Shannon V. OKeets
From: Honolulu, Hawaii
Attached is a zipped file that contains the new MWIF.exe: version 02.05.07.04.
There are some simple improvements in this version: #1, #2, #7, and #37 (!).
And then there are crucial corrections: #4, #8, #12 (!), #17, #18 (!), #23, #24, and #26.
Release Notes for Version 02.05.07.04
These are the same as the Release Notes for version 02.05.07.00 with the following additions:
[Corrections to version 02.05.07.00]
A. Fixed a problem where collapsing Vichy France would sometimes move the Axis unit that entered Vichy to the Destroyed Pool.
B. Fixed a (newly created) problem where creating a new game failed when applying the conquest of Ethiopia.
C. Fixed a problem with Rumania not being able to trace overseas supply through the Black Sea.
[Corrections to version 02.05.07.02]
D. Fixed a problem with Rydz not acting as a secondary supply source after he becomes a Commonwealth unit.
E. Fixed a problem with a supply source tracing tertiary supply to a secondary supply source under some circumstances.
F. Fixed a (newly created in version 02.05.07.02) problem with Conquest at the end of a turn.
All Modes of Play
1. Enabled overrun air units to rebase at triple their normal range when overrun. This rule clarification was provided by Harry Rowland (thanks to Paul for asking Harry Rowland and Michael for reporting this bug).
2. Fixed a problem where a minor country’s units (e.g., tactical bombers) were not getting the benefit of surprise when their controlling major power had surprised the targeted minor country. For example, when Germany DOWs Yugoslavia, the aligned-to-Germany Rumanian air units should be doubled when providing ground support on Yugoslavian units in the impulse of the DOW.
3. Fixed a problem with naval air combat when playing without carrier air units and there are no air units on one side.
4. Fixed a problem with naval air combat when deciding about the role of fighter-bombers (fighter of bomber) and there are fighter-bombers from different major powers on the same side. The program now asks each major power to decide about its fighter-bombers. Previously one major power on a side would be asked, but then the second major power wouldn’t have any air units to decide about.
5. Added code so carriers that have their carrier air component destroyed during an air mission phase over a land hex abort at the end of the phase instead of waiting until the next naval phase (i.e., naval movement, naval combat, and return to base).
6. Added code to fix problems with carrier air units showing up on the map as being aboard two different carriers - which might not even be in the same port/sea area. The program now corrects that situation by clearing the data that marks a carrier as carrying a carrier air unit, which is actually aboard a different carrier.
7. For the 2D10 Land Combat Results Table, removed the requirement that for attacking engineers to receive their City Bonus they have to be using their engineer bonus. Now attacking engineers help reduce the defensive 2D10 City Bonus merely by being one of the attacking units.
8. Fixed a problem where Japan invading Wake Island was causing a US Entry die roll for Japan occupying the Marshalls. Since Japan is already at war with the US, the US Entry action is irrelevant.
9. Added code to avoid a fatal error in land combat calculations after a paradrop has been made. I am not sure why this problem occurred (since I do not have an accompanying saved game), but there was a hole in the CWIF logic which no one had encountered/reported in the past 13 years. I patched the logic hole.
10. Fixed a problem with selecting which land units to disorganize in a land combat when a player changes his mind. Previously selecting a unit would have unpredictable results as to which unit the program actually processed when changing Disorganized to No Effect or vice-versa.
11. Fixed a problem with the program requesting an additional attacking unit be destroyed - one more than there are attacking units - after the player fiddles around with the No Effect and Destroy buttons.
12. Fixed a major problem (newly created) where ending a subphase of a digression (e.g., naval interception, air support) caused the PHASE to end.
13. Fixed a non-fatal error when loading units from a coastal hex onto naval units which just moved to sea after there was the possibility of a naval interception of the moving naval units.
14. Added a check to avoid a possible non-fatal error when merging convoys.
15. Made a small change in the code for initializing for a naval combat to avoid a fatal error caused by damaged game data.
16. Added a check to avoid a non-fatal error when in the middle of processing Production Planning Preliminary and that form has been closed.
17. Fixed a problem in Production with Retraining pilots causing a fatal error.
18. Fixed a (newly created) problem with the USSR claiming the Baltic States leaving them neutral instead of conquered by the USSR.
19. Fixed a problem with enforced peace leaving hexes in Karelia and Eastern Poland as Axis controlled instead of reverting them back to USSR control.
20. Fixed a problem with determining whether there are USSR units in the Finnish Borderlands. This fatal error was newly created.
21. Fixed a problem with Liberating France when Vichy France still exists and there are Vichy French convoys to Split.
22. Added code to avoid the problem of the United States liberating Japan (which was marked as conquered by Germany). The game where this occurred was damaged - somehow.
23. Fixed a bug where the setting (ON/OFF) for the optional rule Limited Overseas Supply Across Straits was never being referenced. Instead, the setting for Limited Overseas Supply was being referenced in its place.
24. Fixed a bug in calculating supply (newly created) which was causing an infinite loop. Also reduced the time to recalculate supply when restoring some strange game positions (from 100+ seconds to 50 seconds).
25. Added some code to avoid a (rarely occurring) fatal error with calculating overseas supply after loading a saved game.
26. Fixed a bug with correcting Overstacking which was generating a fatal error.
27. Fixed a bug in Overstacked hexes where a Partisan unit is overstacked (e.g., it is in a Lake hex that changed from ice back to water).
28. Fixed a new bug where restoring saved games was removing the second carrier air unit from all carriers that had two carrier air units. This correction also repairs any saved games that have this problem.
29. Fixed a problem with restoring damaged games where a carrier air unit is marked as being on a carrier but it is actually in the Reserve Pool. The program now removes its image from the map (leaving it in the Reserve Pool where it belongs). The carrier data is corrected to reflect the fact that the carrier air unit is no longer on the carrier.
30. Added some messages to restoring saved games that report on misaligned carrier air units and carriers. How the carrier data and the carrier air data get out-of-sync is still unknown. These changes correct the data so which units are on which carriers is correct. As part of the corrections, the program also reports the problems that were found (and corrected).
31. Added some code to restoring saved games to correct a problem where the data for Naval Moving Stacks (caused by overrun units) is inaccurate. This fix causes the program to stop and process the Naval Abort Queue instead of stopping (permanently) in the Air Transport CAP subphase.
32. Added a check to avoid a possible non-fatal error when displaying the total factor data for a stack of units.
33. Added a check to avoid a possible non-fatal error when displaying the Unit Data panel in the Naval Review Details form.
34. Added a check to avoid an error when quitting the game in the middle of relocating Peacekeepers.
35. Added some checks to avoid an error when quitting the game in the middle of aligning Rumania after the claim for Bessarabia was denied.
36. Added a line of code to avoid a non-fatal error when trying to focus on the Main form when it is not visible.
37. Improved the Weather Report to show the probabilities of the possible Modifiers and Impulse Advance values for the next weather roll.
38. Changed the minimum amount of a form that is visible (when the saved Screen Layout positions it off the current monitor) from 100 pixels to 300 pixels.
39. Fixed a cosmetic problem with the Spend Surprise Points form that was showing the projected results of air-to-sea combat incorrectly during the anti-aircraft fire subphases.
40. Fixed a problem with the game halting at the beginning of the US Entry subphase of the DOW phase.
41. Added some code (primarily for Head-to-head play) that forces the program to skip the US Entry subphase of the DOW phase once the US is at war with all (unconquered) Axis major powers.
42. For the Conquest phase, added code to handle the case in Head-to-head play where units belonging to a major power NOT at war with the conquering major power need to Relocate (air/land units) or Rebase (naval units).
43. Added a line of code to end a digression if the other player has ended the phase/subphase. This problem occurred for Overstacked digressions where only the Allied player had overstacked units.
44. Added code to reset the Activity Limits for the phasing side during the CAP subphase of the Port Attack phase. This will have no effect on games using other modes of play. It handles a case where the non-phasing player processes the Action Choice data too quickly, causing all the Action Limits on his computer to be set to None.
45. Fixed a problem with converting Greenland and Iceland to neutral minor countries (on both computers) after Denmark is conquered.
46. Added some code to avoid displaying the Antiaircraft Fire form after the subphases for using the form have already been processed.
Perfection is an elusive goal.