British reinforcements in Egypt

Fury Games has now signed with Matrix Games, and we are working together on the next Strategic Command. Will use the Slitherine PBEM++ server for asynchronous multi-player.

Moderators: MOD_Strategic_Command_3, Fury Software

Leadwieght

British reinforcements in Egypt

Post by Leadwieght »

Hi,
Just two quick questions:
1.The supporting units that Britain gets in Egypt (Recon, Tac Air, Fighter, Field Artillery, Anti-tank):
Will they arrive ONLY if Axis units approach Alexandria ?
In other words, if the Allied player keeps the Axis away from Egypt, he will NOT get these units? Or will they eventually appear regardless?

2. The 10th Army, according to the Manual is supposed to appear "From May 1941, after the pro-Axis coup in Iraq,"
However, in a couple of 1.08 PBEM games recently, it has failed to appear. Playing as the Allies, I hold Jerusalem, the pro-Axis coup has happened, it's long past May 1941, and the 10th Army has not shown up.

Is the Manual correct? Are there other conditions not mentioned? Is this situation the result of updates?

Thanks to anyone who can clarify these points for me.

LW
BillRunacre

RE: British reinforcements in Egypt

Post by BillRunacre »

Hi Leadwieght

I've checked the scripts and:

1. the trigger for these forces deploying is that from the 1st January 1940 there is an Axis unit within 7 hexes of El Alamein. If that trigger isn't satisfied by the 1st February 1941 then these units will deploy anyway.

2. 10th Army has a 25% chance per turn of forming from 1st May 1941 if there is an Axis unit within 5-6 hexes of Alexandria. If these triggers aren't reached by the 1st January 1942 then it will definitely form at that point.

Bill
Follow us on Twitter: https://twitter.com/FurySoftware

We're also on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/FurySoftware/
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

Thanks, I was wondering the same myself...
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
Leadwieght

Post by Leadwieght »

Hi Bill

Thanks for the information. In one of my games--Challenge# 84868, version 1.08--it's December 1941. I have managed to drive the Italians and DAK completely out of Libya, without them ever getting near El Alamein or Alexandria. However, I have not yet received any of the British units in Egypt. The 10th Army also hasn't shown up either, but that is consistent with the course of this particular game and your description of the triggers. I'll be curious to see if it appears in January 1942.

LW
Leadwieght

Post by Leadwieght »

Just a followup: the Egyptian units and the 10th Army all showed up in January 1942.
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Thanks, that's good to hear. [:)]

Leadwieght

Post by Leadwieght »

So, not February 1941, but January 1942 in the event that Axis movements never trigger them?

And incidentally, in another game, playing as the Allies, French had not surrendered in August 1940 and still held Algiers, but the French Armee d'Afrique did not appear, despite what the manual says. A couple of turns later, the Germans took Paris and refused Vichy, and only then did the Army (and the HQ and air units) appear at Algiers
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

ORIGINAL: Leadwieght

So, not February 1941, but January 1942 in the event that Axis movements never trigger them?

Hi Leadwieght

10th Army's failsafe date is January 1942, but the units that mobilize in Egpyt have a failsafe date of the 1st February 1941.

From looking again at the latter's script I cannot see any reason why it shouldn't have fired.

I would need a save turn showing that no British units deployed in Egypt before January 1942 as it would need investigating if you can?
And incidentally, in another game, playing as the Allies, French had not surrendered in August 1940 and still held Algiers, but the French Armee d'Afrique did not appear, despite what the manual says. A couple of turns later, the Germans took Paris and refused Vichy, and only then did the Army (and the HQ and air units) appear at Algiers

You are right, the French unit will only appear there after France surrenders, my mistake.

Bill

Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Bill, are you able to examine saves in pbem games? If so in my pbem game (harrybanana, hartmann301) it is now October 1941 and the British reinforcements have not arrived. Also in this game the US just entered the War. Prior to their entry they were shipping 80 MPPs per turn to Russia via Vladivostok. Now that they are in the War they are shipping 80 MPPS to Russia via Persia, but the Vladivostok MPPs have stopped. My reading of the Rules is that these MPPs continued to be shipped even after US entry.
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Ok forget what I said about the US not sending MPPs to Russia via Vladivostok. That was apparently just a one time thing as they flowed on my next turn. But it is now November 1941 and still no British Reinforcements in North Africa. Is this being fixed or was it decided that getting them in January 42 (rather than February 41) is good enough?
Robert Harris
OxfordGuy3

Post by OxfordGuy3 »

ORIGINAL: Harrybanana

Ok forget what I said about the US not sending MPPs to Russia via Vladivostok. That was apparently just a one time thing as they flowed on my next turn. But it is now November 1941 and still no British Reinforcements in North Africa. Is this being fixed or was it decided that getting them in January 42 (rather than February 41) is good enough?

Bit too late to be useful, considering when the Afrika Korps arrive...
"The object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his" - George S. Patton
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

Hi

The failsafe date remains at the 1st February 1941.

I've downloaded your latest save and can see the various British "Desert" units are serving in Libya, so they must have arrived but as the turn is from May 1942 I cannot see when they actually arrived.

Can you remember when they arrived?

Thanks

Bill

Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

ORIGINAL: Bill Runacre

Hi

The failsafe date remains at the 1st February 1941.

I've downloaded your latest save and can see the various British "Desert" units are serving in Libya, so they must have arrived but as the turn is from May 1942 I cannot see when they actually arrived.

Can you remember when they arrived?

Thanks

Bill

In both my pbem games (and every other game I have played where the Axis don't get close to Alexandria) they arrived in January 42. This is of course the same turn when the 10th Army arrives as well.
Robert Harris
Zecke

Post by Zecke »

ORIGINAL: Bill Runacre

Hi Leadwieght

I've checked the scripts and:

1. the trigger for these forces deploying is that from the 1st January 1940 there is an Axis unit within 7 hexes of El Alamein. If that trigger isn't satisfied by the 1st February 1941 then these units will deploy anyway.

2. 10th Army has a 25% chance per turn of forming from 1st May 1941 if there is an Axis unit within 5-6 hexes of Alexandria. If these triggers aren't reached by the 1st January 1942 then it will definitely form at that point.

Bill

BILL RUNACRE..Thx..learning
Epsilon Eridani

Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Bill,

It is easy enough (though very boring and time consuming) to replicate this "bug". Just start a hot seat game and play it through (without moving any units) to the 1st Allied Turn after February 1,1941. In this case the Allies do not get a turn in February 1941 and their first turn after February 1, 1941 is March 3, 1941.I assure you that the UK reinforcements do not arrive on or before this turn.

I can send you the saves I made of the German February 10, 1941 and Allied March 3 1941 turns if you wish. You just have to let me know where to email them to.
Robert Harris
Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

I continued on with my hotseat test game to see when the UK reinforcements would arrive in Egypt. Sure enough they arrived on the first Allied turn of January 1942 (along with 10th Army). Bill, I can send you these saves as well if you want.
Robert Harris
BillRunacre

Post by BillRunacre »

I've realised now why I've been so confused about this, and it's because this has been fixed in beta but only today is it on general release. Even if you were playing a beta version, the fix will only apply to games started after the fix was introduced.

I'd been checking the files my side but of course they wouldn't have reflected those you were playing with as I implemented the fix a little while back.

Sorry for the frustration caused by the issue and rest assured that those forces in Egypt will be mobilizing by February 1941 at the latest in future games started with v1.10. [:)]

Bill

Harrybanana

Post by Harrybanana »

Thanks Bill.
Robert Harris

Return to “Strategic Command WWII War in Europe”