Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

SuperFetch Do you know about it?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> SuperFetch Do you know about it? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SuperFetch Do you know about it? - 8/22/2017 3:22:15 AM   
aaatoysandmore

I discovered it when I noticed my memory usage kept going upwards of 41% upon launch and startup times were taking 5 minutes. It would start out using low memory and then increase over time.

I started experimenting with enabling and disabling certain things in my "services" section of msconfig which you can get to by clicking the start button and typing in msconfig A popup screen will come up and then click on the services tab and scroll down and see if you have SuperFetch on your computer. I turned it off and my memory went from 41% usage down to 16% and stayed there upon launch.

What SuperFetch does I read online is "store" basically common launch data and suppose to make it faster to launch programs. Well, it does and is ok if you only have a "few" programs on your computer. But, if you are like me and have what seems like thousands of programs it really slows down computer startup and eats up memory like it was chocolate and nuts.

Hope this helps anyone that notices a lot of memory usage from their computers or needs that extra kick of memory for a program that uses a lot.

Since services are usually in alpha order it should be easy to find.

Have fun.
Post #: 1
RE: SuperFetch Do you know about it? - 8/22/2017 12:30:00 PM   
VPaulus

Yeah, SuperFetch can be specially terrible with Windows Vista, although it was improved in the next Windows versions.
IF you have a Windows Vista, it's one of the first things to get rid off.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 2
RE: SuperFetch Do you know about it? - 8/23/2017 2:35:18 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: VPaulus

Yeah, SuperFetch can be specially terrible with Windows Vista, although it was improved in the next Windows versions.
IF you have a Windows Vista, it's one of the first things to get rid off.

Haha; how did you know?

Now the next thing I have found is what I've always feared about "Steam", even in offline mode the steam.exe and steamhelper applications use up 25% of memory when first launched. Thas fine I expect some usage, but, when I close steam and it's applications that amount of memory stays activated and never comes down below 38% until I 'reboot' my system which brings me back down to 15% or 16% until I launch Steam again. I can go on a webpage and browse and play other games not on steam and they use up some memory, but, when I close them the memory usage goes back to 15% or 16%.

So, somehow someway Steam is causing a memory leak or usage not to stop when closing it down.

So, I tell you now brothers in arms that like Matrixgames and Slitherine games and you want all that memory to "buy direct" from them, use your coupons or whatever but, buy direct and do not use the steam application as much as possible unless the majority of your Matrix and Slitherine games are on there. I will not buy anymore on Steam now that I know this. Most of the ones I have on steam are from Humble Bundle sales and I don't really play those that much anyways.

Sadly the Total War games and Crusader Kings II are totally devoted to Steam and I have no choice if I want to play them.

EDIT: Now this is on a Vista64 system; I don't know how Win10 does with Steam. Maybe someone can check for us and see if a certain amount of memory remains in usage after using Steam on or offline?

< Message edited by aaatoysandmore -- 8/23/2017 2:38:57 AM >

(in reply to VPaulus)
Post #: 3
RE: SuperFetch Do you know about it? - 8/23/2017 3:08:40 AM   
**budd**

Just shut down steam after 2 hours of play, checked task manager nothing running after closing. Win10 home.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

Post #: 4
RE: SuperFetch Do you know about it? - 8/23/2017 4:08:23 AM   
Fallschirmjager

If steam is using 25% of your memory something is terribly wrong or you don't have a a lot of memory.
My PC was last shut down 13 days ago and steam is using 331 MB of memory. My Opera browser uses more due to be leaving so many webpages open.
I am running with 16 GB of memory and usuallly run at 22-25% used when idle with all my programs. Windows 10 home professional.
My anti virus is my worst memory usage offender but I am willing to live with that.

My work laptop is even worse since they saw fit to only give us 6 GB of ram. And we run all of our programs through the cloud and I usuallly have 45-60 virtual machines running through my work notebook.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 5
RE: SuperFetch Do you know about it? - 8/24/2017 4:36:49 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

Just shut down steam after 2 hours of play, checked task manager nothing running after closing. Win10 home.

It's not what is running it's the memory usage at the bottom right of the task window. There's always a number there of some kind.

(in reply to **budd**)
Post #: 6
RE: SuperFetch Do you know about it? - 8/24/2017 4:39:53 AM   
aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

If steam is using 25% of your memory something is terribly wrong or you don't have a a lot of memory.
My PC was last shut down 13 days ago and steam is using 331 MB of memory. My Opera browser uses more due to be leaving so many webpages open.
I am running with 16 GB of memory and usuallly run at 22-25% used when idle with all my programs. Windows 10 home professional.
My anti virus is my worst memory usage offender but I am willing to live with that.

My work laptop is even worse since they saw fit to only give us 6 GB of ram. And we run all of our programs through the cloud and I usuallly have 45-60 virtual machines running through my work notebook.

My task manager shows memory usage in percentile not mb's and it goes from 15 or 16% to 41% when I use Steam. I only have 6gb of memory so thas probably why it uses so much on my puter and shows little on yours. If I had 16gb I probably would see 15 or 16% even with steam running.

(in reply to Fallschirmjager)
Post #: 7
RE: SuperFetch Do you know about it? - 8/25/2017 12:41:52 AM   
Fallschirmjager

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fallschirmjager

My task manager shows memory usage in percentile not mb's and it goes from 15 or 16% to 41% when I use Steam. I only have 6gb of memory so thas probably why it uses so much on my puter and shows little on yours. If I had 16gb I probably would see 15 or 16% even with steam running.

Everyones needs and budgets are different.
But 6 GB is low by modern standards.

And you said your using Vista? 6 GB is way too low for Vista which was always terrible at managing memory.

Post #: 8
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> SuperFetch Do you know about it? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI