Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/14/2017 12:58:32 AM   
BillBrown

Here is a link to Jocke's original AAR http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3861156&mpage=1&key=

I have everything loaded and running. Game, tracker, combat reporter. I do not have the history files for intel monkey to be effective.

Repeating from the original thread
A quick assessment is probable in order.
I have never played a PDU off game, never gave it a thought, so I will be
having to learn a lot in the coming days.

Anything I say here should not be construed as a criticism of Jocks play. We all play differently and have
different areas we stress. One case in point, I insure that I protect my C2 Cargo ships and make sure I convert
them to C2 Lassen AE's before March 1943. If you wait until after that you can not convert them. I do like having
lots AE's with a cargo space of 5400 available. And they are the ones that can do underway replenishment in 1945.
Unfortunately Jocke did not, so I will have a lot less that I would prefer.

Jocke did a good job of positioning supply and fuel to the front, but I need to see if I can increase the forward
stockpiles. The Allies can go through a huge amount of supply and fuel in the last 18 months of the war. It appears
that Jocke did not lose an excessive number of xAKs and his AO and TK loses were very reasonable. So the ground
work for Allied victory is in place.

Since we all play the game differently I will be taking a month or so to change the logistics. I need to get supply to Aden so it can be shipped to India and eventually to Burma. I also need to streamline the supply and fuel movements to Australia and the whole South Pacific Area. I think I might see about mounting some offensives into the Gilbert and Marshall Islands to widen my line of supply/communication.

Jocke had prepped a large number of units for an DEI invasion. I am not entirely sure I will continue with that, but I have not changed anything yet. Even if I do invade into the DEI, I will want to clean up the Papua New Guinea area along with New Britain. The Admiralty Islands will also need to be taken. Again, I do not want him to have bases that can interdict my supply convoys.

This is what that area looks like now.

Attachment (1)
Post #: 1
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/14/2017 1:11:26 AM   
Drakanel

Good luck. I will be following both AARs :)

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 2
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/14/2017 2:08:23 AM   
BillBrown

I didn't realize originally that actually Jocke only made 17 AKEs also, and no more can be made. This pretty much makes any
idea of an island hopping campaign impossible. I will have to wade in through the DEI so I can have multiple large ports available for rearm.

So, I will need to spend some time reorganizing my logistics and getting things ready for a major push into the DEI.
This will be much different than my normal inclination toward prosecuting the war.

(in reply to Drakanel)
Post #: 3
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/14/2017 2:27:14 AM   
Canoerebel

Bill, good luck and thanks for starting an AAR.

We're kinda doing the same thing, picking up games (you in late '43, me in early '44) against good opponents. It'll be fun to watch and compare notes.

It's very interesting to read your thoughts - your synopsis of what Jock hath bequeathed thee and how you plan to manage from here.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 4
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/14/2017 2:58:41 AM   
BillBrown

I can tell you that things look a bit out of wack. I would mostly attribute that to Jocke's lack of time to do turns as good as I am sure he can.
There are things that are just in the wrong place as far as I am concerned. Note also, that as I have stated everyone plays the game differently.
As you can by the following info screen, there is nothing big that stands out. Japan has a lot of bases controlled and that makes a large VP number,
but that will change in the coming months. Everything else looks fine and I am in no danger of defeat any time soon.

My bottom line assessment is that the position is playable. I will have to change my normal strategy and tactics to fit the position. There are some
things that I would have done much different but such is life, I will have to take the hand I am dealt.
I do plan on taking about 7 days or so to really get a grasp on the situation and will do more detailed updates on each area as I go.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 5
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/14/2017 4:52:00 AM   
witpqs

Bill,

Good luck! I walk in both AARs on this one so cannot make certain kinds of comments, but this has been one wild and woolly game so far!

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 6
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/14/2017 6:08:35 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: BillBrown

I didn't realize originally that actually Jocke only made 17 AKEs also, and no more can be made. This pretty much makes any
idea of an island hopping campaign impossible. I will have to wade in through the DEI so I can have multiple large ports available for rearm.

So, I will need to spend some time reorganizing my logistics and getting things ready for a major push into the DEI.
This will be much different than my normal inclination toward prosecuting the war.

There should be lots of AKE material still out there - just not the C2 Lassen class that make the 5400 ton AEs.
All the 4900 ton capacity xAKs should convert to 4200 ton or 3920 ton AKEs. The 5250 ton xAKs convert to 4900 ton AKE, IIRC.
I had so many of the latter that I made very few of the 4900 tonners into AKEs.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 7
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/14/2017 11:46:13 AM   
BillBrown

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

There should be lots of AKE material still out there - just not the C2 Lassen class that make the 5400 ton AEs.
All the 4900 ton capacity xAKs should convert to 4200 ton or 3920 ton AKEs. The 5250 ton xAKs convert to 4900 ton AKE, IIRC.
I had so many of the latter that I made very few of the 4900 tonners into AKEs.

It is too late, you have to convert them by 6/43. After they upgrade to the 6/43 version they no longer can be converted.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 8
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/14/2017 1:12:16 PM   
BBfanboy

Yikes! That is a big problem!
Guess you will just have to capture every big port on the board!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 9
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/14/2017 1:37:01 PM   
BillBrown

My first impression is that I will need to take Java, that will give me Batavia and Soerabaja as large ports.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 10
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/14/2017 2:04:29 PM   
Lovejoy

How are the Port and Airfield at Darwin? Is Darwin practicable as a forward base with which to advance on Java?

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 11
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/14/2017 9:30:09 PM   
pws1225

Good luck Bill, just not too much.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 12
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/15/2017 12:14:58 AM   
BillBrown

The turn has been sent. We will see what happens. My plan is to not do too much in the first 7-10 days. I will do a detailed analysis of each area of the
map, one per day. When you take over a game there are a lot of questions. The first is the context, what has happened, what areas were active, which areas
quiet, where is KB, where have sub activity taken place lately? It takes a few days of actual playing to get a good feel for this. The second is what has
the previous player been up to? There are TFs all over the map, where and why are they going? There are units( ground, air, naval) all over the map, what
purpose are they there? And of course the last, what preparations have been made and will I use them or go in a different direction. It is almost impossible
to wrap your head around all of the questions and get concrete answers.

I have some notes from Jocke, so I am not entirely in the dark. One area he admits he was lax on is pilot training and I agree. So one item on my long list
of things to do has a partial check mark next to it. TRAIN Pilots, lots of pilots. I have started and will continue to identify more training units and get them
up and running.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 13
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/15/2017 1:46:14 AM   
CaptBeefheart

Good luck. This should be an interesting ride for the peanut gallery.

Cheers,
CC

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 14
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/16/2017 3:56:47 PM   
BillBrown

December 9, 1943
Another turn has been done.

No big news, I sank an xAKL near Legaspi.

I looked over India and Burma in more depth this turn. A picture of the Burma area is included.
India itself is fine, a bit low on supply, but that is an area I have things moving to correct.

The red rounded square is the 32nd USA Inf Div and the 6th Australian Inf Div. They are trapped and
will be eliminated. I do not know how long they will last, but not too much longer.

The units in the Blue box are moving to the indicated hex to try and bring some order
to this region. I would like to clear that hex and start moving troops down the coast
road. Some other units are moving to establish a semblance of defensive line in the woods in
the North. I have a number of other units moving in India to Chittagong to start building up
an attack force. I have set up a huge ground bombing attack on the units in the light green box.
As far as I am concerned, all Japanese units in open terrain are subject to massive bombing raids.
As I go along I will switch some to airfield bombing to suppress the airfields, and burn his supply.

In most the rest of the map I am just doing a lot of logistic moving about. I need to distribute supply
and fuel to a number of bases, move a lot of LCUs about and get things in order for extensive offensive
operations in the near future. I am also looking to take some bases in the Pacific that have been bypassed.
I do not like having potential bombing bases too close to my line of supply movement. Plus I can look
to shorten the trips. More about that in a couple of turns.

BTW, there is basically no China.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by BillBrown -- 9/16/2017 4:00:06 PM >

(in reply to CaptBeefheart)
Post #: 15
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/16/2017 4:26:21 PM   
Canoerebel

You and I will have to be cautious about posting comparisons, because Obvert (Erik) can read this AAR and Lowpe (Jeff) can read my AAR.

But let me just say that the similarities are immense, the major difference being that your game is four months behind mine.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 16
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/16/2017 5:35:35 PM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

You and I will have to be cautious about posting comparisons, because Obvert (Erik) can read this AAR and Lowpe (Jeff) can read my AAR.

But let me just say that the similarities are immense, the major difference being that your game is four months behind mine.

No, really, I have no time to read AARs these days. No need for extra care. Post away.

Love that you're keeping the sheep alive, Bill.

< Message edited by obvert -- 9/16/2017 5:36:02 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 17
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/16/2017 8:04:51 PM   
Canoerebel

In my game with Erik, I have 42,000 AV 100% prepped for Nagasaki. They've all upgraded to '44 US Army and US Marine squads, even the Indian units. I have 62 carriers including 14 fleet carriers. All air squadrons are fully upgraded to Hellcats and Corsairs, even the CVEs. They armada is three hexes from Nagasaki and showing 0 detection. Three days ago SigInt reported 297 men at Nagasaki. One day ago, SigInt reported that the unit there is a tax police battalion 97% prepped for San Francisco.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 18
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/16/2017 8:22:30 PM   
Zorch

quote:

In my game with Erik, I have 42,000 AV 100% prepped for Nagasaki. They've all upgraded to '44 US Army and US Marine squads, even the Indian units. I have 62 carriers including 14 fleet carriers. All air squadrons are fully upgraded to Hellcats and Corsairs, even the CVEs. They armada is three hexes from Nagasaki and showing 0 detection. Three days ago SigInt reported 297 men at Nagasaki. One day ago, SigInt reported that the unit there is a tax police battalion 97% prepped for San Francisco.

No! Not the Tax Police!

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 19
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/16/2017 8:37:13 PM   
Lovejoy

quote:

Sometimes the best deception is to let your enemy see the truth, or the best way to create a large artificial reef. My memory is a bit iffy

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 20
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/17/2017 2:15:58 AM   
BillBrown

Here is a question for all of you Japanese players. It is mid December 1943 now, how many CVs can be accelerated to be out by now?
I have read the section in the manual about 4 times and my brain hurts.

I might have the answer, but it does seem strange. According to the in game ship sunk panel, Jocke sank the
CV Ikoma on Nov 14, 1943 with a Mk 14 torp. I do not know if that is true, but it would mean that Jeff has
advanced all of his CVs and all are on the map. It seems to be a lot of advancing to get a CV more than 18months early.

< Message edited by BillBrown -- 9/17/2017 2:27:58 AM >

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 21
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/17/2017 11:57:17 AM   
pws1225

By the end of '43, Japan can have all of their fleet carriers if the player is willing to spend the HI points. It sounds like Lowpe willing.

< Message edited by pws1225 -- 9/17/2017 12:01:53 PM >

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 22
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/17/2017 12:30:13 PM   
ny59giants_MatrixForum

I halt the building of subs to allow the acceleration of CVs and other large warships. A CV cost 90 points to build, but 270 point to accelerate. A subs cost about 33 points. So, by mid-44 nothing large than a CL should be joining the IJN.

How many subs have you lost?
How to you plan to deploy them?

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 23
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/17/2017 1:59:55 PM   
BillBrown

I count 45 of my subs lost, of all nationalities.
I think I will be trying to flood the Banda Sea and North of it. That will be the direction I will be taking to victory, so maybe I can find
something big there. Jocke seemed to think that KB might be in the Sorong area. At this time, I have no real idea where it might be.
There are a number of deep water choke points available around Ceram, and I think that could be the path that any reaction forces might take.
Other than that, most likely I will try to interdict any TFs moving into Truk.

(in reply to ny59giants_MatrixForum)
Post #: 24
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/17/2017 2:00:36 PM   
BillBrown

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

By the end of '43, Japan can have all of their fleet carriers if the player is willing to spend the HI points. It sounds like Lowpe willing.

That is very, very bad news.

(in reply to pws1225)
Post #: 25
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/18/2017 1:31:30 AM   
Bif1961

The Tax Police BN must be prepping for the post war immigration to San Fran.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 26
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/19/2017 11:54:03 PM   
BillBrown

I had a nice long reply done and the board ate it, and it was one the few times I did NOT copy what I wrote before hitting OK.

December 10, 1943

No disaster occurred but I got two rude awakenings.

1. The hex I bombed in Burma has a unit called 25th Air Defense AA Regiment, and it seems to have some large AA guns. I will have to rethink things next turn. I am not getting B-29 replacements yet, so I can not really afford to lose any. I was hoping to gain experience at the same time as I pummeled the units in that hex.

2. The house rules I inherited are:
No strategic bombing prior to July 1st 1943.
No strategic bombing in China for the duration of the war.
No 4Es on naval below 10k
PPs for moving restricted units beyond national borders.
Max altitude based on year.
Dec 1941- May 1942: 20,000
June 1942-Dec 1942: 25,000
1943: 30,000
1944--45: 35,000

Having my P-47 fighters restricted to 30,000 feet keeps them from being used at the only altitude that they have a better maneuverability then their opponents. It means I can not use P-47s for sweep missions until next month. I lost 6 A2A and 5 write offs from one unit doing a sweep from Raboul to Manus.

The picture is of the South Eastern Pacific. As you can see, Jeff still controls Palmyra, Canton Island, and Baker. I will want to retake those to prevent them being used as bases for Naval Attack and/or Naval Search.
Not shown is Johnson Island which will also be taken.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 27
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/20/2017 7:36:11 AM   
obvert

quote:

2. The house rules I inherited are:
No strategic bombing prior to July 1st 1943.
No strategic bombing in China for the duration of the war.
No 4Es on naval below 10k
PPs for moving restricted units beyond national borders.
Max altitude based on year.
Dec 1941- May 1942: 20,000
June 1942-Dec 1942: 25,000
1943: 30,000
1944--45: 35,000

Having my P-47 fighters restricted to 30,000 feet keeps them from being used at the only altitude that they have a better maneuverability then their opponents. It means I can not use P-47s for sweep missions until next month. I lost 6 A2A and 5 write offs from one unit doing a sweep from Raboul to Manus.

This is not quite correct. That HR is not limiting. You used one group against a numerous CAP.

Against Lowpe, the altitude of P-47s is going to be a moot point. He will use low CAP to combat strato sweeps and your P-47s will suffer. I am playing him as Allies and he has Symon's air fixes in my game too, and I've already started planning and testing, because I know what this means. I use it myself.

There are ways to combat it, but I'm not going to go into them here. The main point is this will be a tough game as he spends a lot of time working on the air war, and he will get results there no matter what you do. So start thinking now of ways you can proceed without the usual lock and load P-47 power sweeps.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 28
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/20/2017 5:05:30 PM   
Lokasenna

I notice that, aside from the naval attack limitation (which I find silly/unnecessary because that's such a misuse of the planes), there are no limits on the use of 4E's...

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 29
RE: Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) - 9/20/2017 6:26:24 PM   
BillBrown

I have informed Jeff that I will not be able to take over this game. I really under appreciated how much time it would take.
I still work full time and 4 games was too much. It is my fault, I should not have offered, but sometimes we all do stupid things.
I was not happy with the house rules, but in less than a month they would have been mostly obsolete anyway. I just do not have
the time it would take to do this game justice. I will stick with my three existing games( two are quite slow ) and try and not
overload my self again.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> Sheep are Reborn - Bill Brown(A) vs lowpe(J) Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI