Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Iain et all.....

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Iain et all..... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Iain et all..... - 7/14/2017 3:11:58 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Watch and revive "War of the Lance" if you can in today's graphics and modern techniques.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0reHLHGyQnM&t=1810s
Post #: 1
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/14/2017 2:13:13 PM   
Red2112

Yeah, I watched them before, thank you!

Aside that I really enjoyed reading the Dragonlance Chronicles among other Margaret Weis/Tracy Hickman titles as well as the Dragonlance preludes (Paul B. Thompson - Tonya R. Carter). It all started when I first played "Bauldurs Gate" when it first came out and the whole D&D role playing thingy

To be honest, I found that Margaret´s narrative style was more fast paced then J.R.R.Tolkien, but that´s my opinion. The Dragonlance saga and the Forgotten Realms really captivated me at the time, great read if you like this genre.

Actually the first full Hobbit movie was a cartoon movie from 1977.

"Fire and Ice" is also cool and has the great Frank Frazetta and Ralph Bakshi tandem behind it (Wizards 1977-Ralph Bakshi). Iam a big fan of Frank Frazetta and Boris Vallejo´s art work! I wish I could draw like them!

Fire and Ice...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v26rUX16cZM

--

< Message edited by Red2112 -- 7/14/2017 2:36:47 PM >

Win10(x64), i5 3570k @ 3.4Ghz, 8GB ram, Zotac GTX 660 2GB, Logitech G13, G502, Razer Kraken USB.

(in reply to aaatoysandmore)
Post #: 2
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/20/2017 6:23:08 AM   
aaatoysandmore

What I was really referring to was the wargame made back in the 80's called "War of the Lance". It was made with this saga in mind. One of the best fantasy wargames I ever played and if it got a modern update with that same AI it would be awesome I think.

I do remember the books from the Dragonlance series like Dragons of different seasons and Wanderlust. Great reads like the wargame. Dave Landry and Chuck Koegal I think made the original game and it was made before its time I think.

(in reply to Red2112)
Post #: 3
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/20/2017 1:21:59 PM   
Iain McNeil

If a developer comes to us with a game like that we'd be happy to talk to them! We don't really set the high level design unless its a licensed game or internal development. The developers usually come to us with that already in place.

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

Post #: 4
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/20/2017 7:12:46 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

What I was really referring to was the wargame made back in the 80's called "War of the Lance". It was made with this saga in mind. One of the best fantasy wargames I ever played and if it got a modern update with that same AI it would be awesome I think. ... Dave Landry and Chuck Koegal I think made the original game and it was made before its time I think.

Yes, War of the Lance was Landrey & Kroegel and was actually an oddball amongst their Civil War line (Battle of Antietam, Gettysburg the Turning Point, Rebel Charge at Chickamagua, Shiloh: Grant's Trail in West), which culminated in a still highly praised "Battles of Napoleon." But then again Sons of Liberty, kind of stuck out too!

I loved the system, but then again I also loved their previous system as shown in Operation Market Garden & Breakthrough in the Ardennes.

I really haven't gotten into their prior almost-hybrid (or "hybrid if you want") system as shown in Road to Gettysburg & Napoleon's Campaigns 1813 & 1815.

And of course, they originally called themselves "Tactical Design Group" and developed still-very early titles like Knights of the Desert and Battle for Normandy and Tigers in the Snow (not to be confused with HPS' Tigers on the Prowl or Matrix's Tigers on the Hunt *grin*).

When they broke up the band, it was a loss for SSI and myself, if not the world! Although Landrey went on to form Novastar and spit out scenario disks for the games (especially, if not exclusively for Battles of Napoleon), and I think Kroegel is still in charge now, over at Lock n Load games.

(note: Edited the >worst< of the typos)

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by E -- 7/20/2017 7:15:00 PM >

"Lose" is the opposite of "win." "Loose" is the opposite of "tight."

How exactly, are you "like" OMG? You weren't thinking it? You weren't exclaiming it? You were actually LIKE it?
How does that work?

Post #: 5
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/21/2017 2:56:15 AM   
aaatoysandmore

All wonderful titles and plays as you know but, War of the Lance was always my favorite and Battles of Napoleon 2nd.

Was just a hope and a thought this game could come back into print in a newer more modern version.

Iain you don't have any contact with Dave or Chuck? Maybe seeing about getting the rights to remake or something?

(in reply to E)
Post #: 6
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/21/2017 8:28:55 AM   
cantona2

This would be awesome!

1966 was a great year for English Football...Eric was born

Banner by rogueusmc

Post #: 7
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/21/2017 1:49:10 PM   
Erik Rutins

I played and enjoyed the original. I'm sure there is room for a similar modern fantasy wargame.

Erik Rutins
Director of Product Development

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to cantona2)
Post #: 8
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/21/2017 5:03:37 PM   
Greybriar

I enjoyed playing War of the Lance back in the days of DOS. I would happily play it again if it were updated and ran on modern operating systems.

This war is not about slavery. --Robert E. Lee

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 9
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/21/2017 5:10:34 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Greybriar
I enjoyed playing War of the Lance back in the days of DOS. I would happily play it again if it were updated and ran on modern operating systems.

It originally came out for the Apple II and the Communist Sexless Fore, I mean C64.

< Message edited by E -- 7/22/2017 5:55:09 PM >

How exactly, are you "like" OMG? You weren't thinking it? You weren't exclaiming it? You were actually LIKE it?
How does that work?

(in reply to Greybriar)
Post #: 10
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/21/2017 6:23:40 PM   
Capitaine

I loved the games back in the day. But taking off the nostalgia glasses I would never play such simplistic games nowadays. Now, the subject matter and style of play remains appealing to me, but going back to PC antiquity doesn't.

(in reply to E)
Post #: 11
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/21/2017 6:28:59 PM   
Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: E

quote:

How were you able to do that? (it only came out for the Apple II and the Communist Sexless Fore, I mean C64)

Wikipedia says it is for MS-DOS too (though nothing about PC, and MS-DOS was also available for other computers like MSX)

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MekWars

(in reply to E)
Post #: 12
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/21/2017 7:08:04 PM   
E

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
quote:

ORIGINAL: E
quote:

It originally came out for the Apple II and the Communist Sexless Fore, I mean C64.

Wikipedia says it is for MS-DOS too (though nothing about PC, and MS-DOS was also available for other computers like MSX)

Yes, years later (which seems odd... porting a game so late in its sales cycle).

< Message edited by E -- 7/22/2017 5:54:45 PM >

How does that work?

(in reply to Matti Kuokkanen)
Post #: 13
RE: Iain et all..... - 7/22/2017 7:36:20 AM   
aaatoysandmore

Simplistic? You obviously never played "War of the Lance" it has one of the best AI's and difficulty levels of all games to date. It's no pushover to beat the Highlord and the game can change from game to game because the diplomacy is soo good. It has one of the best diplomacy features of any game to date. Don't let the graphics fool you this game has a lot of depth.

(in reply to Capitaine)
Post #: 14
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Iain et all..... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote