Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Number of German Rifle Squads in 1944

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Number of German Rifle Squads in 1944 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Number of German Rifle Squads in 1944 - 10/12/2017 11:47:53 PM   
Searry

So the Soviets are well on their way on their winter offensive and I have dropped down to 35k rifle squads. Should I tone down my infantry division toe from 90% to 80%?
I upgraded all divisions to 100% during the start of the offensive since I had accumulated a big reserve, but the very heavy fighting has taken it's toll.
Post #: 1
RE: Number of German Rifle Squads in 1944 - 10/13/2017 2:08:54 PM   
TheLysander

If you're in the winter 43/44 then you should have just lost the initiative in the war and will start getting swamped by the ruskies. However if you have 35k rifle squadols you have to be very conservative. The soviets will just bleed you dry. If you go below 25k start to worry if you fall below 16k its safe to say you're front line won't hold it will just crumble. However if you're instead in the winter 44/45 and have 35k rifle squads don't worry should have more than enoughost to lasthe you until turn 225 and be able to hold back the tide of commies.

< Message edited by TheLysander -- 10/13/2017 2:10:22 PM >

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 2
RE: Number of German Rifle Squads in 1944 - 10/13/2017 4:34:11 PM   
Searry

I'd say I have lost the initiative since I have to counter attack every turn. It is the 43/44 winter, yes. If I have to be conservative, what TOE would you suggest?
How do you fight against the breakthrough artillery? Bombers do nothing and when I break through enemy lines and attack the artillery, they don't die that easily.
I think I can hold the line until turn 225 if I counterattack enough.

(in reply to TheLysander)
Post #: 3
RE: Number of German Rifle Squads in 1944 - 10/13/2017 5:33:24 PM   
morvael

If you have space, withdraw. This will conserve manpower. But it has to be fairly long retreat to cause the Soviet supply system to break down.

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 4
RE: Number of German Rifle Squads in 1944 - 10/13/2017 7:55:17 PM   
Searry

quote:

ORIGINAL: morvael

If you have space, withdraw. This will conserve manpower. But it has to be fairly long retreat to cause the Soviet supply system to break down.

Good idea!

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 5
RE: Number of German Rifle Squads in 1944 - 10/13/2017 9:26:48 PM   
morvael

It will give you some respite, but not forever. Try to prepare the new line first, it should be shorter and behind rivers. Best to coordinate this with onset of mud season, so just as the Soviets will catch up with you, the mud will start, and they will be stranded with railheads far behind the front. This must be fairly long retreat like Dnieper to Vistula, so can be done only once, and only if your army is on the brink of destruction. Better to retreat, than suffer encirclement due to a breakthrough that you will fail to contain. Desperate measure for sure, but can buy some time. Worst option is to retreat slowly, so they catch up with you every turn. That way they replenish their troops better (no contact with enemy), while you can't do the same (since they move back into contact for your logistics phase).

(in reply to Searry)
Post #: 6
RE: Number of German Rifle Squads in 1944 - 10/13/2017 10:05:42 PM   
TheLysander

You need to decide what your end goal is, do you want a victory? If so you have to hold the ruskies back from the original start point of 41. If you want to draw then just hold onto berlin and some other points. I recomment trying to go for teh win. You no longer have the manpower to hold you ground. I tried and your divs will get really badly mauled over time. Build fortified lines in advance to slow the ruskies down. For example what i did is fortified the hell out of Leningrad with lvl 4 forts and the north of Karelia too. Now i control leningrad and its juicy vps aswell as making the soviet player divert around 10000 artillery pieces and around 1000 afv to take one portion of the city. Yes in comparison to the size of the red aemy its nothing but at least those resources arent attacking my already feeble line. Counter-attack where possible and never do it with your german divs, only with your panzers (if you have around 9000+ afv) because ive realised that attacking ith normal divs is extremely costly (1000+ casualties) and they are much more fragile than PzDivs. One more thing, the SS are your best asset in my opinion, use them well. Some arive and are taken off the front shortly after, use em up. If you intend on trying to hold your ground as much as possbile dont be alarmed to see most of your inf divs at an average of 9000 men. Also casualties will begin to be 1:1 ratio or even worse for you.

(in reply to morvael)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Number of German Rifle Squads in 1944 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI