Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A remake???

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A remake??? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A remake??? - 7/25/2017 2:14:41 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Trugrit

wdolson – thanks for your support of this game.

Pax

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 31
RE: A remake??? - 7/25/2017 3:13:09 PM   
General Patton

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

....GP

Intel i7 3.4GHz,8GB Ram,1920x1080 rez

WPO,WITP,WITPAE-Mod Designer/Tester
DW Series-Beta Tester
TotS-Alpha Tester
TOAW4-Alpha/Beta Tester

I don't like paying for the same real estate twice..Gen. George S. Patton

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 32
RE: A remake??? - 7/25/2017 3:30:51 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Patton

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

....GP

Amen for sure ...

Attachment (1)

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to General Patton)
Post #: 33
RE: A remake??? - 7/25/2017 9:42:15 PM   
Tusler@Matrix

I really wish someone would make a written click by click tutorial of one of the shorter scenario's. I am old, had this game on my hardrive for like 10 years, tried playing some and got so confused and lost.
It looks like a great game and I have watched alot of youtube but then I go to play and forget what happened on the video...the joys of getting older lol.
Well maybe someday it will click.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before it's too Late!

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 34
RE: A remake??? - 7/25/2017 11:05:03 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tusler@Matrix

I really wish someone would make a written click by click tutorial of one of the shorter scenario's. I am old, had this game on my hardrive for like 10 years, tried playing some and got so confused and lost.
It looks like a great game and I have watched alot of youtube but then I go to play and forget what happened on the video...the joys of getting older lol.
Well maybe someday it will click.

Click by click would be a huge undertaking. There is a currently a good one ongoing about the Thousand Mile War (Aleutians campaign). Lots of good maps and other graphics to show what he did and what outcomes were.

I am a geezer myself and find that I have to scan the whole grand campaign map each turn to see what things I need to do. No way can I remember and hop from place to place like some guys here! That said, getting started has a lot to do with just clicking away and finding out what each of the many switches, buttons and hypertext links do. Then, once you have fiddled with the interface enough to remember most of what you need to use, just start a simple scenario and try different ideas. No harm if something you did is a disaster, you can restart from the pre-turn save and change what you did, then see if that avoided the disaster!
It also helps to know some history of the War in the Pacific. When I started learning with the Coral Sea scenario I just tried to duplicate what the Allies did in real life. After the first time through I changed a few things and played again - it was still great fun.

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Tusler@Matrix)
Post #: 35
RE: A remake??? - 7/26/2017 4:48:38 AM   
Tusler@Matrix

Thanks I'll find Thousand Mile War (Aleutians campaign) and check it out.

Ask Jesus for Forgiveness before it's too Late!

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 36
RE: A remake??? - 7/27/2017 3:19:19 AM   
TOMLABEL

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson
quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
Don't forget in all this - Gary Grigsby holds the copyright to the game concept so if you want to use the general system of the current game, you must get him on board - and he has said he wouldn't do another one because WITP-AE was so complex (probably a lot of arguing about the necessary compromises).
There would also be a hefty copyright fee ...

...the people who did AE are just too busy with other things these days. To develop a new wargame like this, and to do it right, you need a team of people who are passionate about the minutiae of the theater the game is going to cover as well as incredibly organized and willing to spend hours on mind numbing work getting all the numbers right for every unit. Then it would help a lot to get a crew of programmers who also know a lot about what they are simulating. I drew on my knowledge of the war, warfare in general, and engineering of war machines when I was writing code for the game. Everyone involved was also intimately knowledgeable about the existing WitP engine and what it could do.

Bill

All true, Bill.

Although not nearly as complex as the coding for AE was, creating the artwork to accompany the existing and new units, ships, maps, map symbols, alternating ship and plane art is still a time consuming effort in itself. Glad I'm not a coder!

I think the stars aligned for AE. It was 'special' to say the least. A great group who had intimate knowledge of all the different aspects of everything you thought you knew and an expertise of what you had never thought of before. It was amazing. Many came and went during that time, but all contributed greatly to what is AE. Not sure if that can be duplicated again, but I hope so!

Thanks to all!

TOMALABEL

Art by the Rogue-USMC

WITP Admiral's Edition - Ship & Sub Art - Base Unit Art - Map Icon Art

"If destruction be our lot - it will come from within"...Abraham Lincoln

(in reply to wdolson)
Post #: 37
RE: A remake??? - 7/27/2017 7:25:34 AM   
RisingSun

Well once I get some projects done here, a board game and some addon xpac along with it, I may look into it. I do have some skills and very creative person with ideas, etc.

There a place I can go in that help me design my own games, but wasn't sure if they can help me time to time and there no telling how long this projects can take. I am almost 50yrs old. Doing stuffs like this alone, can be a lot of timing. Like Gary, he did it. So if he can do it, then we can too. Only if you have the time, skills and patience.

Don't care about the money, but it help to pay the bills tho.

(in reply to TOMLABEL)
Post #: 38
RE: A remake??? - 7/27/2017 5:46:13 PM   
rustysi

quote:

“Just hiring a team of programmers in Russia or India probably won't get you a very good game engine……”

Or worse, the game design could fall to a young American programmer.

This is why I don’t want to see an AE2.

First, I think the world outside our game, and there is one, has passed us by for AE 2. This game is difficult; it takes applied skills and knowledge acquired through experience. Most people today don’t want difficult, they want instant gratification.

Also, I don’t want to see an AE2 because they will give the game design to some hot shot twenty something computer programmer whose last project was the Muppets attack the Fantastic Four, or some crap like that, and doesn’t know Batavia from Buna or thinks Kyushu is a Sushi bar in Chinatown.

I don’t want to see this game screwed up by some can’t we all just get along whiz kid programmer who, as educated in the current American school system, think social justice trigger warnings are more important than the actual brutal written history. Some of these kids have never even seen a picture of an amphibious ship. When I tell some of my friends kids that I’ve fired a 50 caliber machine gun and thrown live hand grenades they look at me like I was from outer space and I’m not even a combat veteran.

Most of you who play this game know more about the Pacific War and have spent more time thinking about it than the people who actually fought in it. My father, who fought in the Philippines, spent three years in the Pacific fighting the Japanese and then almost 60 years trying hard to forget the horror of it.

If this game goes to an AE2 I want some of you guys or the original team to design it and I don’t think that is going to happen so be glad for what you have right now.

+1

As I'm sure I've said before, 'be careful what you wish for...'

It is seldom that liberty of any kind is lost all at once. Hume

In every party there is one member who by his all-too-devout pronouncement of the party principles provokes the others to apostasy. Nietzsche

Cave ab homine unius libri. Ltn Prvb

(in reply to Trugrit)
Post #: 39
RE: A remake??? - 7/31/2017 9:32:13 PM   
bazjak

All I would like is to play it on my win 10
Can't seem to get any of the switches to work for me

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 40
RE: A remake??? - 7/31/2017 9:50:38 PM   
Korvar

quote:

ORIGINAL: bazjak

All I would like is to play it on my win 10
Can't seem to get any of the switches to work for me

What is the complete path to your WitPAE folder?

For instance, mine is:
D:\Non Steam Games\War in the Pacific - Admiral's Edition\

(in reply to bazjak)
Post #: 41
RE: A remake??? - 8/1/2017 4:34:37 PM   
Yaab

I don't want a remake! I want a duplicate self who can play the original!

(in reply to Korvar)
Post #: 42
RE: A remake??? - 8/1/2017 6:04:16 PM   
chemkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

... who comes to your room for bedtime and tells a tale of great struggle with every detail and setting you'd need to survive 'til the bitter end - sleep well and sweet dreams my friend.

cheers!
chem!

(in reply to Yaab)
Post #: 43
RE: A remake??? - 8/1/2017 6:32:58 PM   
Admiral DadMan

quote:

ORIGINAL: chemkid

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yaab

... who comes to your room for bedtime and tells a tale of great struggle with every detail and setting you'd need to survive 'til the bitter end - sleep well and sweet dreams my friend.

cheers!
chem!

That was a coffee spitter for sure!

A Lion uses all its might to catch a Rabbit
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

Saratoga's ultimate re-build:

(in reply to chemkid)
Post #: 44
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: A remake??? Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI