WW2 Pacific?

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

wodin

WW2 Pacific?

Post by wodin »

I know the main appeal of the game\sim is all the tech but I was wondering if anyone has made a mod taking us back to WW2?
mikmykWS

RE: WW2 Pacific?

Post by mikmykWS »

The Cold War DB that comes with the game has tons of WW2 units.

Think a lot of WW2 players would buy Command if a WW2 DB was added?

Mike
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

Hi wodin

Scenarios can be made pretty well with the Cold War DB for late WW2 battles. Which battles are you interested in? I put together a few I never posted. They were never play tested but I can send them to you. PM me if interested.

Kevin
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
SeaQueen

Post by SeaQueen »

It's hard to say. I'm not sure a WWII scenario would be great on account of certain things Command doesn't do well (e.g. kamikaze aircraft). A Battle of Midway scenario wouldn't necessarily be great. It'd be interesting to play with though, because it'd emphasize different things than the typical Command scenario. Guns and unguided weapons would be the main focus, instead of missiles, and electronic warfare would be much more limited.

Some of the new amphibious assault features might be interesting to play with at some point, though, if a serious ground combat model was implemented. You could do the Normandy invasion, for example, complete with gliders.

I'm of the opinion that the thing that makes Command unique and great is it's focus on the post-war era into the present day, which has really been defined by missiles. While it might have some capability to do earlier era stuff, I don't know if that should be the main focus. It might be worthwhile to do a separate "WWI and WWII" era product. That could also encompass conflicts like the Russo-Japanese war, and the Spanish Civil War, where air power and sea power were important but also still experimental.

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Mike
serjames

Post by serjames »

Would need a re-skin for WWII... something with bakelite textures ;-)
ultradave

Post by ultradave »

Mike

I would in a heartbeat. I’m a long time WW2 Naval miniatures collected and player using Seapower 3 and Seekrieg But Command gives you the additions of having limited intelligence, which is missing in miniatures. Plus your database work is awesome and worth the price of the game just for that.

Go for it and count me s a sale. And glad to help in any way.

(Edit). Actually I realize I misread this question. I would be interested in a standalone version or a comprehensive add on. I think there would be some interest in a simulation that covers everything from WW2 to present day. How many more? Hard to say.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
ETF

Post by ETF »

WWII would be amazing......WITP guys would port over for sure for some action. Mind you need to get Multiplayer options going too, please :)
My Top Matrix Games 1) CMO MP?? 2) WITP/AE 3) SOW 4) Combat Mission 5) Armor Brigade

Twitter
https://twitter.com/TacticWargamer
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

The simple fact is that the CMANO engine is not built to accurately represent WWII combat.

Critical mechanics for Pre-1950s battles such as plunging fire, submarines without snorkels, and crossing the T are not modeled at all.

Additionally, Dogfights are not modelled sufficiently, I think, to accurately reflect air to air combat in WWII.

Also, given the lack of missile technology (except the few experimental, and a couple operational, models), I think the engine may struggle with the massive amounts of shells, bombs, unguided rockets and bullets that would be thrown into the air in a WWII battle.

There is some stuff in the CWDB to throw something together. You might, just barely, be able to recreate the attack on Pearl Harbor, as well as the first four of the five Carrier Battles (Coral Sea, Midway, Eastern Solomons, Santa Cruz).

Beyond that, I think you are going to run into some serious problems.

Mike

I think so, but there would have to be significant additions and improvements to the engine alongside a WWII DB for it to work.

For me, the single thing I would be looking forward to in a hypothetical WWII expansion would be fighting the Carrier Battles, as well as custom Carrier Battles. I've been learning a lot about them lately and only CMANO seems to offer the type of game engine I would want to fight those battles.

ParachuteProne

Post by ParachuteProne »

I would like to see WW2 but also think we need better ground combat with larger Battalion sized or larger units represented in both WW2 and modern.
Also cargo needs further development first. We need to be able to drive a unit/weapons load to a base load it then deliver it to another base.

HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

Land combat being improved is not a necessary requirement for a WWII DB. There is enough in WWII naval and air combat to make it a worthwhile expansion. While my main interest for WWII in the context of CMANO is the Pacific War's Carrier Battles, I think other operations could be interesting and fun, such as the Battle of Britain, Strategic Bombing of Germany and The Arctic Convoys. There are also plenty of interesting choices for what if scenarios, such as a War Plan Orange battle, the Naval Battle of Wake Island that almost happened, or a battle with the Graf Zeppelin having been fully developed into an operational carrier go up against a Royal Navy carrier task force.

And I think it would be amazing to recreate the Battle of Leyte Gulf in full real time, all four days of it.

Cargo development could be improved for the case of Amphibious landings and supply drops. The siege of Bastogne, Operation Overlord, and the encirclement of the Sixth Army at Stalingrad come to mind for this.

ultradave

Post by ultradave »

The night naval battles around Guadalcanal and the Slot would be good too. The real life problems of sighting and knowing what's out there could be handled by the game.
----------------
Dave A.
"When the Boogeyman goes to sleep he checks his closet for paratroopers"
StellarRat

Post by StellarRat »

I've never seen a WW II naval/air/ground game that could handle all three elements well except at a very abstract level (War in the Pacific comes to mind). I think Command with some improvements to handle the things mentioned by the other posters above could do WW II very, very well. Most of the naval focused WW II games only handle one thing in detail, it's either, surface combat, subs or carrier combat not all three combined. Mines are hardly ever included, but should be. If the game does do all three it's usually not done in a tactical time frame. But since Command can handle all three on a tactical level already it has huge leg up on being a truly awesome WW II naval sim. To me, changing it to handle WW II should be fairly easy since modern warfare is much more complicated and it's already doing that. Once you've got WW II handled, WW I is a snap. You could almost go to Age of Sail with no problem as well. Each layer is simpler than the one before it, so it gets easier. Just my two cents.
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. I don't really think this should go any farther back in time than World War II, at least not officially.
Cik

Post by Cik »

personally i'd like a clan vs clan emulation of caveman warfare.

not only could you use MK1 eyeball, but you could also use MK1 stick! or the even deadlier, highly experimental MK2 stick!

it'd be a best seller.
Phoenix100

Post by Phoenix100 »

I would love to play Midway, Coral Sea etc in Command. I think in terms of things like dogfights etc not being done in sufficient detail presently that doesn't really matter for me. It would work at an abstracted level. After all, the commander of a CV group would rarely know in detail what was happening out there until the survivors returned and were debriefed.

To get more than a handful of (naval) scenarios out of it then land units and land combat might need more developing - I agree.
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

I hear that the forward thinking strategists have envisioned the MK I cliff. Could be used to drive mammoths over!

Attachments
mammoth.jpg
mammoth.jpg (7.67 KiB) Viewed 218 times
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
Cik

Post by Cik »

nonsense. it will never pan out. the same nonsensical dreamers that proposed the "sharp wedge" are probably behind this garbage.

MK1 stick will remain primary weapon of men for rest of long-moon-time.
stilesw

Post by stilesw »

Still, we have earlier experts! Knife to a gunfight + stealth. Who knows?

Attachments
37Ways.jpg
37Ways.jpg (33.22 KiB) Viewed 218 times
“There is no limit to what a man can do so long as he does not care a straw who gets the credit for it.”

Charles Edward Montague, English novelist and essayist
~Disenchantment, ch. 15 (1922)
kevinkins

Post by kevinkins »

What the heck, Modern is a relative term.
“The study of history lies at the foundation of all sound military conclusions and practice.”
Alfred Thayer Mahan
wodin

Post by wodin »

Yes. Though as others have said would need to have work done not just DB if it was going to be done. Either a whole new standalone, ora major expansion

Mike

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”