Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Field of Glory II

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Field of Glory II Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 6:59:19 AM   
warspite1

So does any kind soul who's played the game care to give a few lines on why this is a good game and worth the money please? I've seen some pictures so is this like Rome Total War? Thank-you.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 1
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 10:55:16 AM   
Yogi the Great

A little early for me to comment. So far I have just fought the three tutorial battles. Probably need to again because I was so into the fight I didn't pay much attention to the tutorial notes.

It hasn't reminded me of Total War. If you've played Pike & Shot you will recognize the similar combat movement and system. This is an improvement however. For me I wasn't into combat in Total War games usually just let the computer handle. Here, combat is the attraction and the fun of it.

Graphics are quite good in my opinion if you like that. While I haven't played a campaign yet, glancing through the manual it appears to be pretty much combat related moving from battle to battle (if you win a battle). No city building etc. such as Total War.

Plenty to play here in the released game. I assume that the DLC's will start to be released as time goes on. It does appear to be a winner and while not a time in history that has been known to attract in games as the civil war and WWII, but I think this game will attract quite a few buyers.

Thanks for starting the thread by the way, it is one of those cases where you have to go to the Slitherine Forum to get the information. I tend to follow what is on Matrix forum.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 2
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 10:59:54 AM   
warspite1

Thanks for the response. I'm interested to hear from others please before taking the plunge.

Re visiting other forums, I'm with you, I like the layout here - it feels comfortable so I'll stick with Matrix.

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 3
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 11:03:23 AM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Thanks for the response. I'm interested to hear from others please before taking the plunge.

Re visiting other forums, I'm with you, I like the layout here - it feels comfortable so I'll stick with Matrix.

Me too. However you might want to take a look over there (can use the link on Matrix Forum). The initial comments and information on the game are very positive.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 4
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 11:06:38 AM   
Orm

Have you read the review AWNT?

http://www.awargamersneedfulthings.co.uk/2017/10/field-of-glory-ii-by-slitherine-and.html

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Yogi the Great)
Post #: 5
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 11:07:18 AM   
Orm

quote:

Same for me.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 11:20:09 AM   
zakblood

my comments would be kind of bias as was on the beta, so will let others make there mind up and post there thoughts on it

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 7
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 11:58:02 AM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

my comments would be kind of bias as was on the beta, so will let others make there mind up and post there thoughts on it

Understood Zakblood but your comments are usually very helpful and informative.

Just pretend you are a game player (regardless of being on beta) and let your opinion known! I've always valued your opinion. Although I'm usually right more than you are.

Hooked Since AH Gettysburg

(in reply to zakblood)
Post #: 8
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 12:10:01 PM   
Toby42

quote:

I like Matrix Forums over Slitherine's. It is easier to navigate here. As to the game, the 1 gig of video ram is keeping me away? Over on Slitherine they said to buy from Steam and if it doesn't work they will give you a refund! I've never dealt with Steam, so I'm not familiar with them?

Tony

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 9
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 12:22:00 PM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

ORIGINAL: Toby42

quote:

I like Matrix Forums over Slitherine's. It is easier to navigate here. As to the game, the 1 gig of video ram is keeping me away? Over on Slitherine they said to buy from Steam and if it doesn't work they will give you a refund! I've never dealt with Steam, so I'm not familiar with them?

Its easy to get a refund as long as you don't play the game more than 2 hours or have it for two weeks before refunding. I have refunded a number of games without an issue. Sometimes they will give a refund beyond that, but I wouldn't count on it. When you refund, you select a reason such as it didn't work on your machine or you just didn't like it. Very easy.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 10
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 12:31:51 PM   
sullafelix

The game itself will be very easy to get into for people who have played Pike and Shot and Sengoku Jidai.

The AI is as good as it is in those games. Graphically I think the game looks even better.

There are not many Epic (historical) battles yet, but the team is going to release DLCs.

The modders were at work before it was even released.

The interactions between troops feels right. They have not just cookie cut different graphics on the other games.

It comes form the table top rules that FOG I came from and this time one of the developers of the table top rules was a developer for FOG II.

Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 11
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 1:32:13 PM   
76mm

Just bought the game last night, so far so good. I've played through the tutorials and Charonea, and was impressed by the AI in the latter (it beat me as Pontics in a nail-biter).

My only thought so far is that phalanxes seem really under-powered--everything and everybody seems able to beat up on them in frontal attacks, which seems odd. Gotta RTFM however to see if I'm missing something.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 12
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 2:04:26 PM   
sullafelix

Remember that there are many different kinds of phalanxes. With Pontic ones some of the worst.

There are better ones.

Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 13
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 4:06:33 PM   
loki100

I really liked his earlier pike and shot. One of very few games that live up to the 'easy to learn, hard to play' claim. Frustrating and engaging in the right ways.

Now I'm more interested in late medieval and early modern but have had huge gameplay value so far. So only thing that would hold me back is less interest in the era and a lack of cash

In pike and shot the tutorials were excellent

AARs:
WiTW: Once Upon a Time (somewhere)in the West; Fischia il vento; (oh) For a few Panzers More; XXX Corps Diary; Infamy, Infamy!
Others at AGEOD
PoN: A clear bright sun

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 14
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 4:37:59 PM   
Yogi the Great

quote:

ORIGINAL: loki100

I really liked his earlier pike and shot. One of very few games that live up to the 'easy to learn, hard to play' claim. Frustrating and engaging in the right ways.

If you liked Pike and Shot you will like this. I was going to post similar to you above. This is easy to learn and play the game, but can be hard to master. The AI is very good and at times down right diabolical. You think you have them on the ropes and suddenly the AI seems to be able to hit hard and it doesn't miss very many chances to flank or rear attack. Maybe it knows how to cheat

So far at Tribune difficulty (which manual advised was the closest to equal) I have been able to win the three tutorials and two quick battles. But all were hard fought and had me wondering which side was winning during play.

(in reply to loki100)
Post #: 15
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 4:53:49 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05

Remember that there are many different kinds of phalanxes. With Pontic ones some of the worst.

There are better ones.

Better how? Better troop quality or some other factor?

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 16
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 6:11:05 PM   
sullafelix

Troop quality, whole Pontic armies were regularly beat by one or two Legions.
I know in the Magnesia scenario there are different quality phalanxes.

On the other hand, the 'Silver Shields' from the earliest Macedonian should wipe the floor with a legion.

< Message edited by sulla05 -- 10/14/2017 6:16:17 PM >

Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 17
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 6:17:13 PM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

So does any kind soul who's played the game care to give a few lines on why this is a good game and worth the money please? I've seen some pictures so is this like Rome Total War? Thank-you.

The difficulty levels are over the top good and finally I think you can find your level of play that you'll find it challenging.

Graphically it's superior to FOG1, but,yeah graphics ain't the game but it is pretty.

It has both pick your game or randomly generate a game or randomly generate your map and pick your units or just click go and a game will be made for you. It has loads of pre-made armies to pick from. It has a buy your units with a point system generated by the game.

It has a Tin Soldiers like campaign game in that you pick who you want to play and the game will generate 3 to 5 linked scenarios or 5 to 7 and you play till you can't win (and believe me these get harder so you will lose). I believe though I haven't tried it it also has a custom campaign system. Where you buy your core units from a list of that army and play out the campaign with those and generated allies of the times.

Speaking of difficulty it has a progressive difficulty setting beyond the regular difficulties that progressively makes the campaign harder as well each time you win.

It is nothing like Rome Total War in that it is totally turn based on an igougo system. It's pretty realistic an historical. Some matches will make you pull your hair out while others will make you smile like a cheshire cat.

While it's simple to play; only click or two per unit; it's not going to be easy to master. I started out on the hardest difficulty and I was quickly shown the exit door to a much lower level of difficulty.

The negative: It has no over the map campaign system.

No diplomacy

No way to bypass a loss in campaigns (yet) If you want to continue a campaign right now you best save after each battle won or just before a new battle begins so you can play it over if you lose.

No Dac or Dag (never can remember the right letters) like in FoG1

Overall I would recommend it. The price is right for what you get imho. You don't get many games like this for 29.99

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 18
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 6:56:54 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

quote:

The difficulty levels are over the top good and finally I think you can find your level of play that you'll find it challenging.

Graphically it's superior to FOG1, but,yeah graphics ain't the game but it is pretty.

It has both pick your game or randomly generate a game or randomly generate your map and pick your units or just click go and a game will be made for you. It has loads of pre-made armies to pick from. It has a buy your units with a point system generated by the game.

It has a Tin Soldiers like campaign game in that you pick who you want to play and the game will generate 3 to 5 linked scenarios or 5 to 7 and you play till you can't win (and believe me these get harder so you will lose). I believe though I haven't tried it it also has a custom campaign system. Where you buy your core units from a list of that army and play out the campaign with those and generated allies of the times.

Speaking of difficulty it has a progressive difficulty setting beyond the regular difficulties that progressively makes the campaign harder as well each time you win.

It is nothing like Rome Total War in that it is totally turn based on an igougo system. It's pretty realistic an historical. Some matches will make you pull your hair out while others will make you smile like a cheshire cat.

While it's simple to play; only click or two per unit; it's not going to be easy to master. I started out on the hardest difficulty and I was quickly shown the exit door to a much lower level of difficulty.

The negative: It has no over the map campaign system.

No diplomacy

No way to bypass a loss in campaigns (yet) If you want to continue a campaign right now you best save after each battle won or just before a new battle begins so you can play it over if you lose.

No Dac or Dag (never can remember the right letters) like in FoG1

Overall I would recommend it. The price is right for what you get imho. You don't get many games like this for 29.99
warspite1

Thank-you.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 19
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 10:40:12 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: sulla05
Troop quality, whole Pontic armies were regularly beat by one or two Legions.
I know in the Magnesia scenario there are different quality phalanxes.

Yeah, I wouldn't have been surprised if the phalanxes were low quality, but in Charonea they are "average", which I thought would hold up better.

Anyway, great game and my best game purchase in years. I played much, much more multiplayer in FoG 1 than any other game and am looking forward to many multiplayer games in FoG 2 as well.

(in reply to sullafelix)
Post #: 20
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/14/2017 11:38:08 PM   
Toby42

What's the difference between dedicated memory and display memory? I have an integrated video card!

Tony

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 21
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/15/2017 12:01:55 AM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

What's the difference between dedicated memory and display memory? I have an integrated video card!

I am assuming your meaning dedicated video memory...basically the amount of memory your video card has available to support graphics in games and such. For this game, 1GB of video memory is listed as the minimum requirement. You just need to look up your video card type and find out if it has the required amount. Sometimes games will still work under the requirements, but no guarantee. You can always try it on steam and return it if it doesn't work (as long as you play less than 2 hours and within 2 weeks). Should be plenty of time to find out and really the only way you'll ever know for sure.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 22
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/15/2017 12:42:35 AM   
Toby42

quote:

ORIGINAL: Grim.Reaper

quote:

I am assuming your meaning dedicated video memory...basically the amount of memory your video card has available to support graphics in games and such. For this game, 1GB of video memory is listed as the minimum requirement. You just need to look up your video card type and find out if it has the required amount. Sometimes games will still work under the requirements, but no guarantee. You can always try it on steam and return it if it doesn't work (as long as you play less than 2 hours and within 2 weeks). Should be plenty of time to find out and really the only way you'll ever know for sure.

So only dedicated memory is available for the game? The display memory has nothing to do about it? the display memory is a much larger number than the dedicated memory!

Tony

(in reply to Grim.Reaper)
Post #: 23
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/15/2017 1:24:36 AM   
Grim.Reaper

quote:

quote:

quote:

So only dedicated memory is available for the game? The display memory has nothing to do about it? the display memory is a much larger number than the dedicated memory!

Not sure I understand...and not sure why focusing on dedicated memory. If your video card has 1GB, then you meet the minimum requirements.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 24
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/15/2017 6:31:15 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

quote:

quote:

Display memory draws from the computers cpu which lowers the values of the cpu performance level. While you might have enough memory for the graphics with a display memory you might then not have enough for the games needs.

On the other hand if you have dedicated memory it won't use the cpu memory until you've used all the dedicated memory up. Therefore no real draw on the cpu and more memory from it left for the games performance.

That's what I've gathered from dedicated vs display memory.

(in reply to Toby42)
Post #: 25
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/15/2017 6:58:54 AM   
zakblood

the game works well with 1GB of dedicated memory, but if you only 512MB of dedicated memory you need to alter the settings in game to lower some of the eye candy down a bit, or it will be jerky.

plenty of testing has been done on this part, for me i got it to run with, on a very low spec dual core celeron T3000 @ 1.80GHz

Display Memory: 1565 MB
Dedicated Memory: 64 MB
Shared Memory: 1501 MB

in my beta tests, with every thing set at it's lowest

http://www.slitherine.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=488&t=79647

the game more about video than CPU from the developers other games in the series, eg Pike and Shot and Sengoku Jidai: Shadow of the Shogun etc...

with Dedicated Memory: 499 MB or more, medium settings can be used on most maps, but maybe altered for the largest map and unit battles.

so yes it will work with less, just siding on the side of caution so everyone knows what to expect from a given set of hardware results.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 26
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/15/2017 11:12:00 AM   
rico21

Attachment (2)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 27
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/15/2017 12:31:35 PM   
direhobbit

Good Day everyone.
Since I've played the Total War series for many years I thought I would post a brief comparison between that series and Field of Glory 2.
Battles:
Both games allow you to set up and deploy units before battle (unless surprised in TW.)
TW's battles tend to be fast-paced and get very bloody very quickly. I've found that FoG2 allows for more battlefield strategies & tactics since evenly matched units can remain in pitched combat for longer periods of time, and the engine is turn-based.
Unit variety:
Both games offer a wide variety of units, but I believe you get more actual variety in terms of unit types, abilities, etc... in FoG2.
Economy:
There is no economic model in FoG2, although you do get some options for purchasing units before a battle.
Agents/diplomacy:
TW offers a mechanic for agents and diplomats to interact with other nations on a strategic map. FoG2 focuses on the battles.
Overall, the use of a strategic map in TW makes it a very different game experience than FoG2. If battlefield strategy is your forte'however, than I think FoG2 gets the nod.
Just some initial thoughts from a forum newbie....

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 28
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/15/2017 12:36:58 PM   
zakblood

welcome to the forum direhobbit

(in reply to direhobbit)
Post #: 29
RE: Field of Glory II - 10/15/2017 1:14:53 PM   
rico21

I know, I know but I wanted to look at their face ...

Attachment (2)

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Field of Glory II Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI