Map Editing

Please post here for questions and discussion about scenario, art and sound modding and the game editor for Distant Worlds.

Moderators: Icemania, elliotg

Serenitis

Map Editing

Post by Serenitis »

This is driving me up the wall.
When editing a map, how do you set a star system to be 'unexplored'?
Because I cannot see anything that toggles this anywhere, and the Empire Exploration tab in the editor does not appear to do anything at all.
The modding guide contains nothing helpful.

How do you do this 'simple' task?
What is the Empire Exploration tab supposed to actually do?

Another question which I can't seem to find ananswer for:
The quality for newly created barren and gas planets defaults to 100%, and there does not seem to be a numeric field for those types of planet.
Is there any way to change thier quality?
rjord2021

RE: Map Editing

Post by rjord2021 »

ORIGINAL: Serenitis

This is driving me up the wall.
When editing a map, how do you set a star system to be 'unexplored'?
Because I cannot see anything that toggles this anywhere, and the Empire Exploration tab in the editor does not appear to do anything at all.
The modding guide contains nothing helpful.

How do you do this 'simple' task?
What is the Empire Exploration tab supposed to actually do?

The quality for newly created barren and gas planets defaults to 100%, and there does not seem to be a numeric field for those types of planet.

If you want to change a system to explored or unexplored you need to use the Empire Exploration tool which has only 2 functions: to change an unexplored system to an explored one or to change an explored system to an unexplored one.

To use it do the following:

- on the game map go to the system you wish to change from unexplored to explored but do not zoom in to the system so you see the planets and moons. This tool only works when you see the systems only not when you zoom in to see the planets.

- go to the editor and select the Empire you want to change the settings for explored or unexplored...in this example I would use Klingons as an example.

-with the Klingon empire selected in Empire exploration you will see the icon has changed to a pair of binoculars.

- to specify a system has been explored by the Klingons you simply left click on the system in the map

- to specify a system is unexplored by the Klingons you simply right click on the system in the map.

- exit the editor and you will now see the systems have been changed to explored or unexplored depending on whether you left clicked or right clicked on the system.

- for this to work you need to make sure the map is zoomed out so you only see the system name not the planets in the system because individual planets, moons, etc cannot be marked.
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

barren and gas planets cannot be colonized so you will see that the quality value is not a factor for this reason and therefore cannot be changed.
Serenitis

Post by Serenitis »

- to specify a system has been explored by the Klingons you simply left click on the system in the map

- to specify a system is unexplored by the Klingons you simply right click on the system in the map.

- exit the editor and you will now see the systems have been changed to explored or unexplored depending on whether you left clicked or right clicked on the system.

Thank you! I'm a little curious to know how you discovered this given the lack of documentation/feedback in the game.
Regardless, you are gem.

Shame about all the 100% barren worlds floating about though. I suppose that can't be helped.
Shark7

Post by Shark7 »

The planet quality only affects habitable planets (namely growth rate and max population IIRC), so it would have no use on an planet that can't be colonized. Quality might also affect happiness through development, and thus tax rates as well, but I'm not as sure on that one.

And even a long time veteran player like me (been here since the day 1 release of the original game), didn't know about the right click/left click for whether a system is explored or not. You learn something knew every day.
Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'
rjord2021

Post by rjord2021 »

Thank you! I'm a little curious to know how you discovered this given the lack of documentation/feedback in the game.
Regardless, you are gem.

Shame about all the 100% barren worlds floating about though. I suppose that can't be helped.

I found all that information in the Distant Worlds Galactopedia and clicking on the section for Empire Exploration...... the Galactopedia (white question mark top left of screen) is a source of some good information on screens etc in Distant Worlds Universe.....

When I first started playing Universe many many years ago I was puzzled about why Empire Exploration did nothing but display binoculars. Looked up the screen in the Galactopedia and discovered it works only when you are in system view and not when you zoom in.

I do recommend everyone check out the Galactopedia as you never know what little secrets you will discover.

Return to “Design and Modding”