out of memory

Post bug reports and ask for help with issues here.

Moderator: rickier65

webhop

out of memory

Post by webhop »

I just bought this game but I cannot get more than 2 turns into the game without it crashing. The problem seems to be system out of memory exception. I have a high end gaming laptop and it does not matter which graphics card I use. I also turned the graphics in the game down to low and it still crashes. I would love to play this game but I need help to get it running.
zakblood

RE: out of memory

Post by zakblood »

How to get a DirectX Diagnostic file:

1. click on "START"
2. click "run"
3. type in "dxdiag" and click "OK"
4. check through the tabs and perform all tests
5. click "Save all Information..." and save the text file to a location of your choice

We prefer that DxDiag files be posted as message attachments rather than pasted into the body of the post.

tbh you have already mentioned a lot, and that's it's a laptop with dual chips for vga, you need to force the game to use just one, in settings, which is easy, but also a pain on some laptops as well, some work, others don't, so it's look of the draw, as onboard vga chips sometimes don't support DRx9 c fully, while the other will will, but getting the laptop to always use one, that's another thing

Code: Select all

https://superuser.com/questions/630723/how-do-i-prevent-my-laptop-from-switching-to-the-integrated-graphic-card-when-it

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/support/infraworks/troubleshooting/caas/sfdcarticles/sfdcarticles/How-to-force-your-laptop-to-Run-with-Graphics-Processor-vs-the-default-Integrated-Graphics-for-InfraWorks.html

http://www.techadvisor.co.uk/how-to/pc-components/how-set-default-graphics-card-3612668/
Windows 11 Pro 64-bit (10.0, Build 22621) (22621.ni_release.220506-1250)
webhop

Post by webhop »

Here it is.

I can shut off and or pick which GPU I want to run for the computer.
Attachments
DxDiag.txt
(91.31 KiB) Downloaded 1 time
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

if it uses the onboard one, it will crash

Intel(R) HD Graphics 530

Dedicated Memory: 128 MB Shared Memory: 8131 MB

which isn't the problem btw, it's the fact that both use shared memory and that's you systems max

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060

Dedicated Memory: 6084 MB
Shared Memory: 8131 MB

if you can disable the onboard card, and make the Nvidia one the main system one, the game will work fine, it's a common problem with dual chip laptops, with some working better than others with certain games, it's not an issue of the game as such, just hardware i'm sorry to say.

if you do as it says in the link, as make the dedi card the main one for the game, and or disable the onboard one in either bios or hardware, if it works on a reboot it will be fixed, if it doesn't, then you have one that doesn't like a given game because of hardware and a inability to disable the onboard part of the GPU, which is a shared CPU hybrid
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

also have you updated the game to the latest version?

tm.asp?m=3858792

been tested by more than a few members and staff on windows 10 pc with no errors, so it does work if you can alter the onboard video, good luck
webhop

Post by webhop »

Unfortunately I already knew how to turn off the integrated graphics as set forth in the link, and I tried that before posting. The game performed exactly the same no matter which graphics card was turned on. I also made sure that the settings for the game matched the graphics card I had turned on for the computer. The game is also patched up to the most recent edition. Do you have any other suggestions? I really want to get this to run.
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

only other thing is to uninstall again, and wipe folder and registry clean, then reinstall to another place

eg

C:\game\

and install with right click run as admin, and once installed and patched, alter shortcut to run as admin, or right click and run as admin each and every time you load and see if that helps, if not, then try support and log a ticket, but not sure what else to offer tbh, as it should have worked fine[:(]
zakblood

Post by zakblood »

just put it back on testing, as this is the 3rd time i've done it now, and will test another 10 turns and see how i get on and post the results

tm.asp?m=4331036&mpage=1&key=&#4331047
rickier65

Post by rickier65 »

ORIGINAL: webhop

Unfortunately I already knew how to turn off the integrated graphics as set forth in the link, and I tried that before posting. The game performed exactly the same no matter which graphics card was turned on. I also made sure that the settings for the game matched the graphics card I had turned on for the computer. The game is also patched up to the most recent edition. Do you have any other suggestions? I really want to get this to run.

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. I'm not sure I'll be able to help, but we can try to identify what's happening. In the root folder of the game there is a folder named logs. that folder contains log files that are named with a date. each day you play the game a new log file is created with that days info.

If you can run the game, then when it crashes, look at the log file. the lines in the file have time stamps and messages about what various things the game is doing. Checking that file for around the time the crash occurs might give you a clue.

Or if you can post the file here I will look at it.

I would try this with the tutorial, as that is fairly quick game to load and play a few turns.

thanks
Rick

Return to “Tech Support”