Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Maritime Navigation

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Maritime Navigation Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/13/2017 8:43:24 PM   
dr.hal

Or you could just follow, albeit at a distance, the ship ahead!

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 31
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/13/2017 9:00:43 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: dr.hal

Ever hear of Honda Point?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to dr.hal)
Post #: 32
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/13/2017 9:26:13 PM   
dr.hal

Indeed I have. It's talked about at SWO School. My key words are "at a distance"......

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 33
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/14/2017 4:54:36 AM   
sanch

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton
When you are running coastwise-which is what the majority of shipping traffic is doing at any given time, you just made use of running fixes by taking bearings of known lights and geographical fixtures. It is pretty simple to do.

Yep. bearings from coastal features works great, until the fog rolls in.

Happened to me once crossing Massachusetts Bay. Dead reckoned via speed and bearing, and wound up a good 3-4 miles off after a 50-mile run from Gloucester to the Cape Cod Canal.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 34
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/14/2017 5:37:42 AM   
wdolson

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

Like a mass beaching of whales.

WitP AE - Test team lead, programmer

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 35
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/14/2017 6:09:42 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanch

quote:

When you are running coastwise-which is what the majority of shipping traffic is doing at any given time, you just made use of running fixes by taking bearings of known lights and geographical fixtures. It is pretty simple to do.

Happened to me once crossing Massachusetts Bay. Dead reckoned via speed and bearing, and wound up a good 3-4 miles off after a 50-mile run from Gloucester to the Cape Cod Canal.

Yes, but if you eventually found your way home then you did a great job and have a good sea story to boot...

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to sanch)
Post #: 36
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/14/2017 6:59:57 PM   
BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: sanch

quote:

Yes, but if you eventually found your way home then you did a great job and have a good sea story to boot...

But the peanut gallery wants to know ... did your SHIP find its way home too?

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 37
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/14/2017 9:02:13 PM   
sanch

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy
But the peanut gallery wants to know ... did your SHIP find its way home too?

Yes, IIRC (this was probably 50 years ago - mid 60's) at about the same time the depth started shoaling fast, visibility went from 50 yards to perhaps 1/2 mile - enough to find landmarks and figure we were closer to Barnstable harbor than the canal entrance.

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 38
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/14/2017 10:04:00 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

And we know the difference between a fairy tale and a sea story . . .

The Moose

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 39
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/15/2017 12:34:32 AM   
BBfanboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

From 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Kirk Douglas sings:

"Iiii've a whale of a tale to tell you lads
A whale of a tale or two!
A whale of a tale and it's all true
I swear by my tattoo!

No matter how bad a situation is, you can always make it worse. - Chris Hadfield : An Astronaut's Guide To Life On Earth

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 40
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/15/2017 6:17:27 AM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: BBfanboy

quote:

quote:

From 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Kirk Douglas sings:

"Iiii've a whale of a tale to tell you lads
A whale of a tale or two!
A whale of a tale and it's all true
I swear by my tattoo!

Nope. USN vets know the answer. I don't know about Merchant Marine.

The Moose

(in reply to BBfanboy)
Post #: 41
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/17/2017 1:11:32 PM   
Lecivius

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zorch

quote:

I have some of the original photos of this. I posted a while back I got a scrap book from a groghead who was in just after the turn of the century. There are 35 or so actual aerial pictures of this.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

(in reply to Zorch)
Post #: 42
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/18/2017 9:57:46 AM   
Apollo11

Hi all,

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Just curious how they manage to get around in the ocean back in the 40's, esp the submarines. Using compass, but how can you tell what longitude and latitude and bring it down to degree, minutes and seconds.

Don't think they were using Mariner's Astrolabe lol.

Compass does help, but still need something to help them even accurate location. They didn't have computers back in the 40's?

Henning Umland has written a wonderful book on the subject titled A Short Guide to Celestial Navigation.

His site:
http://celnav.de/

PDF of the book is inside a .zip file:
http://celnav.de/astro.zip

I wholeheartedly suggest reading it!

Thanks!

Leo "Apollo11"

Prior Preparation & Planning Prevents Pathetically Poor Performance!

A & B: WitW, WitE, WbtS, GGWaW, GGWaW2-AWD, HttR, CotA, BftB, CF
P: UV, WitP, WitP-AE

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 43
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/26/2017 4:45:08 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

By the way, I just found a mod called "Wolves of Steel", for submarine simulator game "Silent Hunter V". You can find it in Subsim

So in this mod, you can select "Real Navigation" and then you will not see where you are in the map, unless you order your navigator to calculate position via celestial navigation (assuming good weather) or dead reckoning. There is also this automatic task function where you can request updates every 2 hours (5 celestial fixes, 7 dead reckons per day).

And the mod also allows you to calculate it manually, using an in-game sextant to measure the sun, moon or stars. You will also require an almanac for 1939-45 and a excel spreadsheet (or advanced knowledge in math). Latitude is calculated relatively easy (sextant + almanac) , while longitude requires the spreadsheet

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 7/26/2017 4:56:20 PM >

(in reply to Apollo11)
Post #: 44
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/26/2017 7:45:31 PM   
Bullwinkle58

Dead reckoning is done every day, every hour, every minute in RL. Doing one or at most two fixes a day would be a lot. A "noon sun" is easy, but most of the time subs were patrolling at PD at noon.

Except in AE. They're always on the surface there.

The Moose

(in reply to Jorge_Stanbury)
Post #: 45
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/27/2017 7:21:18 AM   
redindus69

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

By the way, I just found a mod called "Wolves of Steel", for submarine simulator game "Silent Hunter V". You can find it in Subsim

So in this mod, you can select "Real Navigation" and then you will not see where you are in the map, unless you order your navigator to calculate position via celestial navigation (assuming good weather) or dead reckoning. There is also this automatic task function where you can request updates every 2 hours (5 celestial fixes, 7 dead reckons per day).

And the mod also allows you to calculate it manually, using an in-game sextant to measure the sun, moon or stars. You will also require an almanac for 1939-45 and a excel spreadsheet (or advanced knowledge in math). Latitude is calculated relatively easy (sextant + almanac) , while longitude requires the spreadsheet

Interesting, need to look into that.

Thanks

Post #: 46
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/27/2017 11:55:11 AM   
Jorge_Stanbury

quote:

Dead reckoning is done every day, every hour, every minute in RL. Doing one or at most two fixes a day would be a lot. A "noon sun" is easy, but most of the time subs were patrolling at PD at noon.

In game this is kind of DR is assumed, what you get is a fix entered into the map at 2 hours intervals or anytime you ask for it. It also take only a minute or so, game time, while the celestial fix takes around 40 minutes, game time, and it alsways done at noon, midnight and 6am

Game also have an optional enigma machine, so a few important messages come in code, and you would need to use enigma to decode it.

Definitively recommended for any submarine simulation gamer; this is like an evolved SHIII-GWX mod

Important to mention, you need the non-steam version of the game to install the mod

< Message edited by Jorge_Stanbury -- 7/27/2017 12:12:00 PM >

Post #: 47
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/27/2017 2:05:14 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: rustysi

quote:

They didn't have computers back in the 40's?

Sure they did. Norden bombsite is an example. Various coding/decoding machines. All electromechanical, but computers none the less. Don't know of any for navigation though.

First analog computer was developed in 1938 (Philbrick). These were designed to solve derivative and integral equations using electronic circuits. Very efficient and very accurate.

Pax

(in reply to rustysi)
Post #: 48
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/27/2017 2:34:05 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

In game this is kind of DR is assumed, what you get is a fix entered into the map at 2 hours intervals or anytime you ask for it. It also take only a minute or so, game time, while the celestial fix takes around 40 minutes, game time, and it alsways done at noon, midnight and 6am

Game also have an optional enigma machine, so a few important messages come in code, and you would need to use enigma to decode it.

Definitively recommended for any submarine simulation gamer; this is like an evolved SHIII-GWX mod

Important to mention, you need the non-steam version of the game to install the mod

I played SH4 a fair bit years ago. Despite my much greater interest in the PTO and the USN sub war, I could never get past some of the design decisions they made. Always went back to SH3 Grey Wolves.

The sight reduction math for a fix takes some time and a bunch of books. Six hours would be OK. Weather decides when you can get a good set of shots. You have to be able to see a horizon to use a sextant, and that's often more limiting than the stars and overhead clarity.

From memory, but I think Enigma was purely Germans, The intercepts in the PTO were Magic. I think one other system too, but the name escapes me.

The Moose

Post #: 49
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/27/2017 2:59:20 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

I have played them all, In SHV you are a U-boat captain, the entire war would be played in a Type VII boat (in its few versions, so no Type II, IX or XXI)

The original game is a dog. they tried to add some role playing like morale or unrealistic special abilities
the boat is beautifully modeled and it is a living boat; you can walk (or teleport) from bow to stern, you can see the torpedo tubes being reloaded

The mod fixed all the arcade/ unrealistic abilities and it added 2 big wins and several small ones compared to SHIII-GWX:
- real navigation that adds a complete new dimension to manual targeting: you no longer know your exact position, only a guesstimate
- scripts that you can use to program the boat AI to perform: the two hour interval for map plotting was one example, there are others like search in a zig-zag pattern, with one PD dive to listen to hydrophones every hour. This can reduce the "chore" tasks and make the game more enjoyable

Post #: 50
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/27/2017 5:40:10 PM   
redindus69

quote:

I have played them all, In SHV you are a U-boat captain, the entire war would be played in a Type VII boat (in its few versions, so no Type II, IX or XXI)

The original game is a dog. they tried to add some role playing like morale or unrealistic special abilities
the boat is beautifully modeled and it is a living boat; you can walk (or teleport) from bow to stern, you can see the torpedo tubes being reloaded

The mod fixed all the arcade/ unrealistic abilities and it added 2 big wins and several small ones compared to SHIII-GWX:
- real navigation that adds a complete new dimension to manual targeting: you no longer know your exact position, only a guesstimate
- scripts that you can use to program the boat AI to perform: the two hour interval for map plotting was one example, there are others like search in a zig-zag pattern, with one PD dive to listen to hydrophones every hour. This can reduce the "chore" tasks and make the game more enjoyable

Interesting, I been wanted to try out playing the Japanese Campaign on those submarine simulation. I heard there a mod for that, but last time I checked they were slow and never gotten it done. Wish they had it setup so you can play either sides.

Post #: 51
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/27/2017 6:42:36 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

I saw V had the "always online" thing and that was it for me. I think for most players of I-IV.

The Moose

Post #: 52
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/27/2017 7:35:01 PM   
Jorge_Stanbury

SH-V started as "always online", but it is not the case anymore.

I am surprised you didn't like SH-IV; after adding realism and campaign mods, you get a very good game.. I remember playing it with historical campaign years ago. With it you can see all major operations in accurate dates and TF composition (examples: you can intercept the Japanese invasion of the Philippines if you are near Vigan in mid December 41, etc), plus you get very realistic (if random) convoys, so no more fleet destroyers low convoys, instead subchasers and armed merchants

Post #: 53
RE: Maritime Navigation - 7/27/2017 7:42:52 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

SH-V started as "always online", but it is not the case anymore.

I am surprised you didn't like SH-IV; after adding realism and campaign mods, you get a very good game.. I remember playing it with historical campaign years ago. With it you can see all major operations in accurate dates and TF composition (examples: you can intercept the Japanese invasion of the Philippines if you are near Vigan in mid December 41, etc), plus you get very realistic (if random) convoys, so no more fleet destroyers low convoys, instead subchasers and armed merchants

They got a lot of inside-the-boat stuff wrong. Not that big a deal to someone who didn't serve in the USN. Not surprised as the team was Romanian as I recall.

They also didn't adequately deal with the distances re the long transit times. At the time my box would only accelerate to about 2000x.

At the time I quit they also hadn't fixed the local time/sunrise/still on Pearl time thing. The boat time was still on Pearl time and didn't agree with outside.

And the damage graphics were terrible. You could look right through the pressure hull and se the inside of the boat. It would have sunk long before.

The Moose

Post #: 54
RE: Maritime Navigation - 8/8/2017 3:10:18 AM   
witpqs

Cyberattacks on GPS leave ships sailing in dangerous waters

Post #: 55
RE: Maritime Navigation - 8/8/2017 8:54:34 PM   
Zorch

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Cyberattacks on GPS leave ships sailing in dangerous waters

Shudder.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 56
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: Maritime Navigation Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI