OT: Hurricane Irma

This new stand alone release based on the legendary War in the Pacific from 2 by 3 Games adds significant improvements and changes to enhance game play, improve realism, and increase historical accuracy. With dozens of new features, new art, and engine improvements, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition brings you the most realistic and immersive WWII Pacific Theater wargame ever!

Moderators: wdolson, MOD_War-in-the-Pacific-Admirals-Edition

Chickenboy

OT: Hurricane Irma

Post by Chickenboy »

Looks like it'll swing N from Cuba and run much of the length of Florida. Georgia and South Carolina will likely be affected as well.

Please be safe, all our friends in Florida, Georgia and South Carolina. This thing's a monster.
btd64

RE: OT: Hurricane Irma

Post by btd64 »

Then it moves inland and........
Everyone in its path, be safe....GP
Intel i7 4.3GHz 10th Gen,16GB Ram,Nvidia GeForce MX330

AKA General Patton

DWU-Beta Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester
DW2-Alpha/Beta Tester
New Game Development Team

"Do everything you ask of those you command"....Gen. George S. Patton
Yaab

Post by Yaab »

Just rename it to Sherman and be done with it already.
pontiouspilot

Post by pontiouspilot »

I don't know how or why people would live in these sorts of places when they could enjoy 5 months of nice serene winter up here?? ...plus your dollar is worth $1.20 and no one really cares whether your politics are red or blue or green. Message paid for by Tourism Alberta.
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

I don't know how or why people would live in these sorts of places when they could enjoy 5 months of nice serene winter up here?? ...plus your dollar is worth $1.20 and no one really cares whether your politics are red or blue or green. Message paid for by Tourism Alberta.
+1 [&o]
But you have the Abdominable Snowman.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

I was born and raised in Miami from 1960 to 1979, when I left for college in Georgia. My dad owned a business called Hurricane Engineering Company. I remember reading the weather report on the tickertape from his teletype machine in the mid 1960s. So hurricanes were kind of in our blood from an early age.

After Hurricane Betsy around 1966, Miami wasn't hit by another major hurricane until Andrew in 1992. But in 1979, just before I left for college, Hurricane David was supposed to make a direct hit. It turned north a bit soon, however, and tracked up the east coast of Florida, just offshore. Damage done in our part of the state was minimal, because generally it's the right side of the hurricane that's the strongest, while the left side is often the most weak.

All that to say that if Hurricane Irma turns north a bit sooner than currently forecast, things could be much different for Florida. Here's hoping (though an early turn would result in trouble for somebody, most likely the Bahamas). Whether Irma turns soon or not it seems like one or both of the Carolinas are going to get shellacked. The storm is moving pretty fast, so excessive rain shouldn't be an issue....unless the storm stalls or slows after it goes inland. If that happens over the southern Appalachians....yikes!

My younger sister and her husband lost their house to Andrew in '92. They rebuilt on the same lot. They've leaving Miami (may have already left) to refugee to their son's house here in north Georgia. I hope they don't lose another house.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

To move north, you need to already have a solid job offer, and/or $600k in savings. I looked once [:(] I'm still working on Saskatchewan (it must be true, I can spell that correctly w/o spell check [;)]).
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

Thanks all.

Reports here in Columbia, SC, are saying that there is no more bottled water to be found in the city. Sucks to be me since I don't have any bottled water... and I don't have a generator... and my tp is running low (time to run to the store 'eh?

But not too worried, we're far enough inland we should be ok.
witpqs

Post by witpqs »

Eh?
geofflambert

Post by geofflambert »

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Thanks all.

Reports here in Columbia, SC, are saying that there is no more bottled water to be found in the city. Sucks to be me since I don't have any bottled water... and I don't have a generator... and my tp is running low (time to run to the store 'eh?

Fill your bathtub or something.

You have a water heater, don't you? That will last you a long time, just put a cup under the drain and open it.

Turn the shutoff to the whole house off to prevent contamination and everything in your pipes will be fine.

DD696

Post by DD696 »

I"m just outside of Savannah. The current track has Irma about 15 miles to the northwest of me. Savannah/Chatham County as well as most of the Georgia coastline is under a mandatory evacuation. My county just issued a voluntary evacuation order. I've been getting a few things together to load in the jeep along with four cats in three carriers (one is quite large, so 2 in it). The vet suggested ChlorTabs to help calm them down. I think rum will be my calmer of choice if I decide to leave, or even if I stay.

I'm afraid that unless Irma moves further east, Savannah will be quite torn up. Local weather forecast for Monday is calling for 99 mph winds during the day, and 63 at night. I'll probably have to kiss my seven corvettes goodbye and hope for the best.
USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
DD696

Post by DD696 »

With bad news there is always good. My daughter just sent this to me about one of my brothers:

http://idahostatejournal.com/news/local ... 33266.html
USMC: 1970-1977. A United States Marine.
We don't take kindly to idjits.
BBfanboy

Post by BBfanboy »

ORIGINAL: AcePylut

Thanks all.

No worries about the tp - a hurricane will leave lots of leaves for you to use ...
No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth
Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

ORIGINAL: DD696

I'll probably have to kiss my seven corvettes goodbye and hope for the best.

I'll come get them, if that helps? [;)] Seriously, stay safe out there. And post if someone needs help.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Thoughts and prayers for all those in Irma's path wherever they are located - particularly the poorer islands in the Caribbean. I hear there is another one right behind. Is this usual to have three so close together or does this happen all the time and its the trajectory and the strength that is the issue?
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Aurorus

Post by Aurorus »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Thoughts and prayers for all those in Irma's path wherever they are located - particularly the poorer islands in the Caribbean. I hear there is another one right behind. Is this usual to have three so close together or does this happen all the time and its the trajectory and the strength that is the issue?

+1. Well said. Hoping for the best for everyone in Miami from South America.
Canoerebel

Post by Canoerebel »

It's not unusual to have multiple storms in existence at the same time, nor to have multiple major storms strike in the same general area in a short period of time. I think it was in 2005 that four strong hurricanes hit Florida, several of them close together.
"Rats set fire to Mr. Cooper’s store in Fort Valley. No damage done." Columbus (Ga) Enquirer-Sun, October 2, 1880.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Canoerebel

It's not unusual to have multiple storms in existence at the same time, nor to have multiple major storms strike in the same general area in a short period of time. I think it was in 2005 that four strong hurricanes hit Florida, several of them close together.
warspite1

Okay thanks - I certainly don't recall that but maybe Katrina gobbled up all the Hurricane news over here that year.
Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
AcePylut

Post by AcePylut »

ORIGINAL: DD696

I"m just outside of Savannah. The current track has Irma about 15 miles to the northwest of me. Savannah/Chatham County as well as most of the Georgia coastline is under a mandatory evacuation. My county just issued a voluntary evacuation order. I've been getting a few things together to load in the jeep along with four cats in three carriers (one is quite large, so 2 in it). The vet suggested ChlorTabs to help calm them down. I think rum will be my calmer of choice if I decide to leave, or even if I stay.

I'm afraid that unless Irma moves further east, Savannah will be quite torn up. Local weather forecast for Monday is calling for 99 mph winds during the day, and 63 at night. I'll probably have to kiss my seven corvettes goodbye and hope for the best.

If you need a place to stay a little inland, you're welcome to stay at my place. I'll open the home and love cats. Of course, my 2 kids will play with them to no end :)

ny59giants

Post by ny59giants »

I'm in NE corner of Tenn. It looks like lots of rain Monday/Tuesday. It's been a wet summer already, so this will not help. One of our earthen dams is undergoing a 6 year repair (part of TVA) and the one above me cannot deal with a huge influx of water from runoff.

Thankfully, I live on a good size hill on the edge of town, so I'm in the clear. Just have to watch out for local flooded bridges and roads.

Stay safe guys!!
[center]Image[/center]

Return to “War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition”