I wonder what is happening too. The homeworld (spaceports) does suck up resources, but that is the way it is. This should not prevent the colony from having the meager resources they ask for if they are present.
So if you indeed have the problems you describe, my best guess is that you have a resource shortage from lacking mines, or that your freighters are prevented from doing their work (lack of fuel, pirates).
Keep in mind, that it should be natural to have a delay of building a new (tiny) star base right away, as the colony would require materials for the construction to arrive.
If you look in the colony inventory, you will see amount stored and reserved for each resource. The building project will put the needed materials as reserved, and if the two values are the same, it means that the colony has no units to spare (all are reserved).
So if you get "shortage of chromium", check your colony/spaceport inventory, and see if there is anything free. I would guess you will have some reserved, and a lower amount in store.
Thanks, Bingeling, though I have already went through those sanity checks:
1) there are no pirate or wars disturbing my freighters whatsoever
2) quite a few freighters seem to be idling around with no mission
3) I have more than a dozen mines that seem to be sitting at full stockpiles and don't get any traffic
4) quite a few freighters fly around with fraction of their cargo capacity
5) I am NOT building any ships or anything that would drain resources on Homeworld, neither is private sector
6) Homeworld has stockpiles going from 90k (Caslon, my main fuel) to 600k of other goods
7) Colony 1 already has its small star base built, so that is not the cause of shortages
8) (NEW with Bacon mod) I have manually ordered transports from Homeworld to Colony 1, so it had the shortage penalty removed for a month or two
9) Freighters keep draining resources from Colony 1 and hauling it to Homeworld for no apparent reason
I have no idea why Colony 1 is stripped of everything when Homeworld is full of resources and so are numerous mines.
Freighters seem to prioritize stripping Colony 1 even if it means only hauling 50-300 goods at a time when I have got mines with 10-40k untouched stockpiles.
< Message edited by Dragnov -- 8/28/2017 11:23:54 AM >