New Syrian Conflict Scenerio???

Post new mods and scenarios here.

Moderator: MOD_Command

okane73

New Syrian Conflict Scenerio???

Post by okane73 »

I think it would be great if someone could do a new Syrian Conflict scenario where players can choose to play as Russian/Regime forces.
What I was thinking is something like a situation maybe right after the fake chemical attack or the US tomahawk strikes? Not trying to
put forth any political agenda or anything just think it would be fun to game and unfortunately my Lua skills are more than lacking.
thewood1

RE: New Syrian Conflict Scenerio???

Post by thewood1 »

"Not trying to put forth any political agenda"

In the same paragraph as "the fake chemical attack"...

Yeah, no political agenda or anything. And first post ever...that doesn't look suspicious at all.
Zaslon

Post by Zaslon »

suspicious of what?
Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

I think you can figure it out.
okane73

Post by okane73 »

thewood1, what could I possibly have to gain by acting "suspicious" here? Just call it like I see it. didn't feel right not saying that
in regards to that incident. Sorry, how about "The chemical attack". Really wasn't trying to come off political but I guess that did
come off that way didn't it. Again sorry, just thought that would be a cool scenario as an update to Old Grudges.
tjhkkr

Post by tjhkkr »

ORIGINAL: okane73
thewood1, what could I possibly have to gain by acting "suspicious" here? Just call it like I see it. didn't feel right not saying that
in regards to that incident. Sorry, how about "The chemical attack". Really wasn't trying to come off political but I guess that did
come off that way didn't it. Again sorry, just thought that would be a cool scenario as an update to Old Grudges.

Okane73,
You sort of have to be careful here. Speaking as a man who I myself have unintentionally said stupid things, there are many different nationalities here...
I have done it myself.
It is best to follow the old adage of Dragnet... Just the Facts, ma'am![:D]
This is a good community; just have to be aware of its international dimension.
Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

Feel free to call it like you see it. But...

1) There are a million game-related topics you could have chosen to introduce yourself with.
2) You assumed everyone agreed with your perspective on events without even taking a gander at previous discussions on the board
3) People putting in their VERY first post on the Matrix forums that contain phrases like "Not trying to put forth any political agenda", usually are doing just that.

If you didn't think what you were saying was politically controversial, why mention the political nature of the comment. Why not just say events around the "fake chemical attack"? I am not sure what you wanted to accomplish. You actually said you don't mean to be political, yet you knew the statement had political implications. So logic dictates you knew it had the potential to be construed as political and controversial. Why else call out explicitly that the comments aren't being political? That logic leads to the suspicion that on your VERY first post, you are just trying to stir things up.

I actually don't care if the event was fake or not. I care about someone who seems to have signed up to the forum so they can come in and get things stirred up. You can redeem yourself in my eyes if you can explain how you stated what you were saying could be interpreted as political, and then a couple posts later plead ignorance that it might have been construed as political. That kind of contradictory statement is what makes me even more suspicious.

Your other choice is always to just ignore some advice and stomp around the forum stirring things up.
Zaslon

Post by Zaslon »

ORIGINAL: thewood1

I think you can figure it out.
I can figure plenty. Write it in order to evade misunderstandings.
Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China
okane73

Post by okane73 »

thewood1, Brother relax. I really didn't mean to offend anyone. I definitely didn't assume everyone agreed with my view on anything. Just think it would be cool. That's all. Again sorry badly worded on my part apologies to anyone who was offended. Saying the "events surrounding the chemical attack" would have definitely been more appropriate. I really don't have any agenda or anything. Hope that was redeeming enough for you.
thewood1

Post by thewood1 »

If you really want redemption, help build the scenario you asked for.

But also don't be disingenuous. You knew the comment could be construed as political and you even admitted it. Then you said you didn't realize it might be political. I just want to know which one it is.
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

Hey okane73, Lua is not as hard as it looks and scenario editing is actually pretty easy. Have a crack at it and if you run into trouble there's a bunch of people who would be happy to help out on the forum. Let us know how it goes.
okane73

Post by okane73 »

apache85, I am already putting something together. Can I ask...can a scenario be created that doesn't use Lua and still be functional or is Lua something I must use to make it run correctly? Gonna give it a try just using editor and see what I get. Thanks in advance.
Gunner98

Post by Gunner98 »

okane73

Scenarios can certainly be built 'Lua-free'. Lua adds flexibility to the scenario but the basic event mechanics are just fine without it. Give it a shot with the basics and chances are you have everything you need.

B
Check out our novel, Northern Fury: H-Hour!: http://northernfury.us/
And our blog: http://northernfury.us/blog/post2/
Twitter: @NorthernFury94 or Facebook https://www.facebook.com/northernfury/
Rory Noonan

Post by Rory Noonan »

ORIGINAL: okane73

apache85, I am already putting something together. Can I ask...can a scenario be created that doesn't use Lua and still be functional or is Lua something I must use to make it run correctly? Gonna give it a try just using editor and see what I get. Thanks in advance.

Like Gunner98 said, for sure. I use a lot of Lua in my scenarios and I am just starting to 'come full circle' and move back to using the event editor wherever possible, it makes things much quicker and easier. Lua is great for adding extra bells and whistles, but the event editor is where the bones of the scenario is.

Return to “Mods and Scenarios”