DCS Combines Arms?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

Mind

DCS Combines Arms?

Post by Mind »

Have a question about DCS Combined Arms game. Is it really realistic one? Is it similar to Combat Mission or Steel Beasts or Graviteam Operation Star or Steel Armor Blaze of War or ARMA3? Which one to choose Steam version or to buy directly from DCS site?
zakblood

RE: DCS Combines Arms?

Post by zakblood »

£869.19 for the full version (DLC pack)

DCS: Combined Arms 1.5 £16.24

plus the free version on steam

so one hell of a lot of money for a game, sim etc, and no, i haven't got it, or would buy it either
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Regarding DCS CA...

I have played DCS CA quite alot in the past, and play Steel Beast every weekend (MP), and I have and played Steel Armor too, as well as Panzer Elite, yeah I like armor [:D]

DCS World is free, then you buy the module you like, in this case Combined Arms (CA) which you can buy for about €20. The cool thing about DCS is that all modules use the same map/engine which is DCS World. Now there´s another map out for WWII, and there are constantly updateing versions of the map/engine. DCS World 2.0 Beta, and DCS World 1.5. In a near future (hopefuly), only one version of DCS will be used (DCS World 2.0). At the moment, you can have both versions on the same PC, and most modules work with both versions. IMHO I think it´s better to go for the none-Steam version of DCS World + any module you like. DCS World comes with two free modules, the SU T-25 and the P-51, both are basic models, because other paied modules have advance flight models among other things, but both are a challenge to learn and fly as they are.

- In the tank sim world one would say that Steel Beast is the most realistic tank sim, that´s talking about the PE version (Personal Edition), because there´s the military version too. Steel Beast PE is not perfect, but like I said, one thinks it´s the best out so far. Others are fine too, but just not in the same level.

- Compared to Combat Mission, well it´s a whole different world, the same with Graviteam.

- Steel Armor BoW would be the next on the list, although limited to two tanks.

- DCS CA, well although it´s quite nice and if played with other´s (MP) give´s ALOT of game play, has one BIG flaw that SOMEDAY will get fixed/patched, and that is that you can "see" through tree´s!!! So, hiding in the wood´s will no benefit you what so ever. Besides this issue there are alot of cool things in CA, like SAM sites and the ability to lase targets and set-up a JTAC situation with a A-10 or Kamov K-50! You do need another humen player in order to use a JTAC doctrine but if you do, it´s unique and fun, as no other platform can do so. There is a steap learning curve to achive a real-to-life JTAC mission, but if both parties do there homework, it´s a great experience, but like I said, you do need a human pilot who knows what to do while you call the 8-ball and guide him in for the hit!

For the price, well not much to lose, besides the handycap it´s fun! There is a work around for the tree´s issue over at the DCS forum, but that´s another story...

--

Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

I got seduced into buying DSC CA for single player and was a huge mistake. The UI alone is incomprehensible - makes Graviteam's seem easy [;)] K-50 does offer beautiful graphics, but unfortunately I just can't handle the complexity of flying an aircraft like that. Way too many buttons for an old man to handle. But if you're a licensed pilot, go for it!

As Red said above, you're all in or all out with DCS - pay for the modules and play these complex, coordinated multiplayer battles. I'll stick with Combat Mission, only because I've spent years learning it.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

But if you're a licensed pilot, go for it!

I have just finished to learn how to start this one. There are already enough buttons. So perhaps later...

Attachments
b757.jpg
b757.jpg (398.5 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Chancellor Gorkon to Captain James T. Kirk:
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Let me guess...

X-Plane 11 and Flight Factors B767 [8D]

I just updated to Prepar3Dv4 (V4.1 tomorrow) and a GTX1060. I also have X-Plane 11 but fly the classic B727 by FlyJSim. A big update is also due for XP-11!

I also like airplanes alot [:D]
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

Yes XP11.10 is planned to start BETA very soon now. You are not too far but the screenshot is X-Plane 10 and Flight Factor B757 (the v2 version).
It is true that the cockpit between B757 and B767 is similar.
You don't trust me, do you? I don't blame you. If there is to be a brave new world, our generation is going to have the hardest time living in it.
ncc1701e

Post by ncc1701e »

ORIGINAL: Red2112
I just updated to Prepar3Dv4 (V4.1 tomorrow) and a GTX1060. I also have X-Plane 11 but fly the classic B727 by FlyJSim. A big update is also due for XP-11!

Me too, I like airplane very much. Myself, I am dreaming of the PMDG 737 NGX for X-Plane if one day they decide to do it...
Crossing fingers.
Rosseau

Post by Rosseau »

Amazing screen shot. The series has come a long way, but don't have the rig to handle it.
Agathosdaimon

Post by Agathosdaimon »

combined arms was the one reason i tried to get into DCS world as their flight sims just are too complicated - just managing to actually start up a Black Shark was an effort and then i crashed it right away - it seems perfect for the diehard simmers - combined arms however was kind of reminding me of M1TP2 a little and but unfortunately it seems to be only a kind of complement to the flight sims, that said however there is single player content there and when i did dip into it recently, i had some fun, but i think Steel Beasts Pro PE is the best

what i would like to know myself is whether ARMA 3 is good for tank simming - it was always still a bit too simplified in the previous iterations.

i love overall tough how intuitive and accessible the Steel Beasts game is for even i think casual gamers like i find myself now to be
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

for me any game, no matter how good the eye candy is, needs to be accessible and playable and with a good UI and best of all, fun.

if it's a sim,.

there's always a chance that make it too real, then hardly anyone unless a really tech geek with be able to understand or even play it.

some of the best looking war games to date seem to fail on a few things, either they look great but don't play too well, look ok but UI is wrong or not so hot, or look really poor but have a working to good UI but don't feel to realistic at times, and of yet imo not one managers to do all things to make it stand out in all area's, from the games listed above that is.
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

That sim is nice, but too expensive. Falcon 4.0 BMS is really good too and free to download that BMS along with it.
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

Was posting a long post but session timed out! [:@] I think this is a old web format to be honest but it´s the second time this has happend....

Long story short. Don´t try to fly helicopters as your first airframe, specialy coaxial one´s, just as in real life!

As for flight sims, same go´s, fly light/single engine airframes first, like the Cessna C-172, De Havilland DCH-2 or Piper P-18 Super Cub, like before as in real life and even as with real life RC flying! [;)]

Sims are just that, a simulation of real life gear used for training, most are far from the game gener.

Fair winds and safe flights!
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

thanks Red2112 for the heads up[;)]
rico21

Post by rico21 »

When I think the best game about the pacific war was done by Russians for 3 year old kids.[:D]

Attachments
pstorm1.jpg
pstorm1.jpg (473.62 KiB) Viewed 203 times
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

i don't know, it's not a bad game tbh

then again i have a low mental age, more like my shoe size tbh [8|][;)][:D]
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (146.13 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Red2112

Post by Red2112 »

ORIGINAL: ncc1701e

ORIGINAL: Red2112

Me too, I like airplane very much. Myself, I am dreaming of the PMDG 737 NGX for X-Plane if one day they decide to do it...
Crossing fingers.

Ok, X-Plane 10 and the FF 757, almost! [:D]

I bought the TFDi B717 for P3D for my regional flight´s (Opt-In Beta version for P3Dv4) last week, and have iFly´s B747 V2 for long hauls [;)]

For DCS users I suggest to go first with trainers like the L-39, C-101 or Hawk T1A, then move up to more complex airframes. With most sims there is the option to "Auto-Start" your plane, so all you have to do is look for your "take-off/rotate" speed and adjust flaps for take-off, same goes for landing. You will be in the air in no time!

The good thing about DCS and it´s modules is that you can recreate JTF (Joint Task Force) missions in a multiplayer scence. Best thing to do, is join a online community which deals with the DCS simulation platform and that has some sort of guided online training missions. In order words join a "Virtual Air Wing", makes learning alot easier! I even spent two years in a virtual acrobatic team with the C-101 in DCS! That´s how I learned Flacon 4.0 and Janes 688i H/K way back with the now desolved "Seawolves.org", one of the biggest virtual online community of it´s time.

--
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Thanks to this game, at 4 years old I already knew how to torpedo a destroyer![:D]

Attachments
storm2.jpg
storm2.jpg (94.61 KiB) Viewed 203 times
Rising-Sun

Post by Rising-Sun »

ORIGINAL: rico21

When I think the best game about the pacific war was done by Russians for 3 year old kids.[:D]

rico21, I have a mod for that...
https://www.facebook.com/Pacific-Storm- ... r_activity
been working on this mod for like two or three years. Plus WDJ on Steam got a new build, but wasn't sure if it was stable or not.

The tricky parts is the ship package, I didn't do them and wasn't fully tested.

Also wish someone redo this and make it more realistic compare to Great Naval Battles Vol 3, etc.

Many wanted me to redo it or make a better one, but I got burn out working on it.
rico21

Post by rico21 »

Thank you but this game is too time consuming, I can not spend the hundreds of amazing hours that I put to sink the Yamato.[;)]

Return to “General Discussion”