Photo Showing Earhart after plane vanished?

Gamers can also use this forum to chat about any game related subject, news, rumours etc.

Moderator: maddog986

decaro

Photo Showing Earhart after plane vanished?

Post by decaro »

from the History Channel:

"Buried in the National Archives for nearly 80 years, a newly rediscovered photo may hold the key to solving one of history’s all-time greatest mysteries.

"On July 2, 1937, near the end of her pioneering flight around the world, Amelia Earhart vanished somewhere over the Pacific Ocean. Most experts, including the Smithsonian’s Air and Space Museum, believe Earhart likely ran out of fuel and crashed into the Pacific Ocean. But no trace of the aviator, navigator Fred Noonan or her twin-engine Lockheed Electra airplane were ever found, confounding historians and fueling conspiracy theories ever since. Now, new evidence has surfaced in U.S. government archives suggesting Earhart might not have crashed into the Pacific at all, but crash-landed in the Marshall Islands, was captured by the Japanese military and died while being held prisoner on the island of Saipan...."

http://www.history.com/news/does-this-p ... isappeared

I watched this last night and, unlike Hunting Hitler, this seemed to be based on some solid evidence. Did anyone else watch the show, and if you did, what do you think?

I recall Leonard Nimoy's "In Search of" series that always carried the "based in part on theory and conjecture" disclaimer. But was the famous aviatrix, who disappeared during a 1937 flight over the Pacific Ocean, actually on a spy mission? There was even a speculative movie based on that premise titled Flight for Freedom (1943) starring Fred MacMurray and Rosalind Russell.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0035888/?re ... lmg_act_60
Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.[center]Image[/center]
[center]"The Angel of Okinawa"[/center]
Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II
dox44

RE: Photo Showing Earhart after plane vanished?

Post by dox44 »

a japanese author, forget her name has pretty ruled this japanese angle out.

probably this is a lot closer to what happened to earhart.

https://tighar.org/Projects/Earhart/AEdescr.html

warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

Captured by the military - so where are all the soldiers? Why are the Japanese taking high-profile US nationals prisoner in 1937 - and then not doing anything with them for 4-years until war breaks out? And why not mention it even after war was begun? Is there any chance of a cunning plan rearing its head here?

This photo was buried in the national archives. So what date was it taken, exactly where and why would it have been put in a file apparently with no other documentation to confirm who its of? What 'solid' evidence were they offering?

I'm struggling with this one [:D]

Now Maitland, now's your time!

Duke of Wellington to 1st Guards Brigade - Waterloo 18 June 1815
Zorch

Post by Zorch »

I agree the Japanese captive theory is far-fetched.
TIGHAR has been to Gardner/Nikumaroro many times over 20+ years. Each time they find something to justify another expedition without finding anything conclusive.
The 'mainstream' belief is that Earhart crashed into the sea near Howland.

All of these theories are based on conjecture and analysis. The truth will probably never be known, as after 80 years the evidence has decomposed/disappeared.

decaro

Post by decaro »

But did anyone watch the History Channel Special last night (Sunday, July 9)
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

I read about what they were going to show and decided to skip it.

The different things I have read have not been kind to Fred Noonan.

If even some of the things they said about him were true I would not want him navigating my plane.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: sulla05

I read about what they were going to show and decided to skip it.

The different things I have read have not been kind to Fred Noonan.

If even some of the things they said about him were true I would not want him navigating my plane.

Both Earhart and Noonan lacked radio skills, e.g., neither was proficient in Morse code, which was essential for gaining long range bearings from the Coast Guard cutter stationed at Howland Island.

Frankly, I don't think Earhart's flying skills were sufficient to fly an aircraft as advanced as the Lockheed Electra 10E.

https://airandspace.si.edu/stories/edit ... navigation
ezzler

Post by ezzler »

Hello. I'm Leonard Nimoy. The following tale of alien encounters is true. And by true, I mean false. It's all lies.
But they're entertaining lies. And in the end, isn't that the real truth?

The answer is no.
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

ORIGINAL: warspite1

Captured by the military - so where are all the soldiers? Why are the Japanese taking high-profile US nationals prisoner in 1937 - and then not doing anything with them for 4-years until war breaks out? And why not mention it even after war was begun? Is there any chance of a cunning plan rearing its head here?

This photo was buried in the national archives. So what date was it taken, exactly where and why would it have been put in a file apparently with no other documentation to confirm who its of? What 'solid' evidence were they offering?

The Yamato as laid down 4 November 1937. No planning there.
All your Tanks are Belong to us!
panzer
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Mobius

warspite1

Sorry, what has the Yamato got to do with the disappearance of Amelia Earhart?

Lecivius

Post by Lecivius »

warspite1

I am SO confused [&:][X(][:-]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Cik

Post by Cik »

he's presumably implying that earhart was on a covert mission to photograph the yamato, and was killed in the attempt.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Cik

he's presumably implying that earhart was on a covert mission to photograph the yamato, and was killed in the attempt.
warspite1

Well if so:

a) then why not go to Japan? I mean you don't visit Munich to see the Eiffel Tower do you?
b) Who knew about the Yamato being laid down? I'll need to check, but I understood her size was a closely guarded secret so why would Earhart be sent to spy on a ship that, as far as anyone knew - was nothing special?

Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

warspite1

Well if so:

a) then why not go to Japan? I mean you don't visit Munich to see the Eiffel Tower do you?
b) Who knew about the Yamato being laid down? I'll need to check, but I understood her size was a closely guarded secret so why would Earhart be sent to spy on a ship that, as far as anyone knew - was nothing special?
All she would of seen was the world's biggest rope blanket that hid it from view anyway. Musashi was a little harder to hide, as it was in view of the American consulate in Nagasaki.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
warspite1

Post by warspite1 »

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

warspite1

Well if so:

All she would of seen was the world's biggest rope blanket that hid it from view anyway. Musashi was a little harder to hide, as it was in view of the American consulate in Nagasaki.
warspite1

She had bloody good eyesight then. What's the distance from Kure/Nagasaki to the Marshalls? [;)]

Mobius

Post by Mobius »

warspite1

While it was 4 years to the attack on the US that Japan suspicious of any foreigners showing up on what may be a potential base. Or, maybe spying.
Four years to build the Yamato so it shows they were planning something back then. Or, do you think Japan decided on a whim to go to war November 1941?
panzer
Aurelian

Post by Aurelian »

Four years to build the Yamato so it shows they were planning something back then. Or, do you think Japan decided on a whim to go to war November 1941?

What they were planning by building it was quality over quantity, as they knew they couldn't match the USN in numbers. They certainly could not fulfill their 8-8 program.
Watched a documentary on beavers. Best dam documentary I've ever seen.
sullafelix

Post by sullafelix »

Apparently some people have found that the picture in question was in a book dated 1935.

That would be two years before her flight.
Windows 7 home premium 64
Intel quad core I7
16 gig
AMD R9 200 series

Di! Ecce hora! Uxor mea me necabit!
decaro

Post by decaro »

ORIGINAL: sulla05

Apparently some people have found that the picture in question was in a book dated 1935.

That would be two years before her flight.

"... on Tuesday, a blogger the Guardian identified as military history buff Kota Yamano published a post showing the image in question in a book from 1935—two years before Earhart even left on her trip.

"'I have never believed the theory that Earhart was captured by the Japanese military, so I decided to find out for myself,' Yamano told the Guardian of his search for the picture. The photo was the 10th item that came up.'

"Yamano pointed out that the picture, labeled 'Jaluit Atoll,' appears in an old book written in Japanese and released in Palau. The page was scanned and catalogued into the National Diet Library."

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/amelia ... spartandhp
Mobius

Post by Mobius »

A blogger that a tabloid newspaper found. You can't get more iron clad than that.
panzer

Return to “General Discussion”