Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Air leaders

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Air leaders Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Air leaders - 7/31/2017 12:20:26 PM   
tyronec

For air missions does it matter where your HQ unit is, for example running a bombing mission where some of the air bases are within 5 hexes and others not. Am guessing just the airbase from which the attack is done matters but is that the way it works ?

As airbases are supplied from railheads am guessing the leader makes no difference for that ?

The lark, signing its chirping hymn,
Soars high above the clouds;
Meanwhile, the nightingale intones
With sweet, mellifluous sounds.
Post #: 1
RE: Air leaders - 7/31/2017 12:29:25 PM   
Stelteck

I had an experience some weeks ago in my game i want to share here.

I used BAK HQ and air base under long range command to perform offensive operation during my turn.

I had one airfield full of Pe-2 and SB-2 and was using it to perform raid on enemy divisions. The weather was bad, it was raining.
First Raid : Zero damage.
Second Raid : Zero damage.
Third Raid : Zero damage. (Really, zero).

It was too strange so i checked around to see what is happening. Level bomber are bad at ground bombing but i was at least expecting killing a little.

Then i noticed the Air HQ was really far away, like 15 Hex away from the airfield.

So i moved the air HQ close to the airbase, then performed 2 more raids :

60 men and 2 guns killed and some damaged too.
80 men and 4 guns killed and some damaged too.

So i think the air HQ is definitely important for performing air operation.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 2
RE: Air leaders - 7/31/2017 1:19:56 PM   
Telemecus

You can actually check this as in the supply details of the unit card it does show you the percentage chances of passing a ratings check. So try moving the headquarters around to see how it is altered. AFAIK it should be the same as for ground units. I understand (now) that the first level HQ (usually FliegerKorps etc) does not matter how far or near it is. But the next highest level air HQ (usually Lft etc.) has the best ratings impact if it is 1 hex away, next one after that two hexes away etc. I have assumed till now that passing admin ratings checks means fewer aircraft damaged (e.g. take-off/landing, well-maintained aircraft) whereas the air rating makes the difference to the combat result.

Also I think, but can be corrected, that airbases can still be supplied in the first supply segment by their HQs. So the HQs could make a difference to supply, but not as much as they do for ground combat units which do not have HQ status. If this is not the case, and distance to first level HQs makes no difference, you might as well keep all the flieger korps HQs in Berlin otherwise.

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 3
RE: Air leaders - 7/31/2017 1:50:25 PM   
tyronec

Thanks guys, very helpful.

I thought this clause applied, but maybe not:
V1.08.09
Airbases will not resupply through HQs, only individually, as if they were more than 20 MP or 5 hexes from their HQ (without penalties).

(in reply to Telemecus)
Post #: 4
RE: Air leaders - 7/31/2017 1:57:56 PM   
Telemecus

quote:

ORIGINAL: tyronec
I thought this clause applied, but maybe not:
V1.08.09
Airbases will not resupply through HQs, only individually, as if they were more than 20 MP or 5 hexes from their HQ (without penalties).

Actually that was quoted by someone else in another thread - and someone else said that nevertheless now they could be. There were no posts after that. So for me this was my last reading of the rules, but I have doubts because of someone else's statement. So if anyone can definitively confirm or refute this would be helpful. If this is correct then is there any use at all for Flieger Korps HQs being moved? I think any confirmation or refutation needs to include any explanation of why you would move them anywhere at all.

Edit: found the thread where it was discussed http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=4268374

< Message edited by Telemecus -- 7/31/2017 2:08:04 PM >

(in reply to tyronec)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> Air leaders Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI