage from use such as hard landings and so on.

But this can be disabled and the only way to do this is to create a customized campaign via the Editor.

1) Launch the Editor and select the desired campaign and then select File->SaveAs and save it as your customized name of choice.

2) Then Campaign Data->Combat Data and under General set the 'Combat Losses +/- (Attacker/Defender)' values to 0.

3) Then click on Apply Data, and in the Select Data column, select/highlight the 'Combat Losses +/- (Attacker/Defender)' entries, and then under the Select Targets column, click on 'Select All'. Then Ok and this should set the data for all combat for all unit types.

4) Exit these screens, File->Save and you are done.

5) Load this customized campaign in game and it should then work as you've desired.

Hubert
grenadier98

Post by grenadier98 »

ORIGINAL: OxfordGuy3

Yes, I know they do. But for good reasons they preferred to crashdive instead of fighting it out with the enemy planes on the surface.
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: grenadier98
ORIGINAL: OxfordGuy3

Yes, I know they do. But for good reasons they preferred to crashdive instead of fighting it out with the enemy planes on the surface.

True, but planes were still shot down by subs, see: https://uboat.net/history/aircraft_losses.htm

There's also always the danger of accidental loses (e.g. mechanical failure) on combat missions over sea.
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
grenadier98

Post by grenadier98 »

Sorry for the late answer, but I couldn't post for several days, because the forum told me I had to wait seven days.

at Hubert Cater
Thanks a lot.

at OxfordGuy3
That's true. You're right. I just felt that regarding the large scale of units, which are resembled in this game, the chance of losing a whole point of accidental losses for every combat is too much. But it seems noone else has any problems with that, so maybe I need to reconsider and learn to live and play with these unexpected losses. After all I don't want to spoil the game balance and ruin the fun.

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”