Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Ammo replenish from AE ships at sea

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Ammo replenish from AE ships at sea Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Ammo replenish from AE ships at sea - 8/20/2017 9:23:02 PM   
wga

I have two WITP games going, yet to start a AE game. I wonder if these two issues below actually work in AE? As many AE players played WITP at one time, there may be some experience to draw from.

My one PBEM game is now in January 1945, I am USN. I have been unable to successfully replenish Bombardment TFs from fully loaded AE (ammunition transports) in a replenishment TF in the same hex, via Replenish at Sea. So as before my BBs have to sail back to a port to replenish, prevents sustained naval bombardment unless several BB TFs are used in rotation. Has anyone heen able to replenish at sea with AE?

LIkewise I have never been able to replenish CV air groups from replenishment TFs with CVEs/replenishe squadrons in the same or nearby hexes as the CV TF. Always have to sail the CVs back to port to restock.

I do not know if these I features in which either I am doing it wrong or the routines just do not work in WITP. This lacking capabilty hampers USN game play and planning.

Perhaps fixed in WITE/AE?

Bill Thomson
bill@wargameacademy.org
817-501-2978 CST [-6 GMT]
Post #: 1
RE: Ammo replenish from AE ships at sea - 8/20/2017 10:06:39 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: wga

I have two WITP games going, yet to start a AE game. I wonder if these two issues below actually work in AE? As many AE players played WITP at one time, there may be some experience to draw from.

My one PBEM game is now in January 1945, I am USN. I have been unable to successfully replenish Bombardment TFs from fully loaded AE (ammunition transports) in a replenishment TF in the same hex, via Replenish at Sea. So as before my BBs have to sail back to a port to replenish, prevents sustained naval bombardment unless several BB TFs are used in rotation. Has anyone heen able to replenish at sea with AE?

LIkewise I have never been able to replenish CV air groups from replenishment TFs with CVEs/replenishe squadrons in the same or nearby hexes as the CV TF. Always have to sail the CVs back to port to restock.

I do not know if these I features in which either I am doing it wrong or the routines just do not work in WITP. This lacking capabilty hampers USN game play and planning.

AE UNREPs after 1/1/45 had some issues in AE until a beta patch in the past 18 months or so. They work great now.

BTW, life is too short to play WITP when AE is available.

< Message edited by Bullwinkle58 -- 8/20/2017 10:07:17 PM >

The Moose

(in reply to wga)
Post #: 2
RE: Ammo replenish from AE ships at sea - 8/20/2017 10:35:25 PM   
BBfanboy

One of the issues explained by Alfred in the WITP-AE thread on UNREP is that fuelling takes place before ammunitioning, so if your ships used up their ops points on fuelling they might not have enough left to replenish ANY major caliber ammo - you must have enough points to fill the entire magazine associated with any turret, partial replenishment is not done.

E.G. If your ammo level in the magazine for Turret 2 is at 40% and you have enough op points to load up another 40% of the ammo for that turret, nothing will happen because that is partial replenishment. The AI will skip on to the next turret/next ship until it finds a magazine it can replenish. The ops points on the AE are also necessary to the successful replenishment.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to wga)
Post #: 3
RE: Ammo replenish from AE ships at sea - 8/20/2017 11:07:09 PM   
witpqs

quote:

Truly at sea only the AA (including 5 inch) is supposed to be able to replenish. Main batteries no - certainly not battleships but I think not cruisers either.

Using the Replenish at Sea button while at a port is different, but when really "at sea" it is not supposed to work for the big guns.

(in reply to wga)
Post #: 4
RE: Ammo replenish from AE ships at sea - 8/21/2017 12:03:44 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

Truly at sea only the AA (including 5 inch) is supposed to be able to replenish. Main batteries no - certainly not battleships but I think not cruisers either.

Using the Replenish at Sea button while at a port is different, but when really "at sea" it is not supposed to work for the big guns.

I don't know or recall in WITP, but in AE everything on the Allied side replenishes after the patch. As it was supposed to all along. The "5 inches or smaller" thing was a myth. I believed it for a long time too, but was proven wrong in the long thread preceding Michael doing the patch.

The Moose

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 5
RE: Ammo replenish from AE ships at sea - 8/21/2017 12:07:36 AM   
Bullwinkle58

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4095833&mpage=1&key=replenishment

The Moose

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 6
RE: Ammo replenish from AE ships at sea - 8/21/2017 12:30:58 AM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

I don't know or recall in WITP, but in AE everything on the Allied side replenishes after the patch. As it was supposed to all along. The "5 inches or smaller" thing was a myth. I believed it for a long time too, but was proven wrong in the long thread preceding Michael doing the patch.

I had skipped that thread (too busy at the time). Didn't know that function had been patched.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room >> Ammo replenish from AE ships at sea Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI