Airbase management

Share your gameplay tips, secret tactics and fabulous strategies with fellow gamers here.

Moderators: Joel Billings, Sabre21

SparkleyTits

Airbase management

Post by SparkleyTits »

Quick question of min maxing the airforce please peeps

I have looked in the manual and found that Soviets can equip 40 maximum air regiments in 1941 but was unsure if that was total planes flying in missions or total ready planes that I can attach or perhaps it is yet another mechanic I am in need or understanding properly so I find myself in need of your much vaunted wisdom yet again to help clear up my understanding

Is there a limit to how many subordinate airbases are allowed to be under the command of a Soviet airbase HQ before penalties are applied and if so how many?

For example if I attach 30 airbases under western air command with each airbases attaching the maximum of 9 types of aircraft will I be penalised?

Thanks alot!
Dinglir

RE: Airbase management

Post by Dinglir »

ORIGINAL: SparkleyTits
Is there a limit to how many subordinate airbases are allowed to be under the command of a Soviet airbase HQ before penalties are applied and if so how many?

I have never really had a problem with this, mainly because other game mechanics steps in and makes me limit the number of Air Groups I have under one Front Command.

First, there is a limit to how many aircraft will actually fly a given mission. It appear that once you send about 400 aircraft into a mission, the system itself will prevent many more aircraft from participating (regardless of the actual number you sent). Personally, I think game mechanics should also limit the number of potential fighter bombers and fighters to around 200, but it does not.

Second, remember that repairing aircraft depends on the number of Support squads on the Airfield HQ's, so having 50+ Air Groups with half the planes damaged under one Command might ot be a good idea.

Third, when manually selecting aircraft for a mission, you only have a limited space available on the selection screen. If you have a plethora of Air Groups available, you might not even be able to select the ones you want.

Fourth, the aircraft of one Front Command will only fly in support of that particular Front command. So if you stack all available aircraft at one Front, chances are that a lot of them will never get to fly. Further, a lot of ground combats will never get any support.
To be is to do -- Socrates
To do is to be -- Jean-Paul Sartre
Do be do be do -- Frank Sinatra
SparkleyTits

Post by SparkleyTits »

Thanks alot Dinglr your indepth answer is exactly what the doctor ordered and is much appreciated!

Thanks buddy!
M60A3TTS

Post by M60A3TTS »

ORIGINAL: Dinglir
Second, remember that repairing aircraft depends on the number of Support squads on the Airfield HQ's, so having 50+ Air Groups with half the planes damaged under one Command might ot be a good idea.

I don't believe that the HQ such as an air command or air army has an impact on this. It is the support squads on the actual airbase itself.

v1.05.59 - January 31, 2012
Air HQ will share their support for ground elements at air bases under their control. Note: Air HQs have never provided support for aircraft at airbases under their control.
Nix77

Post by Nix77 »

ORIGINAL: M60A3TTS

ORIGINAL: Dinglir

I don't believe that the HQ such as an air command or air army has an impact on this. It is the support squads on the actual airbase itself.

v1.05.59 - January 31, 2012
Air HQ will share their support for ground elements at air bases under their control. Note: Air HQs have never provided support for aircraft at airbases under their control.

That's correct, but anyway having too many airbases can be a drain for the general manpower supply, since they require quite many squads to operate, around 1/5th of a rifle division. Supports squads are bigger than rifle squads, so they are a big manpower drain. Air support squads have only 10 men compared to 20 in a normal general support squad, but that's still 1 rifle squad away from the pool.

Return to “The War Room”