PCMag Article on Best games?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

demyansk

PCMag Article on Best games?

Post by demyansk »

I looked at the strategy section - WHAT???????????????????????

https://www.pcmag.com/article/344190/th ... s#strategy
zakblood

RE: PCMag Article on Best games?

Post by zakblood »

best is mostly a given users opinion and on sales, not about quality or anything else
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

One man's strategy game is another man's arcade game. [;)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

PC World is better than PC Mag, IMHO.
operating

Post by operating »

The world of gaming I like seems to be getting smaller...[:(]
and one flew over the Cuckoos nest
Yogi the Great

Post by Yogi the Great »

ORIGINAL: operating

The world of gaming I like seems to be getting smaller...[:(]

Yes that is a problem. I have to buy virtually all my games on-line (Direct from Matrix usually) as the stores just don't carry them. Gone are the days of the many software stores you would look around in to find games. Best Buy, Wal-Mart and even GameStop carry very little if anything of the games I have interest in.

As far as the Best Games from the magazine, they don't know what a good game is. Of course that's an old Grognard talking, they are going to go with the games the less knowledgeable but much higher in numbers purchaser base.

Little did we think that Pong would lead us to Playstations, X-box etc. and the ruin of gaming as it should be. [;)]
Hooked Since AH Gettysburg
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

The Best PC Games of 2017 is what Jeffrey L. Wilson at PC Magazine thinks are the best, not necessarily what everybody thinks are the best. It's just one person's opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Well I totally agree with XCOM 2 as a best of 2017 [:)] Really awesome game for people that love tactical and strategic games. Of course this is just my opinion [;)]
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

I just thought it interesting that not any of the games we play here were on the list
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

The words strategy and tactics offsite have totally different meanings to the way we use them.

When I say the words here, they have nothing in common with how they are used elsewhere.

Any game termed 'strategy' off-site may be a good game, but odds are the relevance of it being termed a strategy title will mean nothing to me.
Wargame, 05% of the time.
Play with Barbies 05% of the time.
Play with Legos 10% of the time.
Build models 20% of the time
Shopping 60% of the time.
Exlains why I buy em more than I play em.
Lobster

Post by Lobster »

I use strategy and I use tactics when I play poker. So I guess it should be included in a strategy game list. And considering how many people play it world wide it would be fairly high up on that list too. [:)]
http://www.operationbarbarossa.net/

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity and I’m not sure about the universe-Einstein

Q: What do you call a boomerang that doesn’t come back?
A: A stick.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Well I totally agree with XCOM 2 as a best of 2017 [:)] Really awesome game for people that love tactical and strategic games. Of course this is just my opinion [;)]

Too many timed battles. I don't like to be rushed in any way playing a strategy game. That's why they are turn based so we can take our time taking our turns.

I give x-com the unknown the nod here and think x-com2 went in the wrong direction.

It's another game I wouldn't play if you gave me a free copy. Tried it didn't like it; refunded it. Don't feel I lost anything at all but the download time.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

The words strategy and tactics offsite have totally different meanings to the way we use them.

When I say the words here, they have nothing in common with how they are used elsewhere.

Any game termed 'strategy' off-site may be a good game, but odds are the relevance of it being termed a strategy title will mean nothing to me.

Exactly, like RTS, they are not strategy games in my book. Just a wrist jerk click fest. The one with the fastest wrist wins as long as he brings all his troups in a grunt rush. lol
demyansk

Post by demyansk »

Yes, I have a bunch of rts games. However, I hate the rushing aspect. I wish the Eugen games had the ability to play like the Battlefront games. I liked European Escalation but it's to fast
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Too many timed battles. I don't like to be rushed in any way playing a strategy game. That's why they are turn based so we can take our time taking our turns.

I give x-com the unknown the nod here and think x-com2 went in the wrong direction.

It's another game I wouldn't play if you gave me a free copy. Tried it didn't like it; refunded it. Don't feel I lost anything at all but the download time.

Timed battles? XCOM's tactical battles are all turn based so no battles are real time.

If you mean that there is a turn limit that you need to accomplish something by in XCOM, then I still do not understand. As every historical strategy game I know of has a time limit. So whether you have 12 turns in an XCOM battle or 1,000+ in War in the Pacific, you still have a time limit. Just a difference of scale and time.
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Timed battles? XCOM's tactical battles are all turn based so no battles are real time.

If you mean that there is a turn limit that you need to accomplish something by in XCOM, then I still do not understand. As every historical strategy game I know of has a time limit. So whether you have 12 turns in an XCOM battle or 1,000+ in War in the Pacific, you still have a time limit. Just a difference of scale and time.

Civilization has no time limit or turn limits. You can set it up to play until you launch to Alpha Centauri. SOME games have turn limits; not all. Some games play until you eliminate all the opposing units like in Risk or Stratego.

Also, even in X-Com Unknown save for a couple most of the missions have no time or turn limit. I can take as much time and as many turns as I like to complete those missions. That's what I'm talking about with X-Com2; they went with the turn limits to make up for the POOR ai.
Numdydar

Post by Numdydar »

Every Civ game I have ever played has a time limit. Typically 250 turns iirc. In both games you can take as much time as you want to move things around before hitting End Turn.

So XCOM has a 12 turn limit and the Civs have 250. Still do not see a difference.
Greybriar

Post by Greybriar »

Every Civ game I have ever played has a time limit. Typically 250 turns iirc. In both games you can take as much time as you want to move things around before hitting End Turn.

So XCOM has a 12 turn limit and the Civs have 250. Still do not see a difference.

What do you mean by a "time limit"?
This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee
aaatoysandmore

Post by aaatoysandmore »

Well let's just say you can't see then. Everyone else understands the difference in Xcom2 and Civilization and many other games. I won't argue with you about it; X-com2 sucks because of the turn and time limits of the game. Period. Plus, X-Com1 has many scenarios without any time or turn limits in them at all. That is all. byeeee [:-]
ToressFedd

Post by ToressFedd »

Halo Wars 2 is really cool and attractive. However, its price is too high. I will not spend $ 59.99 on Halo Wars 2. Instead, I will play free full games on Freegames66. Many good games can help me entertain without having to spend any money.

Return to “General Discussion”