Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel Mine" button

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel Mine" button Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel Min... - 10/19/2017 12:38:38 AM   
Rusty1961

As you can see, Sydney has tons of supply and has adequate levels of port and airfields.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 12:40:43 AM   
Rusty1961

Okay, how does one add more than one image? Trying to show how the Bombers can't deploy mines by air or who subs can't withdraw.

Ideas?

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 2
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 12:42:26 AM   
Rusty1961

Okay, here you see the "Withdraw" button doesn't exist, yet the SS-34 is at Sydney.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 3
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 12:49:09 AM   
Rusty1961

No button for Aerial mine-laying either. Also at Sydney.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 4
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 12:50:11 AM   
Rusty1961

No button.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 5
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 12:59:29 AM   
BBfanboy

1. Can you click on the text re: Withdrawal Overdue ? Also. try after it comes out of repair - probably can't withdraw while under repair.
2. Don't think you can aerial mine friendly bases. If not that, could be the mines are not available yet at this date.

< Message edited by BBfanboy -- 10/19/2017 1:00:57 AM >

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 6
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 1:43:26 AM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

1. Can you click on the text re: Withdrawal Overdue ? Also. try after it comes out of repair - probably can't withdraw while under repair.
2. Don't think you can aerial mine friendly bases. If not that, could be the mines are not available yet at this date.

1. I tried every permutation of getting this boat to withdraw. It doesn't work. In repair, out of repair. Ditto with the SS-28. WOn't withdraw.

2. I'm not attempting to mine a friendly base. two Japanese bases are in Australia-both are ports. Both are in range.

The button, no matter where on the map I am, won't appear.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 7
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 4:26:13 AM   
BillBrown

Sydney might be too close to your opponents base. I do not remember the distance, but if the port is in some distance from an enemy airbase I do not think you can withdraw the ship.
I tried to search but could not find it. It might not be a distance, but an air superiority calculation.

< Message edited by BillBrown -- 10/19/2017 4:35:21 AM >

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 8
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 7:07:31 AM   
Chris H

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Okay, how does one add more than one image? Trying to show how the Bombers can't deploy mines by air or who subs can't withdraw.

Ideas?

You can't. You need to combine out of the forum using the likes of paint. You also need to be aware of the upload size limitation, combining might put it over this limit.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 9
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 8:39:12 AM   
Rafid

Repair is not the problem, since only beeing under offline repair (or reactivation from it) forbids withdrawl. The screenshot shows the ship in readiness mode, so this is ok.

Additional prequisites apply as pointed out by Bill (wdolsen) here.

According to his post any enemy presence within 10 hexes (subs don't count) prevents withdrawl as does enemy air superiority. I don't think it has ever been disclosed how the latter is determined, might be complex...

(in reply to Chris H)
Post #: 10
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 12:21:02 PM   
Yaab

Come to think of it, "Withdraw" button on any Japanese unit is an offense to the Emperor. Banzai, always banzai!

(in reply to Rafid)
Post #: 11
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 2:47:12 PM   
Admiral DadMan

48. Gameplay Change: Allow ship withdrawals at any on map level-9 port and some smaller ports with no enemy nearby. Ships can always be withdrawn from any off- map port or from any TF that is currently off map. Ships that are not badly damaged can be withdrawn from some on-map ports or from TFs in certain on-map regions. For on map, ship may not be on fire, total damage may not exceed 99 and no individual damage type (system, floatation, engine) may exceed 50.

Ships may not be withdrawn from any on-map location where the enemy has air superiority. The intent is to prevent withdrawal as a method of saving a ship that stands a good chance of being lost or further damaged. On map withdrawal ports are set based on the historical exit locations for ships leaving the Pacific:

1. Any level 9 port.

2. National home ports of the United States, Canada, India, Australia, and New Zealand (with no port level requirement)

3. Any level 7 or larger port on the US or Canadian West Coast.

4. Any level 7 or larger Indian port East of Ceylon (including Ceylon itself)

5. Any level 7 or larger port in South Eastern Australia, plus Perth.

6. Any level 7 or larger port in New Zealand.

7. No enemy within 10 hexes (except submarines).

< Message edited by Admiral DadMan -- 10/19/2017 2:48:39 PM >

A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

Saratoga's ultimate re-build:

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 12
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 3:16:21 PM   
Rusty1961

Air superiority isn't an issue as the only two Japanese air bases are both closed by Allied bombing daily. I don't even think there are any planes left at either base.

The closest enemy unit is 11 hexes away.

And why not mine-laying button?

(in reply to Admiral DadMan)
Post #: 13
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 3:19:27 PM   
BillBrown

Do you have air dropped mines available in the pool?

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 14
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 3:30:23 PM   
Rusty1961

No aerial mine button, again.

Here I am at Shimushiri-jima. Tons of supplies, level 5 AF, lots of ports in range.

No Joy.

Also, I've yet to lay any aerial mines so supply of mines isn't an issue.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 15
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 3:40:02 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

Do you have air dropped mines available in the pool?

Yes. I've yet to perform said mission, thus I've been stockpiling them since January 1st when they came on-line.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 16
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 4:41:04 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Air superiority isn't an issue as the only two Japanese air bases are both closed by Allied bombing daily. I don't even think there are any planes left at either base.

Was the sub ever in a Transport TF?

Even if it wasn't, have you tried putting it in a new TF, then disbanding it again? If that doesn't work, move it to Melbourne.

The Moose

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 17
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 5:29:45 PM   
Rusty1961

Moose, I will move to Melbourne, but I had the same exact problem with the SS-28. I tried Melbourne and Sydney, both no joy.

No, I never had either the 28 or the 34 in a Sub Transport mission. SOmething is missing with these buttons-graphically-I think as I'm having the same problem with the Aerial mine-laying.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 18
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 5:43:51 PM   
HansBolter

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I thought aerial mining was not available until pretty late in the war and you have to have the devices in the pool.

Hans

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 19
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 5:46:39 PM   
Rusty1961

quote:

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

I'm not an expert on the subject, but I thought aerial mining was not available until pretty late in the war and you have to have the devices in the pool.

Tis available in January 1st, '43.

(in reply to HansBolter)
Post #: 20
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 7:05:09 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

Moose, I will move to Melbourne, but I had the same exact problem with the SS-28. I tried Melbourne and Sydney, both no joy.

No, I never had either the 28 or the 34 in a Sub Transport mission. SOmething is missing with these buttons-graphically-I think as I'm having the same problem with the Aerial mine-laying.

Since they're both button problems it's probably a graphics issue. I can't see anything wrong on any of the screen shots. My only thought on Transport was they had a hanging bit in the DB and re-forming and re-disbanding might recast the DB record. If it's only at Sydney you might have a pwhex glitch too. If you can't aerial mine from any base then it's global and maybe drivers, or other.

The Moose

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 21
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 9:47:36 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

Was the sub ever in a Transport TF?

Even if it wasn't, have you tried putting it in a new TF, then disbanding it again? If that doesn't work, move it to Melbourne.

At one time you had to have the withdrawing unit at it's own National Base (SFO for the US) before it would withdraw. This was fixed a couple of patches ago so that any size 7 port can be used. What version of the game are you playing?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

Post #: 22
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/19/2017 10:59:00 PM   
Rusty1961

Thanks, guys, probably a driver issue.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 23
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/20/2017 5:24:15 PM   
Alfred

quote:

quote:

Since they're both button problems it's probably a graphics issue. I can't see anything wrong on any of the screen shots. My only thought on Transport was they had a hanging bit in the DB and re-forming and re-disbanding might recast the DB record. If it's only at Sydney you might have a pwhex glitch too. If you can't aerial mine from any base then it's global and maybe drivers, or other.

No Moose, it is not drivers. I know you are trying to be helpful but when you are consistently given a bum steer by the OP ....

The answer re aerial minelaying is found in post #16 where it is stated that the mines have been stockpiled since 1 January 1943.

Engineers are supposed to be very logical. Mathematical competency is a necessary requirement of any competent engineer. One cannot be competent in mathematics if one is not very logical.

So let's be logical. What does stockpiling mines, or for that matter any other device, do? It stops any mine from leaving the stockpile. If mines are not leaving the stockpile where are they found. Answer is the mines are found in the stockpile. Would a logical person then expect to find the mines elsewhere, for example at the airfield where the planes are located. Answer is no for how exactly would the mines have moved from the stockpile. Ergo if there are no mines at the airfield, exactly how would the aircraft be able to drop the mines which are not present, on an enemy base. It therefore follows logically that the button to drop mines is not present for it is impossible to logically undertake the mission.

Everyone should just try a very simple test. Pick any unit capable of a city attack. With the Mk 13 not stockpiled see if the minelaying mission button is present. Then try it with the Mk 13 stockpiled and you won't find the button.

All this would have been obvious with a screenshot of the mine stockpiles.

I won't bother responding to the OP's perennially raised issue in other threads of withdrawal other than to say once again there is no logical process involved in his statements.

Alfred

Post #: 24
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/20/2017 6:49:21 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Ah. I see in Post #16 he does say he "stockpiled" the mines. I missed that. Nor would it have penetrated to my mind as I can't see any reason to ever do that to mines in the device inventory screen. It's not as if they can wander off, or be used by a unit you want to withhold from, as LCU devices can be. Also, the word "stockpiled" in general English can be used in two ways. Either forcibly prevented from leaving, as the game uses it, or just "being produced and piled up", with no locus really intended in the definition.

But sure, if he clicked the Stockpile button, that is a more elegant reason the whole map is bereft than any I came up with.

On the sub I continue to not see a cause if air superiority isn't it. Am I missing something in the screenshot?

The Moose

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 25
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/21/2017 3:34:39 AM   
Alfred

quote:

Ah. I see in Post #16 he does say he "stockpiled" the mines. I missed that. Nor would it have penetrated to my mind as I can't see any reason to ever do that to mines in the device inventory screen. It's not as if they can wander off, or be used by a unit you want to withhold from, as LCU devices can be. Also, the word "stockpiled" in general English can be used in two ways. Either forcibly prevented from leaving, as the game uses it, or just "being produced and piled up", with no locus really intended in the definition.

But sure, if he clicked the Stockpile button, that is a more elegant reason the whole map is bereft than any I came up with.

On the sub I continue to not see a cause if air superiority isn't it. Am I missing something in the screenshot?

No, you are not "missing something in the screenshot" for the simple reason that the screenshot shown in post #3 does not disclose all the pertinent data. Recall that in my 101 ship repair guide I strongly recommended that all ship repairs should be conducted via the manage ship repair button, not the individual ship info screen. The post #3 screenshot only discloses details of the sub, it does not disclose the complete details of the repair status. For example that screenshot does not disclose whether the sub is still within the 3 day activation period from offline to online status.

As to air superiority, that still remains very much in the equation. After all these years it still amazes me that you and the others who have provided helpful comments keep on trusting the accuracy of any comment of the OP's. Just because he claims in post #13 air superiority isn't the cause simply does not make it so.

Alfred

Post #: 26
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/21/2017 3:41:32 PM   
Rusty1961

How ironic that it was Alfred's diatribe that allowed me to fix the aerial mine problem.

Thanks, buddy.

(in reply to Alfred)
Post #: 27
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/21/2017 4:02:39 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

How ironic that it was Alfred's diatribe that allowed me to fix the aerial mine problem.

Thanks, buddy.

I feel pretty chagrined that I never thought of turning off the stockpile button - but I don't use that very much so it would not come to mind easily. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 28
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/21/2017 4:19:30 PM   
Rusty1961

There is no reason to have a "Stockpile" button on ariel mines since only deploying them via the "mine" button on a City attack mission is the only way to deplete said mines. It is a flaw in the program.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 29
RE: lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel... - 10/21/2017 6:02:54 PM   
witpqs

quote:

There is no reason to have a "Stockpile" button on ariel mines since only deploying them via the "mine" button on a City attack mission is the only way to deplete said mines. It is a flaw in the program.

No, it is not a flaw in the program. Those devices are just another device and the devices list handles them like any other, including a stockpile button. (And BTW players could choose to use it to keep themselves from making an error, say ordering a mine drop when they forget they are saving for a large op.) Instead it is the absence of an exception to normal handling of that device, the absence of special code for that device, the absence of a feature. It might be something you think should be there but fairness to the developers requires acknowledging it is not a bug.

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Tech Support >> lack of "Withdraw" button and "Ariel Mine" button Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI