Patch for Synchronicity Bug?

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Rusty1961

Patch for Synchronicity Bug?

Post by Rusty1961 »

Very frustrating. I watched the replay of the turn- a rather slow, uneventful turn-then while taking my turn I notice damage to ship that shouldn'thave any so I looked at the combat report. Nothing like the combat report I watched.

Nothing.

So I don't know what is the truth here. Did the Japanese player see the actual report as it was in totality and I see nothing near what happened? Is my combat report I read when I open my turn the truth, or is there fog of war?

All I know was my replay didn't have 10% of what appeared to have happened during the combat phase.

Any chance this bug gets fixed?
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
IdahoNYer

RE: Patch for Synchronicity Bug?

Post by IdahoNYer »

No patch that I'm aware of. Been dealing with it since L_S_T and I started our PBEM a few years ago. Happens every so often.

Best solution we've come up with is that the Jpn player sends not only the two save files, but also both combat report files. After you go through the replay, replace the combat report files and you have "the truth". Also helps if you're using tracker or combat reporter - replace those files before you run those utility programs.
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I think it helps if the Japanese player does not use the ESC key to speed up combat, but uses the Z key instead.
Rusty1961

Post by Rusty1961 »

what is the difference in Z key vs. ESC?
God made man, but Sam Colt made them equal.
Chris21wen

Post by Chris21wen »

If it's just two ships in the same TF then it's possibly ship collision.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: Chris H

If it's just two ships in the same TF then it's possibly ship collision.
+1.
Look in the ops report for a line about collision, grounding, attack by search aircraft, etc.
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
crsutton

Post by crsutton »

Happens once in a while. Usually when a big fight takes place. Annoying for the Allied player but rare enough to now be a game breaker. Don' plan on seeing a fix. If it could have been fixed it would have by now.
I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Allied players need to stop caving on this and DEMAND the results they see.

What you all keep referring to as a 'replay' is nothing of the kind.

It's supposed to be a RECORDING of the actual events as they transpired which means that it is NOT the recording that is wrong, but rather the saved game file the Japanese players foists on the Allied player while demanding he accept a corrupted save file and discard the recording of actual events.
Hans

Encircled

Post by Encircled »

It can be annoying, but as long as you have the combat report and the next turn you can check what actually happens.

Finding out I'd lost 4 carrier in exchange for one bomb hit after the replay came across as pretty even was a knock, but it shouldn't be a game ender if we are being perfectly honest.
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

I think it helps if the Japanese player does not use the ESC key to speed up combat, but uses the Z key instead.
ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

what is the difference in Z key vs. ESC?

There isn't one, practically speaking.
ORIGINAL: crsutton

Happens once in a while. Usually when a big fight takes place. Annoying for the Allied player but rare enough to now be a game breaker. Don' plan on seeing a fix. If it could have been fixed it would have by now.

My personal theory is that it's related to (carrier) CAP. I've only had sync bugs occur beginning with either:

1) immediately in the turn (which will be a ship/TF because that's the first thing that can happen), potentially related to the "air superiority" calculation that is performed as the replay is generated

2) an air attack on a TF

ORIGINAL: HansBolter

It's supposed to be a RECORDING of the actual events as they transpired which means that it is NOT the recording that is wrong, but rather the saved game file the Japanese players foists on the Allied player while demanding he accept a corrupted save file and discard the recording of actual events.

This is 100% backwards.

The WRONG file is the "results" that the Allied player sees in the incorrect replay. It is the replay that is incorrect and the turn file that is correct; this is why there was a change some time ago to put the 100% Real Actually Happened combatreport.txt into the orders turn file itself.

The only exception to this is if the Japanese player does not perform the beta patch update in the correct order (update first and then generating the replay with the new version, instead of with the old version as is proper).
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

You didn't grasp the point I was trying to make.

The saved game isn't created until after the turn execution is complete.

If the Japanese player observes a turn execution that matches the saved game and combat report generated at the end of the turn execution and then a so called 'replay' is created that doesn't match any of the first three events than the 'replay' is NOT the recording it is supposed to be.

Therein lies the root of the problem.

If the recording of the turn execution was exactly that instead of the 'replay' that it appears to be instead none of this would be occurring.

Why does the game generate a false replay instead of an actual recording?

This is one of the main reasons that I don't play PBEM.

I don't want to watch a replay, I want to watch the turn execute and only Japanese players get that honor in PBEM games.

Allied players are second class citizens in PBEM.
Hans

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

That's not the way it works. A recording would be huge. Massive. Keep in mind all the technology compromises that had to be made in making the game. In fact the replay mechanism was in the first version - actually in all the prior work for more than a decade that led up to the first WITP version published in 2004.

Because of the size of a recording (how fast was your internet access in 2004?) and how impractical that would be to play by email they implemented a replay. The game starts with a seed for a random (or pseudo-random) number and all chance events through the game are derived from that, in order one after the other. The turn file contains the then current state of that chain of random numbers. The Japan player sees the turn resolution, which starts with the (then) current random number.

The replay which the Allied player sees starts with the very same random number that the turn resolution started with and - because of that - all the random events are supposed to come out the same (they follow the same chain of random numbers). If the code were perfect that would work every time. But code is rarely perfect, and this code has to contend with things like outside interruptions in addition to the likelihood that the code contains its own bugs.

There used to be a lot of sync bugs but they did find and did eliminate almost all of them. We are left with some. That is not desirable but over the course of all the turns PBM players flip to each other they are rare. When it happens to me I don't like it any more than you do, but before Michael had to bow out from maintenance he spent significant labor looking for the remaining sync bug(s) and could not find the cause(s).

BTW, if you go through the explanation I gave above you will notice one saving grace in the situation. The (then current) random number that turn resolution starts from is the same random number that the replay starts from. That means that each replay starts in sync with the turn resolution - each sync bug occurrence is inherently a one-turn event. There are times when a sync bugs happens to a player twice in a row and they might even be caused by the same (as yet unidentified) bug, but they are separate events.
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Thanks for the succinct explanation of how the Allied player got screwed from the very beginning.

I want to watch the turn execution.

That's why I won't play PBEM as Allies.

Furthermore, if the game is executing two different turns for two different players why shouldn't the Allied player have just as much right to demand that the turn he witnessed be the one the game moves forward with?

Why do the Japanese players get preferential treatment?
Hans

witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Go spend some time with Jojo. Hugs are recommended, maybe your hand on his side while he sleeps. [:)]

Re-read my explanation again tomorrow. They did the best they could to show the Allied player the exact same thing the Japan player sees. It works about or greater than 99% of the time. But they are not magicians and that last fraction of a percent has proven elusive. Still the best game in town. [8D]
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

Sound advice.

I'll never dispute your last sentence.

And BTW Jojo is a female.
Hans

Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

You didn't grasp the point I was trying to make.

The saved game isn't created until after the turn execution is complete.

If the Japanese player observes a turn execution that matches the saved game and combat report generated at the end of the turn execution and then a so called 'replay' is created that doesn't match any of the first three events than the 'replay' is NOT the recording it is supposed to be.

Therein lies the root of the problem.

If the recording of the turn execution was exactly that instead of the 'replay' that it appears to be instead none of this would be occurring.

Why does the game generate a false replay instead of an actual recording?

This is one of the main reasons that I don't play PBEM.

I don't want to watch a replay, I want to watch the turn execute and only Japanese players get that honor in PBEM games.

Allied players are second class citizens in PBEM.

No, I grasped the point you were making - but you aren't grasping how PBEM turns actually work.

The Allied replay shows different things to the Allied player than the Japanese replay shows to the Japanese player. The replay IS watching the turn execute. Sometimes it bugs out and you have to look at the combatreport.txt that is within the orders file. The orders file is always, always, always 100% correct.

I've played 4000+ turns in PBEM and had less than 10 sync bugs.

witpqs is correct as well - it's a problem somewhere with the random number seed being used in the turn (random numbers for computers are drawn from a giant table of randomized numbers; the seed is the number it starts on, e.g. a seed of 10 is the 10th number in the table).
Lokasenna

Post by Lokasenna »

Thanks for the succinct explanation of how the Allied player got screwed from the very beginning.

I want to watch the turn execution.

That's why I won't play PBEM as Allies.

Furthermore, if the game is executing two different turns for two different players why shouldn't the Allied player have just as much right to demand that the turn he witnessed be the one the game moves forward with?

It's one turn with two replays, because there are two players playing opposing sides that can't see everything the other side is doing.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Sound advice.

I'll never dispute your last sentence.

And BTW Jojo is a female.
Oh, she would never let me hear the end of that!
modrow

Post by modrow »

Based on my understanding of the effect (which may not be 100% correct), my guess would be because that is the conclusion you want to reach.

I want to stress that really no offense is intended with that remark.

You are correct in that the Allied player loses information from the combat animation files, which can be essential especially in naval combat and is at least nice to have in a2a combat. But the in-game combat report file you obtain from the game file is correct according to my experience, so on the combat report level you get the right information.

On the other hand, however, it's not just the results that change but entirely different battles can occur. So you gain additional intel on local force distribution which the IJ player never knows you have gained. Also, especially for land combat it can be very instructive to see the bandwidth of results of two executions of the same ground battle for making calls how to continue that battle.

So Allied player loses naval and a2a info, but gains intel on asset allocation/distribution and info on ground combat.

Just my 2cts.

Hartwig
HansBolter

Post by HansBolter »

So you are saying the Allies don't get as much of the short end of the stick in this deal as I have portrayed?

I can accept that.

In case you haven't been around long enough or regularly enough to notice, I often take extreme positions for the sake of stimulating debate.
Hans

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”