Deliverance - Deploying Troops

Command: Northern Inferno is a DLC for Command: Modern Operations. Set in 1975, the Cold War is omnipresent and beneath the veneer of détente the tension between the two superpowers irreversibly escalate towards the ultimate confrontation.

Moderator: MOD_Command

Darkwing

Deliverance - Deploying Troops

Post by Darkwing »

How do I land my airborne marines at the Landing Zones? I can fly my helos with marines on them onto the landing zones...but then what?
gilmaor

RE: Deliverance - Deploying Troops

Post by gilmaor »

I would also like to know.
jmarso

RE: Deliverance - Deploying Troops

Post by jmarso »

Just finished this scenario, and it confused the heck out of me once I made it to Iceland.

When the amphib task force moves inside the 'amphib zone' waypoints, a bunch of land units appeared automatically- I think this was to simulate the Marines hitting the beach. After that I had a devil of a time figuring out what to do to get any points. The solution was to build an ASUW (land) patrol mission encompassing the area around Reykjavik and Kef, and adding a bunch of airplanes, helos with weapons, and the ground forces to it and turning them loose. A couple recon birds will act as spotters, making enemy ground units show up. I also added a bombardment (land strike) mission using the Iowa group and added fixed targets for those 16 inchers.

Last but not least, I moved the two carrier groups close enough so that the whole area was under their AA umbrella. Getting there chewed up my whole force of Crusaders; for the first 2/3 of the scenario I was even anything that would carry air to air missiles as fighters to turn back raids.

This scenario took me the better part of a whole day to beat (a real day- not a game day). Can't even count how many times I got nuked out of existence way over by Greenland. In the end I drove all three task forces together and brought them in basically as one, in order to pool resources and shrink the area I needed to defend against enemy air and subs. Sort of a Mahanian solution, but it did the trick.

Return to “Command: Northern Inferno”