Directed Energy (Laser) and Kinetic (Railgun) Weapons

Take command of air and naval assets from post-WW2 to the near future in tactical and operational scale, complete with historical and hypothetical scenarios and an integrated scenario editor.

Moderator: MOD_Command

01LordCool10

Directed Energy (Laser) and Kinetic (Railgun) Weapons

Post by 01LordCool10 »

I am trying to do some data modding for a custom scenario I was making for myself which includes laser and railgun weapons. However when it came to looking at the data I am completely unable to find anything pertaining to the actual power output of the lasers. The only data I could find is the warhead damage points, in which case all the lasers appear to be set at 2.4 kW output (2.4 DP), even the ones with comments like 100 kW, 60 kW etc. are all set to 2.4 kW, which is far too low for any potential laser weapon.

Also where are the muzzle velocity data for the guns? There only seems to be data relating missile and rocket speeds. I can't find anything that determines initial projectile speeds from guns.

I am looking in the DB3K file. Am I missing something or looking in the wrong place ? Either that or all guns have identical hard coded muzzle velocities which is disappointing.
Dimitris

RE: Directed Energy (Laser) and Kinetic (Railgun) Weapons

Post by Dimitris »

Hi,

Are you trying to alter database values? This is not supported on the commercial version of Command.
AlphaSierra

Post by AlphaSierra »

seems a little goofy Matrix wont sell me the Pro version, is the store open or not?
I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

ORIGINAL: AlphaSierra

seems a little goofy Matrix wont sell me the Pro version, is the store open or not?

The Pro versions just for, well, Pros. It is not intended for sale to the general public as it contains capabilities that are intended only for real world defense users, chiefly defense contractors and armed forces.

Also, from what I understand, the Pro version is very, VERY expensive.
AlphaSierra

Post by AlphaSierra »

Translation: yeah so the stores not open.
I wish to have no connection with any ship that does not sail fast; for I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones
Sardaukar

Post by Sardaukar »

If you are not professional military entity or defence contractor company, you cannot get Pro-version. Period.
"To meaningless French Idealism, Liberty, Fraternity and Equality...we answer with German Realism, Infantry, Cavalry and Artillery" -Prince von Bülov, 1870-

Ilias

Post by Ilias »

ORIGINAL: Sardaukar

If you are not professional military entity or defence contractor company, you cannot get Pro-version. Period.
This is so ridiculous,
what difference for the matrix will players be able to buy it or not, only huge profit which they missing.
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

ORIGINAL: Ilias

This is so ridiculous,
what difference for the matrix will players be able to buy it or not, only huge profit which they missing.

I'm sorry, but you simply do not understand.

Remember, the version that you and I play was created before the Professional version was created.

CMANO is not a case of a military grade program being cut down for the consumer market, it is the opposite. It is a case of a quality consumer product having modifications to make it realistically usable for the world's armed forces, and those who create their equipment.

In short, the extensions to CMANO in the Professional version are not for civilian consumers because they are intended for Real World professionals concerned with the actual stuff CMANO portrays to use the system with classified datapoints and capabilities, stuff that would never be allowed in a commercial product for blatantly obvious reasons.

For example, the F-22 Raptor you and I can use in CMANO is partially speculative in terms of it's capabilities, because much of the real aircraft is classified. The CMANO Professional allows the USAF to punch in the real capabilities and experiment with differnet tactics against known and potential future threats based on data that can be provided by them from, say, the CIA, on things like China's J-20 Stealth aircraft or Russia's PAK T-50.

We can fight those battles ourselves, but it is not with the real specs and capabilities, as the respective countries have that stuff marked top secret.

Also, one of the things in the Professional version now is Hypersonic Glide Vehicles. Very little about them is not top secret, so that is why it is not in the commercial CMANO.

We, the general consumer, are not being cut out of stuff for greedy reasons, or because matrix is trying to lose money, it is because these capabilities are not for us, they are for the real professionals.

CMANO is great enough as it is, and I am pleased that real militaries are also making good use of it to improve their own capabilities. It can't remember where at the moment, but I rememember at one point reading that something like CMANO Professional allows real Air Forces and Navies to test out tactics, capabilities and doctrines without always needing to expend the large costs of physical exercises with real ships, aircraft, munitions and personnel. CMANO Professional offers a nice way for militaries to improve themselves while saving some money in the lone run.

I can easily see CMANO professional being used very effectively by institutions such as the US Naval War College, the US Naval Academy, and the Britannia Royal Naval College, like how the US Naval Academy used Jane's Fleet Command for a time.

And with WarfareSims being able to offer their services to such large customers, the revenue they get likely filters back to a certain degree to improving and maintaining our commercial version as well.
Ilias

Post by Ilias »

ORIGINAL: HalfLifeExpert
I'm sor..
No, i did understand that, point of what i'm saying is not releasing the data to public, which i guies developers even do not have access to (consumers add it on their end as i understand),
point is in keeping all the available abilities in the game accessible to all it's users,
not restricting it just because of idea "they probably do not need it" [:)] .
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

Consumers really don't need such capabilities in CMANO. The consumer version offers more than enough capabilities for consumers to spend thousands of hours of enjoyment.

All you would realistically get is the ability to edit stuff in the database. But come on, there is plenty in the database to work with, and new stuff is usually added for free in each major update.

Plus, from some of the stuff I read in the past week, the developers had some bad experiences from user database editing in the past, in the Harpoon 3 days, so that is why the Commercial CMANO Databases are locked. They just don't want to deal with that anymore. That is probably why they limit DB editing to themselves and those real world customers who can be trusted as the stuff they edit they have every reason to keep to themselves.
Ilias

Post by Ilias »

Consu..
Yeah, coming to mind situations[:)], but its bit fun what while the game is not Wargame like onlined, how can technically be serious problem editing of databases by players for themselves ) ?,
missing what ,depend on what i know, sure what will never agree with restriction of editing of databases, by alot of different reasons[:)]:
nothing bad if its only difference (not main, "only"), I mean't other,: do not coming in mind what its only difference,
incredibly sad example is: Arma and VBS by Bohemia Interactive, while Arma is just open ~realistic simulator, VBS letting play in warfare, not in game about parts of warfare, with abilities to control surrounding, situation modeling tools, crash systems and system which handling maps with hundreds of kilometers of territory, compared to arma's ~20x20, in addition to huge amount of other things :'(
However, while watching on the community becoming obvious what developers of Command cares about keeping their game appropriate much, much more then BI, so staying with hope what the awesome game will go in its development straight to betterness, do not loosing its main points, versionwide [:)]
HalfLifeExpert

Post by HalfLifeExpert »

I honestly do not understand that post. I'm being completely honest, and am not trying to insult you.

Is English not your primary language? That is okay, but I find this a little odd since I had no trouble understanding your previous two posts.
Ilias

Post by Ilias »

I honestly do not understand that post. I'm being completely honest, and am not trying to insult you.

Is English not your primary language? That is okay, but I find this a little odd since I had no trouble understanding your previous two posts.
hmmm..
'
Yeah, coming to mind unlikeable situations which could happen because of players having ability to edit databases,
but, its bit fun: while the game is not Wargame™ like onlined--how technically can present any serious problems with editing of databases by players for themselves?,
do not placing attention to:
_ depending on what i know, i'm sure what by alot of different reasons will never agree with restriction of editing of databases
! nothing bad if its alone difference (not main, "alone"), !
I mean't other,: do not coming in mind what its alone difference,
incredibly sad example is:
Arma and VBS by Bohemia Interactive, while Arma is just open ~realistic basic simulator, VBS have abilities to control surrounding, situation modeling tools, crash systems and system which able to handle maps with hundreds of kilometers of territory, in comparison to arma's ~20x20km, in addition to huge amount of other things :'(
(they made arma limited, unserious, small sandbox, while the inaccessible VBS have all opportunities,functions which is needed for serious warfare simulation)

However, while watching on the community, understanding what developers of Command cares about |keeping their game appropriate| much, much more then BI,
so staying with hope what the awesome game will go in its development straight to betterness, in process do not loosing its main points, versionwide [:)]
'
better ?
Ilias

Post by Ilias »

ORIGINAL: Ilias

This is so ridiculous,
*Edit: Not only monetary profit, also benefits like popularity, but mainly interest of playing (do not think what no one from dev. team really playing in the game ) )
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn »

You think you want editable database, but you don't.

As far as realism is concerned, you won't find more reliable public-access data about units than what is already in the game, and developers keep the database up to date when new stuff is released. So there isn't really an issue of being unable to give a unit its "true" performance, because it's already there. And if you have better data, you're likely some government or military-industrial complex insider who can buy the pro version anyway.

So this only leaves your ability to tweak a unit's features as you like, usually in some unrealistic way... but this would turn into a nightmare for the dev team. Tech support already has to deal with bug reports, fake bugs, scenario bugs, lua bugs, features that are taken as bugs, simple misunderstandings and so on, all stuff that is to be expected with a game so complex... and on top of that, they would have to take into account user ability to edit the database, which would obviously introduce a whole new swathe of user-made bugs. "Yes hello I have to report this bug, my script is not working as intended and there's something odd with unit behaviour... oh did I mention that I edited that frigate to run at the speed of light and that f-35 to fly underwater at -3000 ft? What do you mean you can't help me because I edited them? Then why have the feature in the first place? I paid good money for this game etc. etc. etc."
Ilias

Post by Ilias »

ORIGINAL: Grazyn
As far as realism is concerned, you won't find more reliable public-access data about units than what is already in the game, and developers keep the database up to date when new stuff is released. So there isn't really an issue of being unable to give a unit its "true" performance, because it's already there. And if you have better data, you're likely some government or military-industrial complex insider who can buy the pro version anyway.
and in case of discrepancy it can be reported to devs for fixing.
As far as its all true, it:
So this only leaves your ability to tweak a unit's features -..- in some unrealistic way...
is true too and that way it can be right [;)]
Zaslon

Post by Zaslon »

I do not understand the answers in this thread.

You cannot tell any other user what he want or what he need. That's called Freedom. [X(]
This kind of attitudes are commonly used in communist countries, where other people (Nomenklatura) decides where you must work, what do you need and of course, tell you what you must think.

If someone has the money...Why not sell it the Pro version?
That's called Capitalism. [:)] Have the money? go ahead!

With the fall of the Soviet Union, we forget some important terms and we are losing by the way important rights.

P.S. Of course WarfareSims has the choice to sell or not to sell. But I don't understant why you are telling Ilias what he need and what not. THat's simple. If he has the money...Use it if you want.
Kids think about Iran and Amateurs think about Russia, but professionals think about China
Ilias

Post by Ilias »

ORIGINAL: Zaslon
I do not unders..
Thank you ! :)

But freewilly agreed about the databases, ability to edit them (for me at least) is only needeable to be sure everything is close to real as possible.
However, actually, the game do have some issues which could be soluted by editable databases, such as: ground units's limitations (they obviously require customization opportunities)
Grazyn

Post by Grazyn »

I do not understand the answers in this thread.

You cannot tell any other user what he want or what he need. That's called Freedom. [X(]
This kind of attitudes are commonly used in communist countries, where other people (Nomenklatura) decides where you must work, what do you need and of course, tell you what you must think.

If someone has the money...Why not sell it the Pro version?
That's called Capitalism. [:)] Have the money? go ahead!

With the fall of the Soviet Union, we forget some important terms and we are losing by the way important rights.

P.S. Of course WarfareSims has the choice to sell or not to sell. But I don't understant why you are telling Ilias what he need and what not. THat's simple. If he has the money...Use it if you want.
I want to be able to purchase an Apple product and easily tweak it as I like, down to hardware components and firmware, but I can't, and no amount of money will make Apple give me what I want. Does that make Apple a communist company? I explained what are the likely reasons why the devs don't want to release the "edit database" feature to the general public, Ilias may have all the money in the world but it won't make them change their mind as long as they believe that the end result would just be more headaches and bug reports. Forcing a private company to make decisions against their will... that's communism.
Ilias

Post by Ilias »

It does make apple monarchic company, as they sharing only what gives them profit, in process do not caring about anything including their customers
(not only because of it, they have alot of reasons for hate :) ),
but lexically they are capitalist because peoples buying their production by wish so the company have right to act like that.
It does not making company monarchic lexically,
but is no limitations exist on how open and responsive company and it's actions can be

The world's advancement processes would be much faster with more openness everywhere.

Return to “Command: Modern Operations series”