Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

OT-Lite: Book recommendation Destroyer Squadron-23

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT-Lite: Book recommendation Destroyer Squadron-23 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
OT-Lite: Book recommendation Destroyer Squadron-23 - 8/29/2017 5:17:58 PM   
DanSez

I love used book stores. On an good weekend, I feel like a hunter stalking the elusive prey.
Latest find:

Destroyer Squadron 23
Combat Exploits of Arleigh Burke's Gallant Force
by Ken Jones
ISBN 0-7394-1015-6

First published in 1959 - the old school prose and attitudes clearly echo the heroes who rose to meet the challenge of command.

A small excerpt: page 58
Seagoing is nearly as ancient as the human race. Down through the centuries, the art of seagoing has absorbed and amalgamated the sea ways of all people, including their practical inventions along with the their legends and superstitions. Thus ships, their organizations and the customs and traditions embodied in their design, building, and sailing are truly empirical creations. Preforce the false has been battered down and destroyed along with the lives of countless thousands of sailors by the implacable might of the killer sea against which they sought to stand. What survives is the true -- the true design, the true fabrication, the true organization, the true practices of seagoing; most of all, the true men. For the false cannot long survive at sea.

I particularly like Burke's first 5 points of doctrine:
1. If it will kill Japs -- it's important
2. If it will not help kill Japs -- it's not important
3. Keep your ship trained for battle
4. Keep your material ready for battle
5. Keep your boss informed concerning your readiness for battle

The book (which I am still reading) spends some time introducing you to the ship's captains with their histories ( how they got there) and examples of how they executed their duty. I find it interesting that all of the Arleigh Burke's initial destroyer commanders of DesRon-23 became Rear-Admirals or higher.

Highly recommended.

< Message edited by DanSez -- 8/29/2017 5:19:07 PM >
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> OT-Lite: Book recommendation Destroyer Squadron-23 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI