Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mild Blizzard tips for beginner

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Mild Blizzard tips for beginner Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mild Blizzard tips for beginner - 10/5/2017 6:58:37 AM   
Kantti

Hi,

I am playing my first game vs. human as a German. I have fared well (Leningrad + Moscow taken, no luck with Rostov or Voronezh). As there have been plenty of changes to blizzard mechanics, I am wondering if someone here could give some rules of thumb on how to conduct German play during mild blizzard.

Some questions that have been especially troublesome:

1) Support units. Should they be sent to OKH (and OKH to Germany) for the Blizzard or do they contribute so much to battles during blizzard that they should be kept at corps HQ's?

2) Aircrafts: I have been led to believe that there is no reason to keep aircraft suffering from blizzard. Is it enough to just send air groups to National reserve (and leave airfields to cities far behind the front) or should also the airfields be evacuated to Germany.

3) Does Mild Blizzard still affect morale so badly that morale 90 inf divisions should be evacuated to have them ready for summer 1942? That would mean approx I and II corps. Does same hold true for Panzer korps or should they be kept as local reserves in Stalino, Kharkov, Kursk and Moscow? I know Moscow-region gives me plenty of hexes that protects units from winter effect, but I am wondering if it will be too hard to relocate them from Moscow when summer comes (I still don't have any good north-south rail-line, altough creating one will be top priority during blizzard). If I don't have enough rail capacity to evacuate I and II inf corps and multiple panzer korpses which one should be prioritized?

4) As I don't have client at hand right now, could you remind me which Pz. Divisions are withdrawing early so I can use them deliberately during Blizzard.

Thanks for any tips! I have somehow managed to get to winter turns (after botching mud as I was too engaged even in the last clear turn), but looming Blizzard feels baffling.
Post #: 1
RE: Mild Blizzard tips for beginner - 10/5/2017 9:36:12 AM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kantti
2) Aircrafts: I have been led to believe that there is no reason to keep aircraft suffering from blizzard. Is it enough to just send air groups to National reserve (and leave airfields to cities far behind the front) or should also the airfields be evacuated to Germany.

As urban, city and 4 population towns can, within given limits, provide blizzard cover just as well as going to Germany, and as you have lots of them, there is probably no need to have the extra transport costs/ fatigue etc of moving them there. Perhaps you should only think of getting them to such places on the rail network alone.

quote:

If I don't have enough rail capacity to evacuate I and II inf corps and multiple panzer korpses which one should be prioritized?

As mentioned above cities, urban hexes can provide winter quarters just as well as Germany. So you can leave them there as local reserves AND protect them from winter effects AND release summer garrisons to other duties such as digging. However in terms of priority chose the panzers. In addition to morale effects there are extra damaged AFV effects in the weather rules, for mud as well as blizzard. So extra reason to get panzers out (but less so motorised infantry)

quote:

4) As I don't have client at hand right now, could you remind me which Pz. Divisions are withdrawing early so I can use them deliberately during Blizzard.

10Pz, Das Reich, LAH, 900 Lehr

(in reply to Kantti)
Post #: 2
RE: Mild Blizzard tips for beginner - 10/5/2017 9:38:13 AM   
Stelteck

Are you sûre the "cover rules" is not only for true blizzard ?

I thought mild winter was much more straighforward, without morale looses or much more attrition. (CV penalty with simple calculation and that's all).

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 3
RE: Mild Blizzard tips for beginner - 10/5/2017 9:45:07 AM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: Stelteck

Are you sûre the "cover rules" is not only for true blizzard ?

I thought mild winter was much more straighforward, without morale looses or much more attrition. (CV penalty with simple calculation and that's all).

If the question is for me no I am not sure and what I wrote is only for full blizzard. Never really got to a mild blizzard so will leave that for others - if Stelteck thinks so that is certainly right!

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 4
RE: Mild Blizzard tips for beginner - 10/5/2017 9:47:41 AM   
Stelteck

i'am not sure too. I hope to get the answer like anyone else.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 5
RE: Mild Blizzard tips for beginner - 10/5/2017 10:50:25 AM   
Kantti

Just wondering that ain't there also morale loss in mild blizzard? And does urban hexes/cities etc. provide cover for that also or only for attrition (and some cv minuses as they provide bonus for cv-calculation). I am mostly concerned about morale losses, attrition comes second and cv is my last concern.

(in reply to Stelteck)
Post #: 6
RE: Mild Blizzard tips for beginner - 10/5/2017 10:58:39 AM   
Telemecus

quote:

Just wondering that ain't there also morale loss in mild blizzard? And does urban hexes/cities etc. provide cover for that also

I cannot say what is the morale loss for mild blizzard. But if there is morale loss urban hexes will protect 3 units stacked in them from such morale loss, city hexes will protect 2 units from morale loss, and towns with population 4 or more will protect one unit from morale loss.

(in reply to Kantti)
Post #: 7
RE: Mild Blizzard tips for beginner - 10/5/2017 1:08:54 PM   
Nix77

Morale loss for reduced blizzard is 1 morale / turn if over 60 morale, in the blizzard zone and not in town/city/urban cover.

Normal blizzard has the additional 1pt loss if axis unit is attacked at odds of greater than 1:2.

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> Mild Blizzard tips for beginner Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI