Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

witpqs off the hook - sort of

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> witpqs off the hook - sort of Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 2:01:27 PM   
BBfanboy

witpqs is no longer in trouble with PETA ... as long as he donates 25% of his profits to them!

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Post #: 1
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 2:10:07 PM   
General Patton

....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DW Series-Beta Tester
TotS-Alpha Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 2
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 2:17:06 PM   
MakeeLearn

Opposing arguments....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to General Patton)
Post #: 3
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 2:19:09 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: MakeeLearn

Opposing arguments....

Are you adopting that as your avatar?!!
Might be a little too much "in your face"!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 4
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 3:47:01 PM   
Lokasenna

So what is it, a 25% VP tax?

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 5
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 4:04:36 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

witpqs is no longer in trouble with PETA ... as long as he donates 25% of his profits to them!

So the basic story is this, highly summarized but I hope capturing the key elements that I've gleaned from a number of news items including articles in a law blog written by law professors (The Volokh Conspiracy). The photographer put his camera down for some reason. A monkey - 'a' monkey - picked it up and snapped a few photos, pretty clearly without understanding what was happening as it handled the camera. At some point the photographer, who lives in the UK, placed said photos in the public domain. It happens that absent a written agreement/contract/whatever one does not own photographs not taken by oneself, even if taken with one's equipment. It also happens that animals do not have property rights, including copyright. At various times the photographer was sued by PETA and perhaps others alleging the photos were copyright of/property of the monkey.

PETA in particular claims the photos were taken by a female monkey they call Naruto and they legally represent said monkey. AFAIK in other matters they have claimed to legally represent many animals and nonhuman entities. The photographer claims that the photograph was taken by a male, certainly not the monkey PETA claims. Various US courts including at least one Federal appeals court ruled animals do not have property rights and the photograph is not owned by anyone, end of story. Along the way the photographer, who recall had already placed the photographs into the public domain (giving up rights he didn't have but certainly disavowing them I guess) went bankrupt from the lawsuits. How he deserved that is beyond my understanding.

PETA kept finding ways to go back to court in the US but was not getting anywhere as the prior rulings showed no signs of weakness at all. Apparently they were thought to have spent at least $70K or $80K on the latest suit and could have been liable for the defendant's attorney's fees if they kept pursuing the suit. Hence the "settlement" was reached. Reportedly the photographer promised 25% of any future profits from the photos to some charity or charities. PETA publicly claims "victory".

< Message edited by witpqs -- 9/12/2017 9:14:25 PM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 6
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 4:39:43 PM   
Yaab

Animals don't use money or legal tenders. How do you pay them royalties?

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 7
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 7:45:01 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

Animals don't use money or legal tenders. How do you pay them royalties?

In bananas.

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 8
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 7:59:49 PM   
mikkey

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 9
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 8:23:59 PM   
Yaab

Eat royally?

(in reply to mikkey)
Post #: 10
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 8:29:10 PM   
BillBrown

And I will not and have never made any donation to PETA ( PETA = PITA )

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 11
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 10:42:01 PM   
geofflambert

Why isn't there a PETG? You know, People for the Ethical Treatment of Gorns.

(in reply to BillBrown)
Post #: 12
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 10:50:25 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Gorns are good for making Soylent Green. 'Cause they're already green.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 13
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/12/2017 11:56:55 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

Gorns are good for making Soylent Green. 'Cause they're already green.

I'm in a generous mood, so you can have my share of the Soylent Green witpqs!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 14
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/13/2017 3:38:24 AM   
Lovejoy

Poor fellow: he just go caught in the works.

< Message edited by Lovejoy -- 9/13/2017 3:41:32 AM >

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 15
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/13/2017 11:31:13 AM   
Ranger5355

I'm a bit surprised. I thought the picture was photo-shopped!

(in reply to Lovejoy)
Post #: 16
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/13/2017 1:50:55 PM   
Lecivius

How on earth did PETA gain legal representation of an animal? Tort reform is WAY overdue in this country

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Ranger5355)
Post #: 17
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/13/2017 2:21:12 PM   
MakeeLearn

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lecivius

How on earth did PETA gain legal representation of an animal? Tort reform is WAY overdue in this country

It's a Madhouse....

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 18
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/13/2017 2:27:58 PM   
MakeeLearn

PETA should be worried about real crime...

Attachment (1)

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 19
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/13/2017 2:49:56 PM   
adarbrauner

Gosh!

(in reply to MakeeLearn)
Post #: 20
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/13/2017 3:30:37 PM   
witpqs

Last night I read that as part of the settlement both parties (PETA and the photographer) are asking the court to vacate (take back or whatever) the previous ruling that animals have no property rights. Possibly the law firm representing PETA has a number of other animal-property lawsuits waiting in the wings and that ruling was a crushing blow.

(in reply to adarbrauner)
Post #: 21
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/13/2017 5:41:13 PM   
Lokasenna

quote:

In the same way that organizations can have legal representation of other non-person entities.

Animals are something of a special case - we accord them certain rights (animal cruelty laws come to mind, also disputes over ownership I imagine) and in such cases... someone has to represent them. Kind of like how someone has to represent the best interests of minor children in legal situations and whatnot.

Not really seeing how that's related to torts, though. There's either a law on the books that would allow a suit to be brought, or there isn't. Whether or not the entity with standing to sue is represented by another entity isn't really relevant to the tort itself.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 22
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/13/2017 6:33:00 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

quote:

In the same way that organizations can have legal representation of other non-person entities.

Animals are something of a special case - we accord them certain rights (animal cruelty laws come to mind, also disputes over ownership I imagine) and in such cases... someone has to represent them. Kind of like how someone has to represent the best interests of minor children in legal situations and whatnot.

Not really seeing how that's related to torts, though. There's either a law on the books that would allow a suit to be brought, or there isn't. Whether or not the entity with standing to sue is represented by another entity isn't really relevant to the tort itself.

Animal rights (such as cruelty) are represented by the law of the land. That would allow legal representation of a body (animals, or a herd, or an identified group) in the form of a government body (Animal Control). This...this is just someone applying for civil relief for a individual personal cause. They ruined a person just because of an act of nature ( the monkey took his own picture, the photag never made a claim of right). There was no intention of relief, this was twisting the law for a political agenda.

As for tort law, a tort is " A body of rights, obligations, and remedies that is applied by courts in civil proceedings to provide relief for persons who have suffered harm". Saying a wild monkey has the same civil rights as a human is akin to saying hunters need to be sued for distress for hunting deer. What's next, we sue Dow Chemical for giving roaches cancer?

Okies, I'll get off my soap box. No reason to get Bill in here swinging the ban stick

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 23
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/14/2017 5:10:05 PM   
Lokasenna

I'm definitely not saying that the context doesn't make it strange or absurd (i.e. deer distress), but from a legal standpoint (to me, a non-lawyer) the concept of representation makes sense.

(in reply to Lecivius)
Post #: 24
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/14/2017 6:10:09 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lokasenna

I'm definitely not saying that the context doesn't make it strange or absurd (i.e. deer distress), but from a legal standpoint (to me, a non-lawyer) the concept of representation makes sense.

I didn't try to repeat too much of that article I read which described them asking the court to set aside an earlier ruling but here is a little more detail. PETA's reasoning for asking the court to set aside the animals can't own property ruling is that the settlement is between PETA and the photographer so the monkey should not be bound where it has no say in the matter. That seems to undermine their rationale about representing the monkey in the first place.

(in reply to Lokasenna)
Post #: 25
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/14/2017 8:03:35 PM   
geofflambert

As a lawyer representing the interests of Corporations, the Justice Roberts and the Supremes have ruled that corporations are people. It is our intent to establish that these people shall have suffrage, that is to say they should be able to vote like any other people. The question arises as to how many votes should a corporation have? Well, naturally, that depends on how much money they have. Of course.

I'm not really a lawyer, just joking.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 26
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/15/2017 6:58:19 AM   
Commander Cody

Hey, what do you guys have against PETA? I've been a member since I was knee high to a grasshopper..

Cheers,
CC

Attachment (1)

Beer, because barley makes lousy bread.

(in reply to geofflambert)
Post #: 27
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/15/2017 10:16:55 AM   
Canoerebel

I was a lawyer in a previous life, with a concentration in natural resources law. As I recall, the question of "standing" was raised in the landmark case of Sierra Club v. Morton. Disney had plans to build a massive ski resort in a small, remote, high altitude valley in the Sierras. The Supreme Court held that the Sierra Club did not have standing in the case - that is, the right to assert what amounted to a claim on behalf of the trees and the environment that would be affected by the development. But the court noted that the Club might just have standing if it alleged that it's members would be impacted by the proposed development - their enjoyment of hiking, etc. The outcome of all this was that the Sierra Club prevailed. The resort was never built.

(in reply to Commander Cody)
Post #: 28
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/15/2017 4:46:57 PM   
witpqs

I heard about that. This case of course is different in that there is nothing impinging on any human's rights. They are simply seeking to establish the right of animals to own property, and of course their place in controlling (through legal representation) all of those interests (read as: money and power).

I think Tears for Fears put out a song about that...

(in reply to Canoerebel)
Post #: 29
RE: witpqs off the hook - sort of - 9/16/2017 4:46:09 AM   
witpqs

It just keeps getting better...
Lawyer: Without The Monkey's Approval, PETA Can't Settle Monkey Selfie Case

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> witpqs off the hook - sort of Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI