Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Betty night attacks

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Betty night attacks Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Betty night attacks - 9/17/2017 8:13:04 PM   
Gewehr1943

Will Bettys launch night torpedo attacks in full moonlight or under any conditions?
Post #: 1
RE: Betty night attacks - 9/17/2017 8:47:42 PM   
BBfanboy

There are a lot of factors that influence this.

1. the detection level on the target. No detection of the TF = no attack. And note that detection is set to 0 at the beginning of each phase so you need night search to find the TF again before your unit will attack.
2. weather . Torpedo bombers have a heavy load and will often not take off unless the weather if better than average.
3. range - the max range carrying a torpedo or two is "normal range" or even less.
4. leaders - the squadron leader must be aggressive enough and (I think) have a good "Inspiration" number
5. experience - I forget the exact rule but units must have high enough experience level to carry out a night torpedo attack
6. sake level ! Flying low level at night with that much explosive? - Top my sake level up!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Gewehr1943)
Post #: 2
RE: Betty night attacks - 9/17/2017 9:28:51 PM   
Gewehr1943

OK, so I guess it's possible. I have all of the pre-reqs you've mentioned it seems. It was 100% moonlight and clear weather. I believe the enemy ships are moving in very small TF's which always seems to avoid detection. Great info, Thanks!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 3
RE: Betty night attacks - 9/17/2017 10:09:06 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

There are a lot of factors that influence this.

1. the detection level on the target. No detection of the TF = no attack. And note that detection is set to 0 at the beginning of each phase so you need night search to find the TF again before your unit will attack.
2. weather . Torpedo bombers have a heavy load and will often not take off unless the weather if better than average.
3. range - the max range carrying a torpedo or two is "normal range" or even less.
4. leaders - the squadron leader must be aggressive enough and (I think) have a good "Inspiration" number
5. experience - I forget the exact rule but units must have high enough experience level to carry out a night torpedo attack
6. sake level ! Flying low level at night with that much explosive? - Top my sake level up!

Played two campaigns and once in a very rare while they scored a hit. Better to use high skilled Emilys and Mavis instead. They carry two torpedoes and increase your chance for a hit. Either way you won't get much out of it.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 4
RE: Betty night attacks - 9/18/2017 4:40:45 AM   
Rusty1961

Better to use the Mavis and Emily as night searchers to locate the target for the Betties.

Best pilots go to night attackers and best commanders.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 5
RE: Betty night attacks - 9/18/2017 5:08:32 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rusty1961

Better to use the Mavis and Emily as night searchers to locate the target for the Betties.

Best pilots go to night attackers and best commanders.

Nope, I will opt for two torpedoes over one anytime. Put the Mavis and Emilys on night attack with 20% search and no arcs. It does help to have dedicated searchers as well. I do this with Catalinas as the Allied player. Early war I am using cats to train American torpedo skills anyways (there is no other choice). No reason the Japanese players cannot keep a couple of dedicated highly trained float patrol units for night naval. But as I said, results are still going to be thin-as they should be. Patrols for me are primarily for patrolling.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to Rusty1961)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> Betty night attacks Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI