Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What Happens to PACT if Germany Invades Neutral Baltic States?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> What Happens to PACT if Germany Invades Neutral Baltic States? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What Happens to PACT if Germany Invades Neutral Baltic ... - 10/4/2017 12:07:59 AM   
rkr1958

Situation.

USSR claims Eastern Poland but not the Baltic States during the Sep/Oct 1939 turn. I assume Germany, if they wished, could DOW and take control of the Baltic States. However, what would this do to the Nazi-Soviet Pact?

Ronnie
Post #: 1
RE: What Happens to PACT if Germany Invades Neutral Bal... - 10/4/2017 12:35:30 AM   
davidachamberlain

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

Situation.

USSR claims Eastern Poland but not the Baltic States during the Sep/Oct 1939 turn. I assume Germany, if they wished, could DOW and take control of the Baltic States. However, what would this do to the Nazi-Soviet Pact?

USSR can take them even as early as Eastern Poland. There is a US entry roll though. Germany could DOW on them anytime up until USSR does, so it is usually a good idea to do it soon as long as US entry does not risk a problem.

Germany could not do any DOW at the start since Poland is automatic. Also, as soon as Germany does that, USSR can break the Neutrality pact. So, that might not be a good idea unless Germany is planning to go to war with Russia to start with.

Dave

< Message edited by davidachamberlain -- 10/4/2017 12:48:29 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 2
RE: What Happens to PACT if Germany Invades Neutral Bal... - 10/4/2017 8:15:44 AM   
Joseignacio

Or the USSR could decide to keep the N-S pact (maybe it's too early to break it and declare war) but the the commercial agreement would vary:

quote:

Germany-USSR
USSR and Germany start the 1939 scenario with a trade agreement in place to exchange German build points for Soviet resources.
In each turn, Germany must lend lease 2 build points to the USSR while the USSR must supply Germany with 7 resources (2 of them must be oil). These numbers can change if circumstances vary. For each of:
ï Finland;
ï Latvia;
ï Estonia;
ï Lithuania;

ï Bulgaria;
ï Hungary;
ï Rumania; and
ï Turkey,
that an Axis major power either declares war on or aligns with (see 9.7, 9.8 and 19), reduce the number of resources the USSR must supply by 1 (minimum 0). Reduce the ordinary resources before you reduce any oil resources.

If the GE player, as many times happens fairly early in the game, has allied BU and HU, the russian player would gie 2 (7-5) resources in exchange for 2 BP.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 10/4/2017 8:16:50 AM >

(in reply to davidachamberlain)
Post #: 3
RE: What Happens to PACT if Germany Invades Neutral Bal... - 10/4/2017 10:58:42 AM   
Dabrion

I would advice against DOWs on the Baltic's in '39, just because it would give USE3 rolls on the very good '39 USE chit pool. If Russia will contest the Pact is not possible to say in '39 anyways..

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 4
RE: What Happens to PACT if Germany Invades Neutral Bal... - 10/4/2017 12:47:03 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

Situation.

RAW:

If a German controlled unit enters any hex in Estonia, Latvia,
Lithuania or Turkey or declares war on any of these countries, then the
Soviet player can break the Nazi-Soviet pact during any Allied
declaration of war step. Setting up the Baltic States’ convs is not
considered entering a hex in these countries.

Peter

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 5
RE: What Happens to PACT if Germany Invades Neutral Bal... - 10/5/2017 9:04:23 PM   
RFalvo69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseignacio

Or the USSR could decide to keep the N-S pact (maybe it's too early to break it and declare war) but the the commercial agreement would vary:

quote:

Germany-USSR
USSR and Germany start the 1939 scenario with a trade agreement in place to exchange German build points for Soviet resources.
In each turn, Germany must lend lease 2 build points to the USSR while the USSR must supply Germany with 7 resources (2 of them must be oil). These numbers can change if circumstances vary. For each of:
ï Finland;
ï Latvia;
ï Estonia;
ï Lithuania;

ï Bulgaria;
ï Hungary;
ï Rumania; and
ï Turkey,
that an Axis major power either declares war on or aligns with (see 9.7, 9.8 and 19), reduce the number of resources the USSR must supply by 1 (minimum 0). Reduce the ordinary resources before you reduce any oil resources.

If the GE player, as many times happens fairly early in the game, has allied BU and HU, the russian player would gie 2 (7-5) resources in exchange for 2 BP.

Wouldn't that be 7 -Hungary -Bulgaria = 5 resources for two BP? (3 resources and 2 oil)?

Edit
: Sorry, you obviously meant Hungary, Bulgaria plus the three Baltic States. Ignore my question

< Message edited by RFalvo69 -- 10/5/2017 9:09:25 PM >

"Yes darling, I served in the Navy for eight years. I was a cook..."
"Oh dad... so you were a God-damned cook?"

(My 10 years old daughter after watching "The Hunt for Red October")

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 6
RE: What Happens to PACT if Germany Invades Neutral Bal... - 10/5/2017 9:07:32 PM   
Dabrion

I guess you would do at least one of Bessarabia or Finland too.

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to RFalvo69)
Post #: 7
RE: What Happens to PACT if Germany Invades Neutral Bal... - 10/6/2017 7:16:07 AM   
Joseignacio

True enough as well. So in this case it could get to 2 BP sent from GE in exchange of 1 to 0 USSR resources

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 10/6/2017 7:18:51 AM >

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 8
RE: What Happens to PACT if Germany Invades Neutral Bal... - 10/8/2017 6:01:48 PM   
ACMW

But not necessary to declare war on all 3, is it? The peace loving Lithuanians and Latvians could be left alone, if you play SCS transports and Divs, and the warmongering Estonians attacked. Assuming GER does this in SO39 & plans Barbarossa for MA 41 and that the USSR does not break the pact, then this means a closer start line to Leningrad at the cost of 3 INFs (9BPs). Maybe still not that attractive, particularly given Estonia's tight border with Russia. But then, maybe it's the Latvians that need smiting. Of course, it is a bit of a fiddle-faddle taking combineds to ship the forces in to exploit it,

Cheers

Adrian

The louder he talked of his honor, the faster we counted our spoons. (Emerson)

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> What Happens to PACT if Germany Invades Neutral Baltic States? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI