Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

P.T. Boats

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> P.T. Boats Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
P.T. Boats - 10/27/2017 12:43:50 PM   
m10bob

For our friends with a recent interest.

https://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/USN/ships/ships-pt.html

Trivia...Prior to being sunk, the crew of the P.T. 109 "borrowed" an army 37mm AT gun, removed the wheels, and lashed it to the bow of the boat.

Everybody knew when "the rich kid" was brought in to the hospital on the'canal, according to my uncle Jim, who was there.
JFK was NOT a phony war hero.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 10/27/2017 3:51:30 PM >

Post #: 1
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/27/2017 12:59:42 PM   
Leandros

Very interesting. Tks for posting! Bulkley's whole book is there, too.

Fred

River Wide, Ocean Deep - a book on Operation Sea Lion - www.fredleander.com
Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018F2QMEW?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 2
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/27/2017 2:00:38 PM   
BBfanboy

I get a "page can't be displayed message" when I right or left-click on the link. Does that site have the JFK docs just released?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 3
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/27/2017 2:41:31 PM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

I get a "page can't be displayed message" when I right or left-click on the link. Does that site have the JFK docs just released?

If so, there shouldn't be a problem to open it....

Fred

Saving MacArthur - a book series on how The Philippines were saved - in 1942! http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B018F2QMEW?*Version*=1&*entries*=0

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/27/2017 5:54:09 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

If so, there shouldn't be a problem to open it....

Fred

CNN reported websites crashing from all the folks trying to access and download the JFK docs - mostly reporters and conspiracy theorists, I presume!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Leandros)
Post #: 5
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/27/2017 10:04:11 PM   
wdolson

I remember back in 1992 when Congress passed the law sealing the JFK records until this year. I was working with a guy from Iran who was fascinated with everything JFK and was lamenting he'd have to wait another 25 years to find out what was in those files.

I left 2 years later and he died of a massive heart attack the same day.

Bill

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/27/2017 10:32:13 PM   
geofflambert

Mounting a 37mm flak gun on that plywood speedboat might be enough to sink her (is it ok to address a boat as "she"?) when fired.

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 7
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/27/2017 10:34:56 PM   
geofflambert

m10bob, you used to have a signature that set my e-set off but no facsimile of that signature appears now. Nonetheless every time I open a thread that you have posted to my eset objects strenuously. Any idea why?

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 8
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/28/2017 12:02:50 AM   
spence

quote:

(is it ok to address a boat as "she"?)

I'm not sure but I think only "English-speakers" give a ship a feminine personality. I was in the Coast Guard and I can't think of any time I heard any boat crew refer to their boat (30 footers, 40 footers, 41 footers, 44 footers as if it was feminine but I'm pretty sure I did hear the crew of an 82 foot PB refer to their boat as a "she".

Incidentally referring to the first sentence of this post I know that a ship is a "he" in both the Russian and German navies. I once asked a Frenchman what the sex of his ship was and he stared at me like I was crazy. The noun bateau is masculine though so I think if a ship has any sex in French it's probably male. Be happy to hear any further thoughts on this topic from the international community to be found here.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 9
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/28/2017 1:15:38 AM   
NigelKentarus

In the USN, a boat is a vessel a ship carries, ie motor whaleboat, RHIB boat, Zodiac, etc. However, all subs are boats.

If the attack is going too well, you're in an ambush.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 10
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/28/2017 1:45:21 AM   
spence

Do submariners refer to their boats as a "she" or an "it"? ( or a "he"?)

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 11
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/28/2017 6:38:45 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Mounting a 37mm flak gun on that plywood speedboat might be enough to sink her (is it ok to address a boat as "she"?) when fired.

They put it on the foredeck and had to reinforce everything underneath the mount very heavily. I suppose they could have reduced the propellant charge too since the barges were not that heavily armoured and engagement ranges would be fairly close. I saw pics or I would have doubted the claim myself.

Post #: 12
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/28/2017 6:44:13 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: spence

quote:

(is it ok to address a boat as "she"?)

I'm not sure but I think only "English-speakers" give a ship a feminine personality. I was in the Coast Guard and I can't think of any time I heard any boat crew refer to their boat (30 footers, 40 footers, 41 footers, 44 footers as if it was feminine but I'm pretty sure I did hear the crew of an 82 foot PB refer to their boat as a "she".

Incidentally referring to the first sentence of this post I know that a ship is a "he" in both the Russian and German navies. I once asked a Frenchman what the sex of his ship was and he stared at me like I was crazy. The noun bateau is masculine though so I think if a ship has any sex in French it's probably male. Be happy to hear any further thoughts on this topic from the international community to be found here.

I think the feminine pronoun is a throwback to the days when British and American sailing ships usually had a female figurehead mounted below the bowsprit for luck, even though the sailors considered it bad luck to have a real woman on board.

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 13
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/28/2017 7:25:12 AM   
Aurorus

quote:

In Spanish ship, barco, is a masculine noun, and all military-class ships (portaavion - aircraft carrier) are masculine. So all pronouns that refer to these nouns are masculine as well. El, lo, etc... . It is not uncommon, however, for Spanish speakers to give their ships female names: Santa Rosa, Santa Isabela, or Nuestra Señora de Calmuchita for example. A ship with a female name can be referred to by either the masculine or the feminine pronoun, depending upon context. For example, it would be appropriate to use the feminine pronoun in Spanish in the following sentence, ¨the Santa Rosa took a full broadside, and she shuddered at the impact.¨

My German and French are very rusty, but I believe that one sees the same usage in these languages as well.

< Message edited by Aurorus -- 10/28/2017 7:46:49 AM >

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 14
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/28/2017 10:10:23 AM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: NigelKentarus

In the USN, a boat is a vessel a ship carries, ie motor whaleboat, RHIB boat, Zodiac, etc. However, all subs are boats.

Is there not an international rule on this - vessels above 12 m. length, or 50 tons displacement, are formally "ships".
Otherwise, a "boat"?

Fred

(in reply to NigelKentarus)
Post #: 15
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 3:45:34 PM   
m10bob

quote:

m10bob, you used to have a signature that set my e-set off but no facsimile of that signature appears now. Nonetheless every time I open a thread that you have posted to my eset objects strenuously. Any idea why?

I am not an IT type but I use Firefox and have an app they offer(free) which will "locate" stuff from the past internet memory banks, even when they no longer "exist" in current internet feeds..Tyler Design used to be the site which offered me the nice B 19 picture, but it is no longer an "active" picture..I suspect this is what you are referring to?

Post #: 16
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 3:50:00 PM   
m10bob

quote:

It was not the "flak" gun..It was the two wheeled light anti-tank gun..

The thing was capable of firing AP, HE, grape, smoke, etc.
At any rate, they never fired it in combat, and it was literally lashed to the deck with rope.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by m10bob -- 10/29/2017 3:54:32 PM >

Post #: 17
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 4:04:33 PM   
MakeeLearn

"Know Your PT Boat"

https://maritime.org/doc/pt/know/index.htm

Attachment (1)

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 18
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 5:14:32 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

quote:

It was not the "flak" gun..It was the two wheeled light anti-tank gun..

The thing was capable of firing AP, HE, grape, smoke, etc.
At any rate, they never fired it in combat, and it was literally lashed to the deck with rope.

I saw b&w photos in a book on PT boats. Both the A/T guns and a 40mm Bofors. It did not appear that the A/T gun was lashed on deck in the pictures, but the angle was low so it could have been.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 19
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 5:22:23 PM   
m10bob

The 109 was exactly as you see it in this pic..It was a "one off" because the crew swiped it from a local Henderson Field unit.

Later, (and you can find many pics), the USN did make a number with 20mm Oerlikon and 40mm Bofors, right off the drawing board.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 20
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 6:31:43 PM   
Rusty1961

Kennedy may have been brave, but his decision to remain stationary was not tactically wise.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 21
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 6:46:02 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Kennedy may have been brave, but his decision to remain stationary was not tactically wise.

Tactical doctrine called for the PT boat to idle on 1 engine, with the other 2 engines off, which Kennedy was doing.
The question is why the DD wasn't seen earlier, either by Kennedy, his exec, or the radar operator. The radar set may not have been working.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 22
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 7:28:03 PM   
spence

quote:

The question is why the DD wasn't seen earlier, either by Kennedy, his exec, or the radar operator. The radar set may not have been working.

I can't completely excuse Kennedy, his exec, the radar operator and anyone else on deck from having not seen those destroyers in sufficient time to avoid being rammed. It's my recollection that nobody on the Japanese destroyer saw the PT 109 until the two ships were in extremis as far as a collision was concerned. But I have been on the bridge at sea on a moonless, humid, and utterly black night in the tropics so it does seem conceivable that they just didn't those darkened ships until too late. I don't remember reading anything re the PT's radar but certainly the early surface search radars could be quirky.

I recall an incident in the 70s where I went up to the bridge to relieve the watch for the 8-midnite. Before relieving the OOD I checked the radar repeater, saw nothing there, and then started talking to the off-going OOD to see if there was anything to pass along. I was just about to say "Sir I relieve you" when all of a sudden a set of running lights went on not 25 yards just off the port bow. Those same lights then "drifted" by the porthole in the CO's cabin about 10 yards off the port side. The CO noticed. I was never so relieved that I hadn't quite said those fateful words.

(in reply to m10bob)
Post #: 23
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 8:12:43 PM   
witpqs

quote:

quote:

I can't completely excuse Kennedy, his exec, the radar operator and anyone else on deck from having not seen those destroyers in sufficient time to avoid being rammed. It's my recollection that nobody on the Japanese destroyer saw the PT 109 until the two ships were in extremis as far as a collision was concerned. But I have been on the bridge at sea on a moonless, humid, and utterly black night in the tropics so it does seem conceivable that they just didn't those darkened ships until too late. I don't remember reading anything re the PT's radar but certainly the early surface search radars could be quirky.

I recall an incident in the 70s where I went up to the bridge to relieve the watch for the 8-midnite. Before relieving the OOD I checked the radar repeater, saw nothing there, and then started talking to the off-going OOD to see if there was anything to pass along. I was just about to say "Sir I relieve you" when all of a sudden a set of running lights went on not 25 yards just off the port bow. Those same lights then "drifted" by the porthole in the CO's cabin about 10 yards off the port side. The CO noticed. I was never so relieved that I hadn't quite said those fateful words.

It's been a very long time since I read a book about PT-109 (I was a kid) but your story is consistent with what I (vaguely) remember them recounting: it was pitch black and they saw nothing until the last minute.

Edit: Correct 'say' to 'saw'.

< Message edited by witpqs -- 10/29/2017 9:01:03 PM >

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 24
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 8:33:18 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

If he had been stationery, would it have been wise to remain so? Perhaps the worst he would have experienced was to be inked and stamped.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 25
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 8:37:33 PM   
geofflambert

quote:

quote:

We have within the past year had two US destroyers or frigates accidentally rammed by commercial ships. I wasn't aware that PT boats in WWII had any sort of radar but if they did it surely was inferior to what the current US Navy ships have. Right?

(in reply to spence)
Post #: 26
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 9:04:53 PM   
Zorch

quote:

quote:

If he had been stationery, would it have been wise to remain so? Perhaps the worst he would have experienced was to be inked and stamped.

Oh!

Post #: 27
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 9:10:13 PM   
MakeeLearn

Could there have been a 2nd Destroyer?

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 28
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 9:44:24 PM   
spence

quote:

Could there have been a 2nd Destroyer?

I read "Japanese Destroyer Captain" a long time ago but IIRC there were 4 destroyers in column with Capt Hara in Shigure last in the column.

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 29
RE: P.T. Boats - 10/29/2017 11:02:41 PM   
Leandros

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Tactical doctrine called for the PT boat to idle on 1 engine, with the other 2 engines off, which Kennedy was doing.

I do not believe all PT's had radar at that time (Kennedy's didn't, according to Wikipedia). They were also quite unreliable.
That said, there is such a thing as "the heat of the battle".

Fred

< Message edited by Leandros -- 10/29/2017 11:11:28 PM >

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> P.T. Boats Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI