No scenarios after reinstall

Post bug reports and ask for help with other issues here.

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

jgsIII

No scenarios after reinstall

Post by jgsIII »

Nightmare scenario - hard drive goes belly up containing your WitP-AE

I have copies of the original install and installed on new hard drive. I then installed the v1124 patch. Program started fine but no scenarios or descriptions show up on scenario selection page. I can randomly click on the empty box and see a scenario is selected.

Did complete uninstall wondering if file restore from crash and install go confused.

Installed just original in case it was patch that was problem but still see same results.

Any suggestions how to get my beloved game back functioning would be greatly appreciated. [:D]

Jim
InfiniteMonkey

RE: No scenarios after reinstall

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

Install updated scenario files from the ones in this thread:

tm.asp?m=3198064
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

It sounds like a graphics problem rather than a data problem.
The Moose
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

True. I did not notice the "I can randomly click on the empty box and see a scenario is selected. " part of his post.

What OS are your running on?
What command line switches are your using?
Are you using multiple monitors and moving the game from one monitor to another?

jgsIII

Post by jgsIII »

Windows 10 Home. I haven't set up switches yet. Display #1 is the laptop's built in running at 1920 x 1080 (native resolution is 3840 x 2160) scaled to 125%. Display #2 is an external monitor running at 1920 x 1080 (native) at 100% and is designated the main display. Displays are extended.

I think you guys are on the right track with graphics because I was running the game prior to my crash. I am going to try:
- making laptop main and run
- disconnect external and run
- try out some switches with both monitors active

Anything else I might try?
Bullwinkle58

Post by Bullwinkle58 »

My first thought was the graphics are displaying "to the right" of the screen as it were, but logically the data is there in the right box, so you can mouse over it. I suspect, hope, that setting the graphics x,y switches will haul the picture back onto the box.
The Moose
InfiniteMonkey

Post by InfiniteMonkey »

I had all kinds of problems with the app early on related to the fact I am using multiple displays and Windows 10. I do not move the game from one display to the other at all anymore because that seems to make the game unresponsive. Before I start the game, I set the display I want it to appear on to primary. If I am in game and want to switch, I save, quit and restart. Likewise, various switches ( the absence of them ) cause funny font / display issues. Finally, I saw issues when the display size got too tall or wide. I do not recall seeing the one you describe, but I think Bullwinkle58 was smart to note it was probably a display issue. I currently use multiple shortcuts depending upon how big I want the map to be (keep in mind I am running on a 4k display in windowed mode). Each one really only varies the pixel dimensions of the window:

"Small screen":
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -skipVideo -wd –cpu2 –multiaudio -px1920 -py1080 -altFont -dd_sw

"Big square":
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -skipVideo -wd –cpu2 –multiaudio -pxf1500 -pyf1500 -altFont -dd_sw

"Small Square":
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -skipVideo -wd –cpu2 –multiaudio -pxf1080 -pyf1080 -altFont -dd_sw -a$$um3

"Big Screen": (this is about as big as I was able to get the display size before I started seeing display bugs. Have never tested to see if that is a hardware or software limitation)
"C:\Matrix Games\War in the Pacific Admiral's Edition\War in the Pacific Admiral Edition.exe" -skipVideo -wd –cpu2 –multiaudio -pxf3000 -pyf1500 -altFont -dd_sw

Hope the above helps!
jgsIII

Post by jgsIII »

Thank you guys for your replies and sample shortcuts!

It looks like the switches are the key here. I confirmed for me that the program will only start on "Main display".

So I have a nice big Acer that will go up to 1920w x 1080h. If I use -wd -px1920 -py1080 in a shortcut, the program will fill the screen but some parts get truncated and screen movement does not function correctly. If I trim back the size to -wd -px1910 -py1074 (trying to maintain the 16:9 ration) hoping to fit the window into the screen size, the window shrinks significantly to a square but the window is complete and map scrolling is working.

Do you guys think if I keep lowering the window size parameters i will find my largest size window I can get on the screen or I will just constantly get what looks to maybe be the default windows dimensions?
BillBrown

Post by BillBrown »

I think if you change the the -px1910 -py1074 switches to -pxf1910 -pyf1074 it will work right. the f in these is undocumented, it allows non standard resolutions.
jgsIII

Post by jgsIII »

I did just that shrinking the size a little until I have a complete window. The undocumented "F" did help.

Thanks all of you guys for your time and efforts!
Jim

Return to “Tech Support”